NK getting read to invade SK?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

texasrebel211

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st...a_nkorea_border

SEOUL (AFP) - South Korea (news - web sites)'s frontline military units have been put on their highest state of alert after discovering a hole in a fence that separates it from North Korea (news - web sites), defense officials said.

The defense ministry said a small hole was found overnight on a wire fence on the South's side of the Demilitarized Zone that has divided the two Koreas since the 1950-1953 Korean War.

Ministry official Oh Jeong-Hee told AFP that an investigation was under way to search for a possible infiltration by North Korean elements.

"The ministry put the military units in charge of the border area on the highest 'Jindogae I' alert immediately and also other units in its surrounding areas on alert."

The "Jindogae I" alert is the highest level for South Korean military to cope with the possible intrusion of armed guerrillas from the communist North.

He said South Korean soldiers found a breach in the wire fence at Yeoncheon, 62 kilometers (40 miles) north of Seoul early Tuesday.

The military set up check points in and around the area to conduct inspections of cars and motorists on all major roads and streets into Seoul, he said.

Could this be a beginning to something? IMO it is probably just another infiltration by North Korean agents.

edit: Poll added, and btw I my grandma is from South Korea :p

They do this sort of sh*t all the time trying to get our attention. Blinding pilots with lasers, “accidental” machinegun discharge, and tunnel digging are all commonplace. Kim Jong il and his cronies love to beat their chest and act all badass, but they dare not actually do anything. If we have to intervene again, we are not bringing the UN and I think he knows that.

This happens all the time.

Which is why I am very critical of those who are so kind about North Korea. These guys send commandos through the fences, gunboats to fire on our ships etc. and you expect me to put on a kind face for them? Forget it! And then occasionally a gun battle erupts, a few of our guys die. Urrghh...

N.Korea does not want to bother anyone at all.

As long as they are left alone and are able to do whatever in their own country, they will find that fine enough.

This digging tunnel thing is not meant for something "big" actually.

Yeah, its just an unfriendly reminder, "By the way SK, is case you forgot us this is your hostile neighbor to the north letting you know that we enjoy screwing with your head. Don't forget us and don't forget our vow to invade you!!"

Yeah I agree.

By throwing out some "empty" threats, it may increase the importance of NK.

But still, NK is a dangerous military power.

Does anyone know if the American troops are on any such alert? Because my brother is in Korea right now and we (my family) haven't heard from him in a little while, I've been trying to find out anything I can.

Usually they are left alone.
The problem with North Korea is that they want attention. That's why they do all kinds of stuff. Nuke threats, invasion threats, "turn Seoul into a sea of fire" threats. All just to get the attention of the Americans.
The only intervention is nuke prevention.

FlyingFrog said:
N.Korea does not want to bother anyone at all.

As long as they are left alone and are able to do whatever in their own country, they will find that fine enough.

This digging tunnel thing is not meant for something "big" actually.

Don't worry, there's not going to be a war over this. Your brother will be fine and please extend my gratitude for serving in my country.

FutureRANGER said:
Does anyone know if the American troops are on any such alert? Because my brother is in Korea right now and we (my family) haven't heard from him in a little while, I've been trying to find out anything I can.

Its reassuring that Kim Jong-Il and Fidel Castro, two of the biggest nutjob heads of state in the world, are both NOT in control of nations with greater power and influence than they are.

I certainly will the_13th_redneck, thank you. I'm not worried over anything like that, I was just speculating mostly as to why we may not have heard from him.

NThe bad thing is South Korea is failing into the threats. They are moving their capitol in 2014 100 miles South of Seoul. However North Korea knows that they may get in and win the first battle but the minute America gets time to relise what is goin on they are screwed. Plus South Korea has 4 million reserves so they ain't exactly going to be out numbered. Plus North kore has a large Military,yeah, the problem is all of that stuff is left over from the earlier USSR days. However South Korea has advanced thier military greatly.

As mentioned before the major NK threat is possibly Nukes and Special Forces.
The problem is, we don't know if they really have Nukes, and how many of their "Special Forces" are actually the hard core elite troops that we've become familiar with over the years.
The other thing is will.
A lot of South Koreans (however not me) have been somewhat brainwashed into believing that the North Koreans like us. This may play a crucial role in the very early stages of the conflict as it will maximize the shock value of a North Korean blitz attack if such a thing ever comes.

But back to the topic: No there is not going to be a war over this. Worse things have happened and war still didn't break out into full scale.

the_13th_redneck said:
As mentioned before the major NK threat is possibly Nukes and Special Forces.
The problem is, we don't know if they really have Nukes, and how many of their "Special Forces" are actually the hard core elite troops that we've become familiar with over the years.
The other thing is will.
A lot of South Koreans (however not me) have been somewhat brainwashed into believing that the North Koreans like us. This may play a crucial role in the very early stages of the conflict as it will maximize the shock value of a North Korean blitz attack if such a thing ever comes.
Good to hear what it is like over there. I am part Korean from my dad's side of the family. Isn't there some kind of reuinifiaction movement over there?

Reunification movements have been around since the split.
Yes nowadays the public is crazy about unification, while not thinking through the costs, the consequences and the process of unification. Without thinking of the economic, psychological factors.
It's hugely popular, probably hit the highest during Kim Dae-jung's term... though nowadays it seems quite a few people are becoming discouraged.
It's a long, complicated story.
I would love to see a united Korea. However, I think after almost 60 years of seperation, this may prove to be a disaster for both sides.

Btw. I will have to warn you my views are not really mainstream. They are conservative and it seems it's hard to come by conservatives in my age group (I am 23).

the_13th_redneck said:
Reunification movements have been around since the split.
Yes nowadays the public is crazy about unification, while not thinking through the costs, the consequences and the process of unification. Without thinking of the economic, psychological factors.
It's hugely popular, probably hit the highest during Kim Dae-jung's term... though nowadays it seems quite a few people are becoming discouraged.
It's a long, complicated story.
I would love to see a united Korea. However, I think after almost 60 years of seperation, this may prove to be a disaster for both sides.

Btw. I will have to warn you my views are not really mainstream. They are conservative and it seems it's hard to come by conservatives in my age group (I am 23).
Well same thing goes for the US. LOL I am conservitive but I am 14. Those hardcore gun loving conservitives got to me too early lol :p

Most likely if NK invades they will do it on all fronts and then try to pour in troops through any holes created. Their main objective would of course be Seoul.

edit: too bad there is no korean flag here

NK has 1mil troops sitting on the boarder, if he wanted to invade SK he could at any time he wanted. The 30k US troops sitting there would be a minor speed bump. Like everyone else said, Kim Jung Il is full of :cen:. All he wants is the attention of the world community so he can get international aid. We give it to him to keep his mouth shut. He can talk all the trash he wants though. He knows that if he invaded SK he'd have about 48hrs before the US got their forces in position to put him back in his place.

This nuke thing is a joke too. He's a dictator and has power over NK. Does anyone think he'd be willing to give up his power by getting wiped out by the US? Why do you think Saddam was so adament about not having any WMDs? He didn't want to lose his power. He knew if Iraq collapsed he'd be a nobody (like he is now). I'm sure Kim Jung Il watches CNN and saw what was going on.

The problem with shoving so many peopel on the border like that is that these border areas are actually classified as "no mans land." Meaning this is where everyone's artillery can hit.
There will be a huge artillery duel which is why South Korea invested so much resources into counter battery systems. They track tube launches and direct fire onto them.

But we gotta stay on topic so: The answer is, no. There is no significantly higher threat of a full scale war breaking out.

Back