South Korea surrenders to the Taliban

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
South Korea's religious workers who were captured by the Taliban have been released. But of course one of the demands that the South Korean government has accepted is the complete withdrawl of South Korean troops from Afghanistan. The plan is that no South Korean servicemen will be in Afghanistan by the beginning of September.
The South Korean government ignored the Afghan government and dealt with the Taliban directly.
I can't believe I hold the passport of this sort of country.
But a bunch of religious workers going against the orders of the government to not go got themselves captured and handed the Taliban a sweeping victory over South Korea. Outstanding. Great job guys.
Anyways, South Korean troops will remain in Iraq for some time but I think the Iraqi insurgents have just figured out how to get rid of them.

Brace yourselves folks, they found something that works. There will be more of this coming to a country near you soon. My advice to any country assisting militarily is to have all your civilian do-gooders didi post haste. At this point I am very glad the job I tried for last year fell through.

13th I feel your shame. Some countries just don't have the hutzpah for dealing with the breed of ******* the Middle East turns out.

Thing is, Christian groups wield so much influence in South Korea at all levels, even government that no doubt that this is their work.
The South Korean government officially forbade Christian missions to Afghanistan but these idiots decided to go anyway. They even signed papers saying they were willing to die for Christianity.
No doubt the Christian groups tapped their government resources to the max to ensure this outcome. There is a lot of talk in the country that President Noh Mu-hyeon is in a lame duck situation and is in control of absolutely nothing. I believe this is how they managed to take such drastic action.
These guys who went to Afghanistan didn't even have any armed guards contracted to them. They really believed that God would protect them... after all they were doing his work.
Don't these guys even realize that if they do convert someone, it's practically giving that person and perhaps the entire family a death sentence?
I too believe that around the world, kidnapping Koreans will be the "in" thing. First it was big in Somalia with the crew of a ship that was captured by pirates. They got a huge sum of money. Then the Taliban pull off a cheap imitation, get money AND troop removal.
It was Religious Fanatics vs Religious Fanatics with Guns. Personally, I wished the Taliban just did them all. Give the damn Christian movement in South Korea a wakeup call. The problem with Christianity in South Korea is that it is too extreme and far too powerful in all areas, including politics (though unofficially of course).
The dangers of groupthink.
Guy A: Hey, there's guys with guns out there, shouldn't we take precautions?
Guy B: We're doing the Lord's work. God will protect us.
Guy A: ... (can't say anything because he's afraid the group, already staring at him angrily, might accuse him of not having enough faith and therefore make him a bad Christian)

On top of this you have South Korea who's trying to sever ties with the US, the only reliable ally it can ever have, doesn't realize China is a threat but rather naively welcome their rise and thinks North Korea's a great buddy.

And worse, South Korea thinks it's just done a good thing. They think this is a victory.

Oi, I've seen all of this you speak of. It is bewildering.

"Rarely are the actions of any government a true reflection of the character and wishes of its citizens and NEVER is it a measure of the mettle of its warriors."

I think the problem with South Korea lies in the citizens.
They elected a bunch of student demonstrators from the 70s and 80s who have done a fine job of tearing apart the country. The only thing that's kept the country afloat so far is work ethic.

I think Commodore Preble said that "Giving into demands leads only to harsher demands".

A sad turn in the war on terror...

Yeah another blow. And the nature of how it happened is just pathetic... it makes France's defeat in front of the Germans in World War II look like a heroic war effort.

Back in the 80s and 90s, being a Korean was something to be proud of.
Koreans used to be a tough bunch of people who grew from being a poor country into the envy of the eastern hemisphere.
But ever since the student protester types came into power (President Kim Yong-sam and afterwards) the country has taken a strange turn at all levels and it has returned to its old state: unable to deal with foreign affairs and preoccupied with infighting and internal power plays.
If China becomes a major super power capable of evicting the US's presence in the Western Pacific, Korea will fall to the Chinese after Taiwan.
History has a bad habit of repeating itself.

