South American militaries

Shadowalker

I was wondering how do south american countries militaries compare, i expect brazil to have the strongest military, but how do the other countries compare. Argentina and peru i think would have the next most powerful militaries as they have a history of military coups! anybody have any info?

I just did a paper on Narcoterrorism and i briefly went over the support that some countries in South America get by the US. For example, Columbia is getting huge amounts of support because 90% of all cocaine that comes into the US is from Columbia. But because of the terrorist/militias there the government can do little to fight them. Even with US and nearly $1.5 bil they have yet to even dent the trade.

Most of South America's Militaries are geared toward Counter Insurgency Operations. Be it groups like MRTA, Sendero Luminoso, FARC. Tupac Amaru what have you. Most now have ties to Narcotics Trafficing since the Cuban by way of the USSR money has dried up.

Peru, Colombia, Ecuador, and Boliva all have very good Special Forces type units to deal with these threats. Most of their Officers have recieved some training from the US or other Countries.

The National Police of many countries in South America is a more Para-Military unit than Police Dept's in the US. That have strong special op's units and even expeditionary (within the country) capabilities.

03USMC said:
Most of South America's Militaries are geared toward Counter Insurgency Operations. Be it groups like MRTA, Sendero Luminoso, FARC. Tupac Amaru what have you. Most now have ties to Narcotics Trafficing since the Cuban by way of the USSR money has dried up.

Peru, Colombia, Ecuador, and Boliva all have very good Special Forces type units to deal with these threats. Most of their Officers have recieved some training from the US or other Countries.

The National Police of many countries in South America is a more Para-Military unit than Police Dept's in the US. That have strong special op's units and even expeditionary (within the country) capabilities.

Agreed, at one time Venezuela had a decent special operations capability, but it has vanished. Columbia is a very mixed bag, from very good, to totally useless, but I would let the spec ops units fight by my side in the jungle down there in a minute.

It amazes me to an extent that Chavez has let the military in Venezuela degrade like he has. My thoughts are that he really fears a coup and he has gotten most of the Spec Op's guys out of the way.

Yeah the military was a big political player in the past, with many military coups! Whats the equipment used in thees countries militaries like? Do they mainly have light infantry/mobile/ airbourne troops to counter the narcotics indusrty or are there a lot of mechanized, armoured units?

Most are geared are around the light infantry concept with air assualt capabilities. They also have mech capabilties, and airborne capabilities.
I recall back in the 80's El Salvador had a Parachute designated regiment on paper but it's air arm lacked the lift capability to deploy more than Company as paratroopers at one time.
When you deal with Air Assault or Airborne the militaries lift capabilty may preclude the number that will actually deploy that way as opposed to mech or light.

In South America most countries terrians are diverse Coastal Plain, Coastal Desert, Rain forset, Moutains etc. that that will decide on how they are deployed.

I have been reading, that in the past, as recently as 1995 there have been wars between the countries, in 1995 it was between Peru and Ecuador. Are there any reasons why there would be any more wars in the region? And which countries have the best resources to fight the wars? Have any of the countries been involved in peace keeping operations?

There are always disputed borders. But as of 2001 the last time I was in Peru the Border with Ecuador seemed to be a non issue.
The biggest flash point would be an all out offensive whatever guerilla organization in whatever country.

I do not know of any Latin American Country that has provided peace keepers. Unless some went to Haiti.

How are the economies of the countries? Could there possibly be another military coup, in e.g. Peru, or Bolivia if the people are unhappy with the government?

03USMC said:
Most are geared are around the light infantry concept with air assualt capabilities. They also have mech capabilties, and airborne capabilities.
I recall back in the 80's El Salvador had a Parachute designated regiment on paper but it's air arm lacked the lift capability to deploy more than Company as paratroopers at one time.
When you deal with Air Assault or Airborne the militaries lift capabilty may preclude the number that will actually deploy that way as opposed to mech or light.

In South America most countries terrians are diverse Coastal Plain, Coastal Desert, Rain forset, Moutains etc. that that will decide on how they are deployed.

As you probably know, many of the El Salvadorian Airborne troops were taugh to jump from helos, with a jungle penetration goal. So, like many of the other SA militaries, their airborne capability usually went hand in hand with their spec ops.

Yes and they are usually small compared to US standards Bn or regt strength. I think especially in the mid 80's having a parachute capability was more of status symbol in Latin America than anything.

are the south american militaries limited in there abilities to combat drug growers by there lack of airbourne capabilities?

No not really. It's intel on where the labs and coca fields are. That coupled by corruption on the part of military and police officals who are on the Cartels payrolls. One past Colombian president accepted donations from one of the cartels. The fact is that the Cartels can and do pay more than the goverments. The current Colombian President Uribe however has pretty much drawn the line.

As far as air power effecting them most SA militaries have enough to get their elements into combat.And with the proper intel they especially the SF
formations can do really good work.

Certain Private Companies also provide airborne intelligence assets for the coca producing nations militaries.

are the south american militaries limited in there abilities to combat drug growers by there lack of airbourne capabilities?

Not actually, South American Militaries are able and overly suffecient to combat Drug Growers.

As USMC03 have said, intelligence gathering and anti-corruption is the base of the effort.

I'd like to add that during the past year, particularly in Columbia, the US funded air sorties that use herbicide to destroy coca plants. They destroyed almost 1/3 of the plants but barely did anything to dent the coca trade (as far as they can tell by the price of drugs in the US).

As far as money goes. Pablo Escobar and the Medellin Cartel was making billions from the trade. They actually offered to pay off the national debt and in exchange they be left alone. This was during the time Pablo was trying to be "legit" by running for office. But Cesar Gaviria, the President of Columbia at the time, refused. Corruption was so deep at that time that people were afraid to confront Escobar. Anyone who did was assassinated on the spot. There was one assassination that occured during broad daylight infront of all types of security while the politician was making a speech.

But like it's been mentioned, the corruption in the government and justice system impede progress more than the actual combat between drug cartels and the military.

Shadowwalker if you want the most probable flash point in SA. Keep track of whats happening in Venezuela. Col. Chavez is setting the stage for dictatorship. The likelihood of a popular uprising might be pretty good.

Thanks, ive always been interested in SA and one of my dreams is to go treking in the andes and amazon, which is mainly why im very interested, and its quite interesting, the history, the people etc.

Your right. South America is a wonderful place. The culture, the people and the history. I've traveled there quite a bit.

If and when you go. You need to check the US State Department Warnings and Advisories for travelers.

Several Guerilla groups in SA fund themselves thru kiddnappings, and in the Andes and the Amazon regions of some countries parts are controlled by Guerilla Groups.

Back