Some pics from the new German IdZ units

Bratwurst

Germans are planning to build up about 40k of these troops for international intervention. Small units are being deployed in Afghanistan already. What I read sounds promising. They want to participate after all... :shock:

gunz.jpg

gunz2.jpg

gunz3.jpg

gunz4.jpg

Interesting. Know any more about this, i.e. what's the quality of training like, are they all drawn from existing Bundeswehr regiments etc etc. I imagine a lot of these men would come from the fallschimjager division.

Mobile rapid response forces is the way to go at the moment. The prominence of the 55-60 tonne MBT will begin to wane as nations seek to develop and deploy air portable armor more and more.

How good is the Bundeswehr these days? When I was in the British Territorial Army some 10 years ago they were getting to be of a very good standard again.

I'm very curious myself. There is more for me to read and people to talk to. I'll let you know what I dig up.

Yup, all the Western armies are going the route of the small, light and mobile unit... mostly assembled in Brigades.
The US Army's hope lies in the Stryker brigades being assembled. The USMC has always had a flexible deployment scheme so not much changing around there.

A start:

Squads of ten. Everyone individually specialized on an aspect of infantry warfare. Currently only few new units, composed of selected individuals out of the whole German infantry. I believe they want to build up new SF. Special training in Hammelburg. It’s either confidential or just not publicly known what methods are used. A friend of mine has personal contacts though and will inform me soon.

The gear is modular and currently available in its basic form. All components are under constant development.

The units are coordinated by the FAUST (“fist”) system by a commander on the ground, who is linked with headquaters. He has a constantly updated (information and orders) digital map at his disposal, with enemy movement, topography, GPS coordinated positioning, etc... Individual data of his unit is monitored by headquaters (sensory equipment is supposed to be integrated in the combat armour).

Some pics to that:

faust.jpg

faust2.jpg

There's a small movie, hope it works this way:

http://www.geocities.com/bratwurst1978/faust_03.mpeg

I'll tell you more about the training and the gear as soon as I have the time to translate.

Bratwurst said:
A friend of mine has personal contacts though and will inform me soon.

Just a reminder, do not post anything here that violates either OPSEC or PERSEC.

Just one more piece of Info that if you give the Germans a little leway they go out and Build something bigger and better....looks cool though.

Another thought occurred to me. If there's gonna be 40000 of these troops proposed how will they ensure that training standards are kept to the highest level? I presume we're not talking GS-G9 or SAS levels of training but more in the order of say Royal Marine Commando or Green Beret training standards?

Royal Marines Commandos and Green Berets are a very high standard as well. Also the Green Berets are among the top of the line Special Forces so no point in downplaying them. Plus they've proven themselves in combat time and again.

the_13th_redneck said:
Royal Marines Commandos and Green Berets are a very high standard as well. Also the Green Berets are among the top of the line Special Forces so no point in downplaying them. Plus they've proven themselves in combat time and again.

Not meaning to downplay them at all. I know they are of a very high standard. I also know that if they will be the German equivalent which looks the case they will likely be of a very high standard themselves.

Frankly I don't know what the training standard will be for the planned 40k yet. My contact is in Hammelburg this minute and will tell me about it around Christmas.

The Troops that are in Afghanistan right now are KSK. They are the military equivalent to the GSG9. In addition to their extensive (basic) training they would have received additional training for the new gear and should rank highly among the deadliest troops in the world, I bet... :shock:

This here is a quick (English) overview of the KSK:

http://www.specialoperations.com/Foreign/Germany/KSK.html

Since the KSK was brought into existence for international crisis intervention, I speculate that at least parts of their training methods will be applied on the rest of the 40k troops, making them formidable opponents as well.

The German army is transforming right now. It will keep up conscription for country defense and the 40k body with necessary goodies, i.e. an improved Leo 2 with improved firepower, or this, something particularly interesting: SAR-Lupe/SATCOM Radar-/Communication system that is designed to complement the French HELIOS II.

Seems like they're closing the tech gap in comm/sat-equipment. Knowing the German engineers it's going to be good stuff.

All in all, to come back to your question Doppelganger, the German military isn't doing bad. The tech meets highest standards. The large body of the conscription army may be substandard (lack of funding), but their new intervention army is going to be one thing and one thing only: kick-ass! :rambo:

This is a list (German) of the newer (non-convidential) projects:

http://www.bundeswehr.de/forces/040818_glossar_teil1.php#13

And just because I like them so much, here a few pics of KSK snipers with the G22 (a modified British developement). I believe every squad has one.

g22_5.jpg

g22.jpg

g22_3.jpg

g22_2.jpg

Back