Some Questions

Lamm

I have a few questions about the split option deal. First off, my recruiter told me if I were to enlist today, I wouldn't go to boot camp 'til 11 months from now. He works at a small station and is only allowed to send 4 recruits out a month. So, that screws my plans up a little, I have to work around this. But, I guess I could go to a bigger station, I could do that, right? Even though the smaller one is closest?
So, he said, since I have to wait 'til I'm eighteen ( Dad won't sign contract), which is next September, to enlist, it would be best for me to as soon as I graduate high school, enlist, go to college and the first summer of college go to boot camp, the next summer, MCT, and the next summer my MOS school. I want Infantry, but the only Reserve Units up here in Oregon are Engineer Units, so it looks like Combat Engineer while I'm a Reservist. But, I might skip a semester of college and do all the training at once. But, if I don't do it all at once, I'll do the split option, or IDT, I think is what its called. My question for that is is after the first summer, after boot camp, do I go to the nearest Reserve Unit and Drill? Then the next summer go to MCT, get back, drill, next summer go to MOS School, and continue drilling? Or would I not get to drill until I finish MOS School?
(Note-I will graduate High School at the age of 17)

Another question, after I complete MOS school, could I go to the School of Infantry th next summer, since I want to be a grunt when I go active? Or just go to SOI when I go active, which will be after college? Can I even become a grunt when I go active?
I know some of you will disagree with me on me taking this route, but I would like some advice. And, yes I will ask my recruiter all of these questions, but I would like your help too.
As always, I appreciate all of your help, and thanks for any and all help.
Lamm

I talked to a buddy of mine today, and he said his sister's boyfriend is in a Infantry Reserve Unit up here in Oregon, Corvallis, Oregon to be exact. Maybe I misunderstood the recruiter, but then again I went to the below website and it shows only Engineer Units.
http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/Units/OR.html
Any input? I'm going to double check with my recruiter, obviously, but I can't do that until Monday.
Thanks,
Lamm

well heck let me see...

since you are going to college i take it you will be pursuing an officer's commision at some point in time. very well...

you will drill between boot and soi. that has been the case with all of the split option Marines that i know up until this point.

not to scare you out of your new career choice or anything but going active isn't as easy as it sounds so watch out for that. also you will have some rank on you once you try to go active and you will have training under your belt. depending on your MOS you may not have too many choices of what you can and cannot do. honestly the best way for you to find out is just to do. i know it sounds scarry as hell but no matter what someone tells you today it can/will change tomorrow!

Back