Somali Air Force 1954-1958 Rare Pictures !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm what do you mean the Muslims do it all time Im Muslim im i discussing how to kill others? NO so please dont be a racist stop watching this propaganda that all Muslims are killers and bombers Its NOT because the ARABS are nothing that does not Mean that all Muslims are nothing Muslims come in all Nationalities and Ethnic group its group of 1.5 Billion people.

We are far away from the topic why talk about Yugoslav war its war created for NATO to see how effective they could work together in an event of a war. They failed miserably that it nearlly disolved after this war Like Warsaw pact someday it will disolve.

Somalia existed before 1991 so its not long time ago the 80s were good times we had strong economy now all is destroyed by OURSELVES
Im not a big fan of American Foreign policy but it does not mean i hate Americans. If America gets critized you should not become angry its part of the discussion.

Zastava-Arms well said its just i think you dont realize we have not been like this all the time we are just in this tribal war since 1991. Not Ethnic there is not different people living in Somalia we all have one religion and culture.

Wow this topic is very popular hehehe THANKS GUYS :twisted::pirate2:

Or maybe you just dont take anybody saying America isnt as good as youd like it to be kindly.

Or maybe he was there and you weren't. Does "been there, done that" mean anything to you? You are, after all, a civilian.

we were there too...
so maybe it is only this particular Australian who has difficulty grasping history...

Haha don't worry, I know it's just him. I mean come on, he thinks he's Russian.

Genocidal bombing?

Seriously..

The bombing of Yugoslavia was:

- Unprovoked
- Uncalled
- Unnecessary

And instead of bombing military targets [You guys did anyways] you also bombed civillian areas purposely. A lot of people who didnt have to die died.

Hmmm what do you mean the Muslims do it all time Im Muslim im i discussing how to kill others? NO so please dont be a racist stop watching this propaganda that all Muslims are killers and bombers Its NOT because the ARABS are nothing that does not Mean that all Muslims are nothing Muslims come in all Nationalities and Ethnic group its group of 1.5 Billion people.

I think he was talking about certain terrorist organisations [Like Al Quaeda and the Chechen rebels], not the entire Islamic population. I know a lot of Muslim people and they are very nice people; I think that its a general rule of islam to always make the guests of your house welcome?

Haha don't worry, I know it's just him. I mean come on, he thinks he's Russian

Why would I pretend to be Russian? I dont even speak Russian. Im a Australian with Yugoslav decent.

hmmmm...
isn't this supposed to be about he Somali airforce?

yes Muslims kill people all the time they have murderers just like any other group of people...

but for the terrorists they aren't even Muslims they are heretics...
they are either political groups masked as religious groups or vice versa for the sake of convenience ...

haha unprovoked?
there was provocation...
unnecessary?
that is debatable but what were we supposed to do spit on you guys? or try some good for nothing nasty UN letters??or just watch you rip each other to pieces whilst killing a hell of a lot more innocents in the process?
uncalled for?
well i cant imagine any one inviting some one to bomb there house...
like seriously... ring ring... excuse me NATO... can you please come and bomb me im a genocidal maniac...

sure ill be there right away...

i will accept that it was occasionally misdirected and off target but that is what a war is like, chaotic and imperfect we had to do something, or are you advocating that we should of let the balkans be...

Yes, the UCK started killing Serbs in Kosovo, burnt down Christian churches and also tortured Serbs. America should have bombed Albania, not Serbia. The Serbian military and people reacted in self defense, and this is where a lot of the anti-Albanian racism comes from.

I do not say that Serbia didnt kill any innocents at all, im just saying UCK provoked it.

Ever heard of a thing called sitting down and negotiating? Blasting the living crap out of urban areas doesnt lower the violence.

It was uncalled for, Albania/Kosovo was not a part of NATO, and Albania/Kosovo wasnt under Communist agression and vice versa. NATO shouldnt have done anything, best they should have done was send some guys out there with some UN guys [Doubt that would happen...Too busy writing angry letters] to keep the tension low.

captiva303 well said thats all i can say. What happend in former Yugoslavia at least brought some peace and at end it lasted only for few years. Now yesterday the train between sarajevo to belgrade rides again so things are starting to go back to normal. I hoped that i can say the same about Somalia.

