Somali military at its height in the 70s & 80s

Yes the Somali army of the 60-80s specially in the 70s and 80s was a capable and professional army. All the officers had training in Soviet Union, Britain, Italy, West Germany in some cases, US and china. They had diverse knowledge to bring to our army and that knowledge ended up paying of when we went to war against Ethiopia in 1977 and USSR, Cuba, East Germany and South Yemen joined the fight on the Ethiopian side.

Well that can't be very good at all.
Thought Somalia managed to be on good terms with the USSR.
I guess Ethiopia was a better friend than Somalia was.

Well that can't be very good at all.
Thought Somalia managed to be on good terms with the USSR.
I guess Ethiopia was a better friend than Somalia was.

That wasn't it, it was because USSR was trying to maintain friendship with both Ethiopia and Somalia, and even one time suggested that they join together in a federation. When Somalia and Ethiopia went to war, Somalia gave USSR a choice either join our side and stop arming Ethiopia also or we are tearing up the treaty of friendship and cooperation. USSR Chose Ethiopia and we tore up the treaty and booted the Soviets from Somalia.

The USSR Choose Ethiopia at the time because Eritrea was still incorporated into Ethiopia so Ethiopia had a sea acess unlike now and the Soviets had a closer watch on the Sueze canal if they had bases in Ethiopia, also Ethiopia was a larger country with a pop of 50 mil, where as Somalia had a pop of barely 5 mil. So they figured it was more strategic for them to be allied with Ethiopia. That is when the Americans left Ethiopia and became allied with Somalia and were granted naval bases in Berbera which was at the mouth of the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean.

Which troops in the parade c/Commander? The first ones in the Khaki uniforms or the Commandos that come after them wearing the fatigues?

I just googled a pic of the pphs smg and it didn't look like the same gun, but I could be wrong also

Last edited:
Don't know its not clear to me, when i checked a photo on google of the psh it didnt look similar to what the Somalis were carrying but I could be wrong.

Well, at least they all march in the same way, funny or not. Ever seen an IDF unit march? Every Jew is sure he knows how to do it best :)

Sherman, I have always meant to ask someone but haven't, if you look at the 3rd video of the Somali armor and trucks why do all Eastern European, Chinese, Russian, and anyone trained by them all have their military parade vehicles painted white around the tires? I have always asked myself this question.

_40151730_flag203.jpg

"There is no safety in unlimited technological hubris" (McGeorge Bundy)

Last edited:
Honestly i dont know. IDF used to do that to. Some units still do. By the way much of that gear is western. The tanks are either very late production M47 or early production M48A1.

By the way the trash talk and clan hatred in the comments is almost as intresting as the video.

Last edited:
Yeah I noticed that too. It's really an eye opener. Something most of us don't get to see anywhere else.
As for the white lines in the tires, dunno. They don't do that over here anymore.

Back