"Speak English"

Should the sign be taken down?

• Yes

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 82.6%

• Total voters
Indeed you do but then those it is aimed at also get their say.

As others have already stated most businesses are clever enough not to get caught up in this sort of thing, had he been a smarter businessman he would have kept his politics to himself.

"We reserve the right to refuse to serve anyone."

Sound business isn't about taking in every dollar available, it is about building a customer base that remains dedicated to your methods. Give me the $20/20 days in repeat business over Joe Shmoe's $1/today in-n-out anyday. Consistency is what keeps a business operating - serving anyone at anytime is what you do to launch it off the ground.

While I agree that it is wise business to avoid politics, it is also wise business to build a customer base on ethics and service, not the bottom line dollar.

Not disagreeing with you, just adding my perspective.

I would agree but I would add that as a business man I would prefer the $20/20 days repeat business as well as the $1/today crowd.

As I posted back at the very start of this thread I don't disagree with the point he is trying to make but I believe that it was more than possible to get the same point across without pissing people off and costing himself business.

Basically I agree with Mmarsh on this matter.

Latinos did not bring the lawsuit. The chairman of the Human Relations Commission brought the lawsuit. No lawsuit nor complaints made up to that point.

I can easily avoid many situtations by not saying anything or by not doing anything. That does not mean I am right nor does it mean I am wrong. it just means I lack the commitment to my convictions. Apparently this gentleman thought enough of his ideals and stood by his convictions to spend the money and have the sign made. If more people did the same I can almost guarantee you would see much more of this type of thing.

Why would he have to say "We are sorry" ? Does he have to apologize for not being able to speak another language? I mean how far does one have to go to be able to say what they mean without having to walk on eggshells for fear of offending someone?

We all have our ideas of politeness. I feel this is just plain asinine that this even went so far as a lawsuit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Philadelphia Human Rights Commission didn't not bring a lawsuit all by itself. It acted on behalf of a complaint that was filed in its offices filed by
the Hispanic community.

Here is the article from FOXNEWS.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,198757,00.html

If you read the owners own words he is making it clear that he is making a POLITICAL statement, and incidentally he recently donated $10,000 to the Hazelton Fund (a anti-illegal immigrant organization). Then again he is Italian-American and while they are wonderful people, it has to be said that Italian-American neighborhoods aren't the most tolerant of other cultures either.

From a Harrisburg rally 2007:

“So the Spanish people I say to you, you want to be prosperous - ’cause I called you morons and I’m going to tell you why (audience laughing). As long as you’ve got Spanish in the school you’ll never ever succeed in the United States of America.”

Incidentally this is what his competition said:

Tony Luke's issued a statement saying it welcomes all customers "whether or not they speak a `wit' of English." And a manager at Pat's, Kathy Smith, said of Geno's English-only policy: "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life. I'd rather listen to the Spanish than the foul language of the college students".

But as you said this is America he is entitled to say whatever he wants. Is he a racist? Probably not. Is he Xenophobic? Well, Its pretty clear based on other statements he made that he doesn't think much about the Hispanic community. Not the best Business savvy either. If the Hispanics want to hurt this guy, take their business elsewhere.

Last edited:
I had put this story up in my forum and posted my opinion.

TogaOga said:
In my opinion, I do not think that it is very Christ-like have a sign such as this. I think this is discrimination. I have friends that even though their parents don't speak english, they do. their parents take their kids with them for interpretation purposes.

I had put this story up in my forum and posted my opinion.

Its nasty to be sure. It might not be illegal but its certainly mean-spirited, and judging from the other owners remarks its done with the intent to be offensive.

The best way to get this guy back to to boycott his restaurant. There are lots of places to get Philly Cheese Steak.

Yeah... boycotting is the best.
You can say what you want but you gotta pay for what you say. Either in advance or after the fact.

Vento said his staff is glad to help non-native speakers order in English and has never turned someone away because of a language barrier.......When a non-English speaking customer showed up at the window a short time later, a clerk patiently coached him through the process. Eventually, both said "cheesesteak."
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,198757,00.html

Unless I misread something nothing in there says who brought the lawsuit. Now if you are talking about Juntos..well that is a perfect example of people looking to make an issue. I mean come on really. If a person has never prevoiusly frequented the place and goes into that place just to make trouble then they are the ones that need to rethink what they are doing. Their politics if you will.

Sure, he can pay for what he says as all do. But the fact remains he is allowed to do so.

As for listening to the spanish language all day rather than listen to college students? If you can speak and understand it fine. But how do you know they aren't being just as dirty and foul-mouthed as college students?

Last edited:
I`ve been in businesses, especially Mom`N`Pop owned, where they set the rules and you could take your business elsewhere as far as they were concerned. "No soup for you or you or you." :twisted:

Back