South Korea and Japan should build nuclear weapons

Red_Army

I believe the only way for North Korea to give up its nuclear weapons program is if South Korea and Japan threatens to build their own nuclear weapons program. If Japan and South Korea threatened to go nuclear, this will force China to get much tougher on North Korea. The key to stopping North Korea is China.

Actually not even the Chinese have as much control over North Korea as we like to believe. They are having their share of frustrations as well.
The Chinese have been trying to get the North Koreans to behave but without much success.

still, if the chinese cut off all aid/food/fuel, couldnt they get the north in line?
i think the main reason, is that they fear a unified korea, should the north collapse...a strong korea that will be another thorn in their side, alongside japan and india.

No, North Korea survives on the black market.
A unified Korea will initially be a very weak Korea.
The cost that goes into rebuilding North Korea will be astronomical, and of course the war itself would destroy the world's 13th largest economy (along with millions dead). A North-South Korea war is not going to be a small one.
The Chinese prefer having a North Korea around. It acts as a buffer zone between them and the US in South Korea. But they're not a big fan of the games that North Korea plays.

I would worry about N Korea trying to steal nuclear weapons from such close proximity. Maybe if they are stored elsewhere :p

China is under no threat. No one wants to take them on. It would probably be better if NK fell for the Chinese.

No way mate, if NK fell to the Chinese, that would only be the beginning of even worse things to come.
South Korea and Japan would be going nuts over Chinese expansion, so would Southeast Asia for that matter.
The bad news is that there actually is a pretty good chance of this happening.

It's just a scenario that's going to be full of losers.
The only "winners" will be the average North Korean, if only for the reason that it's hard for things to get any worse than they are.
Even a unification with South Korea will be frought with HUGE problems.

As a weapon, nuclear weapons are useless... If you are pushed to use them, it means that you lost the war.

Their only useful aspect would be the deterrence factor.

And I have doubts. North Korea isnt a democracy where the people's opinion matters.

And in fact, the government can even hide this information to the people.

Back