sound...

rotc boy

well, because of that problem i was having with my comp...i decided to take the easy way out and just reinstall windows and wipe everything that was there...but then i forgot that when we got this comp 6 years ago, soon after we lost the sound driver. To make things harder, it isnt a sound card, its a sound chip, so the only way that i know of to find out what the driver is that i need, is to open up the comp, take out the chip, and look at it.

my question for the computer genius's is:
is there any way to find out without taking it out

i seem to have lost my super-mini screwdriver.:???:

and please no comments from the peanut gallery who will have nothing to add-you know who you are;)

All you should have to do is open the case and look at the chip. It should have the name and model number printed on it.

ya, but to actually see the words, i have to physically take the chip out, because of the way its positioned

If you know what kind of motherboard you have, you could always look up what is compatable with it. Might jog your memory.

Find out what motherboard you have (that's hopefully easier than finding the chip), and do a google search for it.

naw, my comps a POS and i should probably start saving up for a new one...

So you put the sound card in your current pc and when you build the new one just take it out lol.

Redleg is correct

Find out the make and model of your motherboard. You should be able to download the driver from their website. I would also recommend you consider getting a external soundcard, onboard soundcard are nowhere near as good and you can always keep your soundcard where you to change pc's. They can go for as little as $30 though a decent soundblaster will set you back about $75.

Back