The Soviets Attack on the Japs

I3BrigPvSk

The Viking
I watched the documentary "Soviet Storm" about the Russian attack on Japan and I got the impression the Japanese forces surrendered in a way they didn't do when they fought the US forces. If that is the case, why didn't they fight in the suicidal way like they did on the Pacific islands? The Japs even fought on what they considered to be their home islands and yet they preferred to surrender.

The TV series Soviet Storm isn't what I consider to be a good Tv series. I need to find books about the Soviet Union's attack on Japan in the far East.

From what I've read they seem to have collapsed fairly quickly in the N.E. China/Korea area.

I doubt the Japanese were expecting an attack especially as they were dealing with the Russians regarding ending the war.
There was little to no chance that an under strength Japanese army was ever going to put up much of a fight against a Russian army with all the heavy material it possessed.

We all know how the Japanese fought the Americans. It was a war of attrition and the US forces were forced to kill almost all Japanese soldiers on those islands (Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Peleliu, and Tarawa to mention a few of them) . I find it strange the Japs didn't fought in same way against the Russians

Back