Sound Off, Marine DEPers!

Damien said:
I'm officially in the DEP as of August 19, 2005... my 17th birthday...

No clue when I'm going to Boot, but I'm gonna request the Island, even though I live in Alaska.

The only way you'll get Parris Island from West of the Mississippi River is as a legacy ship.

Your Father will have had to go thru Boot on the Island. In some rare cases approved by the Corps this extends to brothers or grandfathers.

Otherwise your goin to be a Hollywood Marine.

03USMC said:
Damien said:
I'm officially in the DEP as of August 19, 2005... my 17th birthday...

No clue when I'm going to Boot, but I'm gonna request the Island, even though I live in Alaska.

The only way you'll get Parris Island from West of the Mississippi River is as a legacy ship.

Your Father will have had to go thru Boot on the Island. In some rare cases approved by the Corps this extends to brothers or grandfathers.
Otherwise your goin to be a Hollywood Marine.

this just shows how important traditions are in The Corps... i never even considered this option being a possibility!
sorry :eek:fftopic:

Lamm said:
I don't want to barge in here, but can a Sr. in High School enter DEP at the beginning of the school year? Also, what comes with being in DEP? What is it exactly? I thought it was a period where they put you on a workout program and you follow it until you reach your goal, is that right? You don't get paid, right?
Thanks,
Lamm

DEP is the Delayed Entry Program and what you do varies from recruiting office to recruiting office. I know ppl that have had DEP "pool" functions where they all meet and do PT or community service once a month or once a week depending on the NCO's that make up that recruiting office.
Personally as a DEP'er all have done in the last 3 months is sign my OPEN contract and take a test on "the knowledge" and do an informal IST (initial strength test). The point of DEP is to get the paper work out of the way and start focussing on things you need to do.
You can enter DEP up to 365 days before your sched day for RT. so being a senior in high school only means that your NCO's at the office will call and get your sched from your teachers and check on your grades and you better believe that if you start slacking off because you have already lined up a job after HS you got another thing coming!!
Each recruit is different in the DEP program as far as the training goes... there are requirements that have to be met before you are shipped to RT. They are (they changed recently and these are correct):
1.5 miles - 13 minutes
50 crunches - 2 minutes
3 pull-ups - consecutive
this also means that Civilian laws aren't the main governing laws over you. You are now governed by the Uniform Code of Military Justice. and the civilian laws as well.

for more info Goggle or click: http://www.marines.com/enlisted_marines/delayedentryprogram.asp

It helps me to have instant access to someone that has had 15 years experience in The Corps. and whenever i have ?'s or need help he is only a phone call away. not to mention all the like minded ppl i get to hang out with and get to know.

this is LONG

03USMC said:
Lamm said:
Hollywood Marines..lol...mean.

I'm a Hollywood Marine. Nuttin wrong with it when you remember the only place the Corps trains women is PI. ;)

I don't know if that's meant as an insult or a lead-on that I want to go to the Island for the women, but either way, its not true. My mom would rather I go through PI than Cali for some odd reason, I have no clue why.

I didn't mean anything about it...just jokin' around.
03USMC...as I was just typin', I got your joke..darn you!
Lamm

yea but you should really wait and think about what your doing before you do it, (ie. enlisting soo early) becuase alot can happen in that years time.....and you have all the time in the world to enlist (to an extent) so you might want to just see what its all about before you jump on the band wagon.....if you want to join DEP for the poole functions well i can tell you they are cool because you get to see what other people are going to be on the island, and possibly be in your platoon, but all the poole functions are basically is to make sure the recruits can pass the minimal requirements for basic (which are a sinch, i did 17wide grip pullups with cold muscles my first ist)you get some exersize in, but your better off exercising on your own, dont depend soly (<---- is that spelled correctly??) on Poole functions to get you marine corps ready, you also learn some drill and ceremony and basic marine corps life. (some history too) I leave 12 September 2005.... anyone else have this ship date on the island??

i jsut got BUMPED in the RT line up!! i did ship out on the 21 of feb. Now it is the 7 of feb!! and that is just around the corner! i better get my orders and rankings memorized!!!

implicature said:
i jsut got BUMPED in the RT line up!! i did ship out on the 21 of feb. Now it is the 7 of feb!! and that is just around the corner! i better get my orders and rankings memorized!!!

did you get forcefully bumped, or were you asked to leave sooner?

Back