Here is the CNN article:

SEOUL, South Korea (CNN) -- South Korean negotiators in Afghanistan have reached a deal with Taliban militants holding 19 South Korean Christian aid workers for over a month, a presidential spokesman in Seoul said Tuesday.
art.hostages.group.ap.jpg
The group of South Koreans was kidnapped in Ghazni province on July 19.

corner_wire_BL.gif

Seoul welcomes the deal, but spokesman Cheon Ho-sun cautioned that many details must still be worked out and the aid workers will not be released immediately.
Under the terms of the agreement, South Korea agreed to stick by its previous decision to withdraw its 200 non-combat troops from Afghanistan, which work mostly in an engineering and medical capacity.
In addition, Seoul will halt all Christian missionary work in Afghanistan.
The spokesman said there was no agreement to pay the captors, nor was there any mention of releasing Taliban prisoners -- a major demand of the kidnappers.
Taliban spokesman Qari Yousef Ahmadi said delegates from South Korea and the Taliban had "reached an agreement" to free the captives in face-to-face talks Tuesday in the central town of Ghazni.
Twenty-three hostages, all church volunteers, were seized July 19 by the Taliban militant group while they were traveling on a bus in Afghanistan. Two were executed and two others were freed, leaving 19 still in captivity.
While South Korean missionaries have been active in the region, the hostage group's church has said the kidnapped group's trip to Afghanistan did not involve Christian missionary work.
In South Korea the hostages' relatives welcomed news of the deal.
"I would like to dance," said Cho Myung-ho, mother of 28-year-old hostage Lee Joo-yeon, in a report from The Associated Press.
The kidnapping of government officials or foreign aid workers has been used increasingly by insurgents in a bid to destabilize the Western-backed government that took power after the defeat of the Taliban in 2001.
Violence in Afghanistan is running at its highest level since the Taliban were expelled from government nearly six years ago.
(Article continues but is irrelevant to topic).

--------------------------------------------------------

As for that spokesman who said that their work was not religious, I find that hard to believe. For these people, anything not Christian (in the twisted Korean Christianity way) is wrong and doing things in their own manner is just so "obvious" to them that they cannot take accept any other view on reality. I know these types as I've seen them before. They are no smarter than that South Carolina bumbling girl from that youtube video. They think sitting their asses down and praying will solve everything. One wonders what motivates them to go to work. Heck if praying can prevent you from being kidnapped from a kidnap rich environment with guys with guns without any level of protection, I'm sure praying can land you a free chicken dinner.
I agree that all religious work in this area should cease immediately. If they are ever caught again, the South Korean government should demand their immediate release so that they can face execution in South Korea.
Thanks to these clowns, the small RoK military presence in Afghanistan must cease doing its good work.

I saw the video of them doing some song and dance routine for some Stanis and then afterwards PREACHING... I understand enough Korean to know the man was proselytizing. He was going on about how "Christ died for your sins" and it was being translated... if that isn't missionary work then I'm a monkey's uncle.

Like I said, it's pure and complete bull.
Don't these people realize that if they do indeed convert someone, you are handing that person a virtual death sentence??
If you REALLY want to convert someone, you have to:
1) Contact them secretly
2) Take them out of the country legally back to a country that allows people to seek asylum
3) Convert to Christianity in that country
4) Apply for asylum on the grounds that if he/she returns with his/her new religion, or even if he/she converts back, that individual will be killed.

Personally I hate Korean Christianity. Those guys don't even live like true Christians. They do not forgive others and they do not tolerate others. It's some ****ed up twisted b******t pretending to be Christianity.

These guys call people at 2AM to get people to come to their church. They don't realize that not everyone sees the world in a way that the Church (I mean CHURCH not God) sees it.

And now it's led to a major military defeat. Our guys didn't even get to kill a single terrorist.
I fear the day that when I say I was in the RoKMC, people will laugh at me. The reputation and the name that the ones who walked before me made in the Korean War and Vietnam will be smeared in excrement because of events like these.

Sucks for that to happen. Spain did the same thing after the bombing attacks. She pulled out right after the elections.

We're fighting a group of battle harden, smart, evil people. They will do anything and everything to win. Sadly the good guys (You & I) are playing by a set of rules. Our elected officials need to realize that this is a war about survival. It's a fight to the death. Two entire, one leaves. And I'm sure as hell not going to stand aside wanting to be the guy that does not leave.

Sorry for what happened, maybe you can whip your country into shape and have them fire the elected officials and hire some new ones with your next election. If not, move on over to the Southern United States of America (Confederate States). We still understand what the hell is going on in this world.

Maybe the Koreans really had a bad time there? Wrong place at the wrong time?

No, they were there for the wrong purpose and without any precautions. Carelessness and ignorance in the worst sense.

Both my wife and I want to go to the U.S. I've given up on South Korea and it's not even my real country anyway. I associate with its Marine Corps but I've never been a big fan of the civilian population there.

Back