Some days I wonder about Norway...

MontyB

All-Blacks Supporter
Norway plans 12-hour TV show of knitting
BALAZS KORANYI Last updated 16:07 02/11/2013

Hoping to take "slow TV" to a new level, Norway's public broadcaster will air 12 hours of knitting, complete with sheep shearing, needle tips, how to knit a cover for a Harley Davidson motorbike and a world record attempt. "We'll dive deep into the world of knitting, then from midnight, we'll turn down the pace, if that's even possible," said Rune Moeklebust, a producer for public television NRK.
"We'll watch the arm of a sweater get longer and longer; it will be fascinating ... but pretty strange TV."
NRK is a veteran in quirky programming. In 2011, it broadcast 134 hours non-stop of a cruise ship going up the Norwegian coast to the Arctic, bagging the world record for the longest continuous TV programme. Millions tuned in.
In February, it aired a 12-hour show on firewood, featuring discussions about stacking and chopping, and a debate on whether the bark should face up or down. One in five Norwegians watched the show at one point.
"You can argue that the national knitting night is the feminine response to the firewood show," said Sidsel Mundal, a spokeswoman for NRK.
In the first part of the show, various guests will share tips on anything related to knitting and producers will also bring in one of NRK's foreign correspondents, who takes his knitting on road trips and sometimes teaches locals.
Then from midnight, a team of eight will attempt to break the world record for shearing a sheep and making a sweater from its wool.
The current record for the "back to back challenge" - from the back of a sheep to the back of a person - stands at four hours and 51 minutes, held by the Merriwa Jumbucks from New South Wales in Australia's outback.
"The sheep is now resting and grazing on an island near Bergen, getting ready for the challenge," Mundal said.
Slow TV has been so popular, the channel will broadcast globally for the first time, making the show available at www.nrk.no/knitting with English commentary. It is also inviting fans to share their work on its Facebook and Instagram sites.
The next slow TV broadcast is on the drawing board but Moeklebust has ideas.
"I'm fascinated by doing the clock minute by minute. There must be a way of doing that," he said. "Or we might do something from the air, like a travel across Norway, with the ship."
- Reuters

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv/9355604/Norway-plans-12-hour-TV-show-of-knitting

It would appear that Norwegian TV is as bad as ours.

We occasionally have Sheep Dog competitions, Lawn Bowls and Shearing competitions.

12 hours worth?
Don't get me wrong I can understand a 30 minute show on some inane topic but 12 hours is a bit excessive in my opinion.

Yeah,... I guess we never have these shows for more than a few hours, and then only on a Sunday afternoon to fill in time.

Damn.

12 hours process of knitting and such. I might even be able to get the hang of it...

Probably not though.

Seems like American TV has to have a commercial interruption every 3 minutes. I guess they figure that we have the attention span of a hyperactive 2 year old. Wish someone would take Flo from Progressive Insurance, The pig and the insurance duck and shut em up. Every 3 minutes one of them is on.

This made me laughing. This is EXACTLY what the world needs. Everything has such a pace nowadays and not in the good kind of way, meaning we have no opposite. No slow pace, no rest. I think there is "more than meets the eye", no pun intended, with everything becoming an mtv music videoesque thing where they cut every 2 seconds. I mean don't get me wrong, 12 hours seems to be stretching it by far, but still. Slow TV could definitely do us some good.

Yes but 12 hours of knitting?
If I wanted slow paced TV 12 hours in the day of a 3 toed Sloth would be preferable to knitting.

Back