South African potholes

But I bet you don't find giraffes standing inside them.:mrgreen:

That reminds me of a time I nearly ran over a giraffe, but that's another story.:roll:

Nah, we tend to get drunks standing in them instead! ;) :lol:

Nearly "ran over" a giraffe? :shock:

Nah, we tend to get drunks standing in them instead! ;) :lol:

Nearly "ran over" a giraffe? :shock:

I took the missus and my kids to a wildlife sanctuary here in SA when they were young, as usual when my two kids get together they argue and fight, I turned around to clout them when my missus shouted "STOP, STOP, STOP, I turned back to see a giraffe right in front of me that had come out of the bush beside the road, I hit the brakes and managed to stop about 6 inches from him. The giraffe looked at me, then walked away. Then my daughter who was about 4 at the time said, "Bad Daddy, you nearly ran over a giraffe."

That reminds me of a time I nearly ran over a giraffe, but that's another story.:roll:

We had wild boars the size of baby hippos in Germany, they would run out of the woods on the range road, collide with your car and write it off!!! :shock:

I took the missus and my kids to a wildlife sanctuary here in SA when they were young, as usual when my two kids get together they argue and fight, I turned around to clout them when my missus shouted "STOP, STOP, STOP, I turned back to see a giraffe right in front of me that had come out of the bush beside the road, I hit the brakes and managed to stop about 6 inches from him. The giraffe looked at me, then walked away. Then my daughter who was about 4 at the time said, "Bad Daddy, you nearly ran over a giraffe."

That's one way to write your car off! ;)

And the boar would walk off uninjured? :lol:

Yeah the nasty gits! We were once out one morning for a platoon run when 2 of the barstards chased us all up a tree! We were clinging on for grim death as they head butted the trunk trying to dislodge us! This was before the days of the mobile phone and we had to wait until the range master drove passed and scared them off with a blast of air horn. :shock:

If you had any initiative about you, you would have shot it and had a nice hog roast cooked above an open fire! ;) :D

We went out armed with only our dazzling good looks and quick wit. :lol: Are you joining the pack BIA? you're already half way there with your username. ;)

One thing I remember about Germany, a bloke was riding a moped on a footpath next to some woods in Hamelin, a Police helicopter landed, nicked the bloke and took off again.:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

The fuel used taking off probably cost more then the fine given to the moped rider.:rolleyes:

That's one way to write your car off! ;)

Takes more than a giraffe to write off a Land Rover 110.;)

Last edited:

You nearly ran over a giraffe? :roll:

Thats the trouble with these animals, they are so well camoufladged that it is difficult to notice them... :cool:

A Land Rover 110? Nice. :rock:

A proper solid 4x4.

I took it with me to South Africa from UK.

In UK I was on a roundabout when a Vauxhall Corsa driven by a somewhat elderly chap, didn't give way to me, he didn't even slow down. For some reason I knew what was going to happen and waited for the bang. He hit my Land Rover on the rear wheel hub pushing me sideways about two or three feet, the Corsa ended up wrapped around one of the outriggers from the chassis that attaches the body. I climbed out of my Land Rover somewhat furious, I phoned old bill, as I wanted the bugger nicked. To cut a long story short old bill basically said it was a waste of time nicking him, he'd be dead before the case got to court.

The front wheel of his Corsa was under the car, his headlight and direction indicators was about 50 yards up the road. The only damage to my Land Rover was in front of the wheel arch and the sill, his car was a write off. I am convinced to this day that my land Rover saved my life, if I had been driving an ordinary car I would have been dead.

Sadly I got rid of my Land Rover after it threw a piston ring. I'd love to get another one.

Back