Soviets fire on British troops. Berlin 1945

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
A very good friend of mine related a tale of Soviets who opened fire on a convoy of British trucks carry troops.

In the summer of 1945 a convoy of British trucks were travelling along the HeerStrasse in Berlin. At a Soviet road block, the Russians opened fire killing a number of British troops in the first 2 trucks. The rest of the convoy retaliated, killing the Soviets.

Later that night the 7th Armoured Brigade assaulted a line of Soviet tanks, killing the tanks and anyone that was seen. The Brigade was then pulled back to barracks.

The next morning a parade was held and every soldier was warned that the “incident” the previous night did NOT happen. Anyone speaking about the incident would be court martialled. A major cover up ensued.

I've tried to do a search on this incident, but have so far come up empty. Has anyone heard about this incident?

Last edited:
My old unit pushed up into the Baltic and took this small town, now they made free with lasses there. Well later on a group of Russians arrived high on Rocket fuel and demanded that they turn all the women over to them or they would take them by force. Well they tried and left 300 dead behind them.

Basically Le, your post confirms what my mate told me. During his time in Berlin he did state there were a number of “minor” incidents between the British and the Russians. I wonder how many more “shooting” incidents there were?

Back