Some quotes from 'The Last Samurai'

Acerbus

These are from 'The Last Samurai,' a new movie that recently came out with Tom Cruise and Ken Watanabe loosely about the fall of the samurai during Meiji Japan. All the historical discrepencies aside, I loved every bit of the movie, my experience was much enhanced by all my knowledge acquired over the years regarding the samurai culture and by my plain simple respect to anyone who can be dedicated like that, regardless of the cause.

Anywho, here's a few lines I particularly liked from it.

KATSUMOTO: And you do not fear death. But sometimes you wish for it. Is this not so?
ALGREN: Yes.
KATSUMOTO: I, also. It happens to men who have seen what we have seen. And then I come to this place of my ancestors. And I remember...like these blossoms, we are all dying. To know life in every breath. Every cup of tea. Every life we take. The way of the warrior.
ALGREN: Life in every breath.
KATSUMOTO: That is Bushido.
-from 'The Last Samurai'

KATSUMOTO: You believe a man can change his destiny?
ALGREN: I think a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed.
-'The Last Samurai'

'I belong to the warrior in whom the old ways have joined the new.'
-Inscription on Algren's sword in 'The Last Samurai'

I haven't seen this movie yet.
Maybe I should do so soon.

Is it out on DVD yet?

Emperor: Tell me how he died.
Algren: I will tell you how he died.

I really liked this movie, definitely worth a trip to the theatre.

Thanks - I knew that. It looks pretty stupid the way I typed it. Guess I should have given it a second look.

"I am glad we had this 'conversation'."

I saw this movie when it came out in theatres. I loved it. I really need to get around to buying it on DVD.

One thing my dad and i didnt like about the movie was how he was able to pick up the ways of the Samurai so fast. It was like two years or so?

Well, with what it was, I don't think it was a complete assimilation into the Samurai way, but rather just an adaptation into it from his previous experiences. Like as far as philosophy and whatnot, he already had it there, his stay with Katsumoto just clarified it.

Go to a bookstore or an online one and buy the book "Hagakure". You will understand the samurai way in the time it takes you to read it. If you need more incentive too, when I went to boot, they said I could bring one religious book, that was my choice. I got grief about it being religious and told, not my instructor 'cause he would've just ripped it up and pissed on it, but told the administrators, or the "other" people that I was a Zen Buddhist and if they were ones as well, I would hand over the book. One particular phrase in the book sustained me through BC, "The Way of the Samurai is in desperateness. Ten men or more cannot kill such a man. Common sense will not accomplish great things. Simply become insane and desperate. In the Way of the Samurai, if one uses discrimination, he will fall behind. One needs neither loyalty nor devotion, but simply to become desperate in the Way. Loyalty and devotion are of themselves within desperation."

Back