South Korea Orders Six More Type 214 Submarines

rock45

South Korea Orders Six More Type 214 Submarines

By THOMAS NEWDICK
Published: 8 Jan 16:11 EST (21:11 GMT

BERLIN - Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft (HDW) has been contracted to provide South Korea with six additional Type 214 submarines. Announced Jan. 7, the deal has been struck between the South Korean procurement authority and a consortium comprising HDW - part of Hamburg-based ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems AG - and MarineForce International.
The batch of six conventional submarines will be supplied as packages for assembly by local shipyards. The first of the batch is to be built by Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering. Tenders for the production of the second vessel will be submitted in summer 2009.

South Korea ordered a previous batch of three Type 214s in 2000. The first of these was delivered in 2007, and in December 2008 the second was handed over to the South Korean Navy, which designated the boats as the Son Won-il class.
The third submarine is being completed by Hyundai Heavy Industries in Ulsan, which is responsible for construction of the first batch.
Key features of the 1,800-ton Type 214 include an air-independent propulsion system based on hydrogen fuel cells, and a modular construction principle that can be adapted to customer requirements. According to HDW, these six submarines will be "almost identical" to the first batch.
The Type 214 is a further development of the Type 212A used by the German Navy.

Link
http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=3892480&c=SEA&s=TOP

Maps

Looking at a map on Google which side of North Korea has more of a naval threat to South Korea? Or are these subs for future defenses against the Chinese?

I also just learned that North Korea borders Russia I thought China had a little section of land there, didn't know that.

Thanks

Back