"Speak English" - Page 5

View Poll Results :Should the sign be taken down?
Yes 3 13.04%
No 20 86.96%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

--
"Speak English"

March 29th, 2008  
mmarsh

"Speak English"
"Further I could give a red p**s about what sign a business owner hangs in his place of business. It's his business he can run it however he wants". -USMC03

I don't disagree, however the owner could stand to learn a few lessons in tact. The condescending tone of the sign really wasn't necessary, he could have said what he said without humiliating the Spanish speaking community. "No hablo Espanol" would have been enough.
March 29th, 2008  
doc

I think its just respectful to the host nation to atleast know a few phrases even if you are the best at spaking it.
March 30th, 2008  
Missileer

If someone wants to run a business by his rules, let them work for the money to finance and operate one of his own.
--
"Speak English"
March 31st, 2008  
A Can of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
"Further I could give a red p**s about what sign a business owner hangs in his place of business. It's his business he can run it however he wants". -USMC03

I don't disagree, however the owner could stand to learn a few lessons in tact. The condescending tone of the sign really wasn't necessary, he could have said what he said without humiliating the Spanish speaking community. "No hablo Espanol" would have been enough.
I think this is a pretty good point.
March 31st, 2008  
KJ

Quote:
Mandatory? No. Tolerant of those who cannot speak English? Yes.

BTW. One reason I got hired at one job was BECAUSE I spoke a foreign language, not because i didn't.
This discussion really didnīt need more then this IMHO.

In our country english is a mandatory subject in schools from the age of 10.
Thus a large portion of the people are bilingual, at the age of 14 you have the option of learning a third language in school as well.
I have never found it very hard to learn enough of languages to make myself atleast somewhat understood by the locals.

Having said that.
If an american citizen ventured to visit my nation I would appreciate the gesture of trying to learn atleast a few phrases of our language.
If not I would not deny him assistance if he asked me for it in another language.
But maybe thatīs just my take on common curtesy.

//KJ.
March 31st, 2008  
Marinerhodes

Quote:

Where is the condescension? Where is it putting another person down by words or deeds? Where is it making one person feel like another has superiority? Reread exactly what was on the sign and then reread the definition. This is one simple statement: "This is America, when ordering speak english."

Now on to the other portion: Where was the Hispanic/Latino/<insert favorite PC label here> community humiliated? This is about the english language. Seems to me you and many others are jumping to conclusions this is/was directed solely at the spanish speaking populace. That smacks of racism and/or racial profiling. But of course none of you probably think you are racist in any extreme because you think this guy should take his sign down. Just food for thought.

If a person wants to get offended by something just come on down to where I work. I assure you that you will be offended all day long and I won't have to say a single word to you or about you. I am about as smooth as 60 grit sandpaper.

If you wish to be humiliated then go stand in the middle of the "City of Brotherly Love" or "Birthplace of America" aka Philadelphia, PA and beg for change or a handout so you can get some food. That would be humiliation. The sad thing is the guy at that store would likely feed you regardless if you spoke english or not. Yet people are trying to stomp on his right to say what he wants even when it offends others. I believe we covered this topic in another thread. If I am not mistaken some of those saying the signs need to be removed/reworded are/were the biggest proponents for letting a person speak their mind with few or no limitations.

Where was the Constitution written? Oh yeah, Philadelphia, PA. Remarkable how the birthplace of the US Constitution forgets simple things like the 1st Amendment.
April 1st, 2008  
A Can of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ
Having said that.
If an american citizen ventured to visit my nation I would appreciate the gesture of trying to learn atleast a few phrases of our language.
If not I would not deny him assistance if he asked me for it in another language.
But maybe thatīs just my take on common curtesy.

//KJ.
I agree on that, but I don't think the sign was necessary. And if it were, it could have been put in a nicer way.
Maybe I'll go there and fart my guts out... hey no sign about farting is there?
I think I know how to say the basic phrases for just about every country I've visited except Greece and Denmark.
April 1st, 2008  
03USMC

Just me but I don't find the sign to be racist.

Here's the thing. Everyone has the right to frequent or not frequent the business. If the sign offends someone then eat somewhere else.
April 1st, 2008  
AZ_Infantry

Much ado about nothing.

Could he have phrased the sign differently? Of course. He COULD have put a sign up that said "No smoking" or "This is America: We don't serve drunk people."

It's political correctness once again run a muck. Every time anyone so much as utters "English only" the minority crowd deals the racism card, and it's a tired argument to be sure.

I'm getting really sick at everyone being offended at everything all the time. Grow some short hairs and stop getting offended. Take a walk, have a beer, get laid... Do something. Constantly looking for bad in the world, you're sure to find it.

He should be able to leave it up in whatever verbiage he chose to put on it. This is none of big brother's business. Sure, I give you that it does come off as being rude, but what many do not understand is just how peed off *some* of us Americans are at the illegal immigration issue this country faces. We're telling the government to close the borders, and they are looking at us like WE are the ones talking in another language. Greek, perhaps. Or maybe because most of us choose not to lie we actually ARE talking in another language to a politician.

*Shrug*

20 million invaders every year. Not all of them are Latino, so I am making no blanket statement. Our culture is being invaded every bit as though this was a war - just a war without shooting at each other.

And many of us are just fed up with it. As all of you know, when you get upset your patterns of please and thank you and being all nice-nice tend to lapse.

Want to blame someone for the way the sign is worded? Then you have to assign EQUAL blame: Owner for writing it, government for ignoring the issue that led to it, and the illegals that are the direct cause of it.

And before I get accused: I don't have a bigoted bone in my body. I adore most of the Mexican people, in fact, and I honestly enjoy interacting with cultures of all types. I'm just sick and tired of MY culture not being respected.

Want respect? Give respect.
April 1st, 2008  
Fox

I'm suprised all of you haven't mention about the sign languages, yet, since they are considered the foreign languages, so, try not to forget about it, though.

I'm a bilingual in fluently English/ASL (American Sign Language); I'm not really sure about the sign, "Speak English only," since most of the deaf Americans aren't good at the speech skills but they can read in English, and doesn't speak properly or not. Well, think about that.

It took me about ten years to speak well in English with a speech therapist since I'm a profoundly deaf with a cochlear implants, it wasn't easy at all.