Zastava-Arms you make your guests feel welcome and you respect them regardless of any religion in Islam.

thank you Somali ace...do you see a future for Somalia or at least an opotunity for a future to be created in Somalia?
and why is it there is a group of Somalis in Melbourne australia trying to make a government in exile or just a government for puntland?

are these guys legitimate?

or just a bunch of wishful thinkers?

captiva303 the problem in Somalia is that we all like to be leaders but we do not nessacarily have the right qualities and right level of education or the right political view that Somalia could benefit from. Some of the leaders and ministers are all un-educated most of them had nothing else than Arabic language courses so they full of crap. The most real Somali diplomats are living in Exile they cant help their country since they would be assisinated.

These individuals are fake the only legitimate Somali goverment was anything before 1991. The national goverment collapsed in 1991 due to clan warfare. President of Somalia Said Barre had power from 1969-1991 he destroyed clan system and instead said to Somalis to rely on the government. He build factories, roads, airports. He also took part of literature making Somalis learn how to read and write. So he did alot most Somalis would say that his expertise on Somalia is needed. Unfortunatly he is not around anymore. He died in 1995 due to heartattack.

Since 1991 the only goverment that Somalis have benefited from is the one currently in position that of Sheikh Sharif. He is the only person in Somalis Civil war that has achieved some kind of Peace in Mogadishu and whole Somalia for short six months. Not a single bullet was fired or anyone killed. You could have walked with thousands of dollars at middle of night.

Not single individual group or organization could called themselves in-exile goverment since the international group does not recognize them. The only recognized goverment is in Mogadishu. These individuals are Australian citizens born in Somalia. Their voices or opinions are not important since they are not citizens in Somalia. The ones inside are more important.

Do i see a Future ? im positive human being i would like that everyone reaches its aspiration regardless of race, religion it does not matter as long you respect others. Some say Muslims are evil bla bla bla people need to understand that generally we all are the same we all born we all get hungry we all have emotions. Nobody can say im different only physically or mentally but as humans we are the same.

The problem is we have alot child soldiers who did not have earned respect or given to anyone. They never been to school so academically they are 0%. What benefits could that child give other than giving confessions to his crimes. To be able to enter a new phase you need the new generations to have education and to learn that violence is not the key.

I can hardly say that there is a positive future ahead for Somalia since i know how things go in Somalia. I personally thought that the war would last only for 5 years or something. The situation in Somalia could be reversed if inside militias and groups are taken care of. Two years ago nobody knew that there is something new coming up in Somalia now militias hide behind Islam saying they are fighting for Islam they are killing other human beings thats not cool. So tommorow might be that the war takes another unexpected turn. We have cavemans with ties and cavemans with AK47s both same brain different look that is Somalia and anyone different gets killed

Actually, Muslim is not a race. Religion, not race. I know a few Arabs and I know a few Muslims. So just because I disagree with you does not give you the right to call me or refer to me as a racist.

Somalia existed before 1991 so its not long time ago the 80s were good times we had strong economy now all is destroyed by OURSELVES
Im not a big fan of American Foreign policy but it does not mean i hate Americans. If America gets critized you should not become angry its part of the discussion.
And, IIRC, back then weren't you guys a British Protectorate? I forget.

It amazes me how many countries wanted to be released from US/UK/French/Dutch control, but then after everyone leaves so the natives can run things themselves, what happens? They run it in the ground and blame everyone else.

Yes, when somebody gets something wrong about some crackpot operation that went down in some crackpot country you can tell they dont have the slightest ****ing clue about anything.

Here let me break it down for you so you stop acting like an idiot and actually have some back ground.

RESTORE HOPE I - Was a UN humanatarian mission to distribute food and medical aide along with other humanitarian aid to Somalis. This mission had no military support and resulted in aid points being taken over by clans and the supplies diverted stolen sold etc. It also made aid workers targets of violence and kidnapping...In Somalia who'd have thunk it. The UN decided that they needed a peace keeping force to protect them or abandon the mission.Enter.......

RESTORE HOPE II -A multinational military force to include 2nd Bn 9th Marines and US A rmy units entered the country along with military elements of other countries to protect the aid work.

A UNITED NATIONS MISSION......just so you know DB.

After the port and other areas were controlled aidid attempted to strongarm the UN which led to weapons sweeps and hieghtened patrols around distribution points. Which led to Adid in effect declaring war on the UN......WHICH LEAD TO.......

Operation GOTHIC SERPENT. A US led op involving SOF units to capture and dismantle Adids command structure......UNDER A UN RESOLUTION.

NOW GO READ A FREAKIN BOOK INSTEAD OF TALKIN OUT YOUR 4TH POC.

Last edited:
This is what i would buy looking at the regional powers around Somalia have than this is the first step of re-building of Somali Air Force. The problem we had was we had failing old soviet aircrafts and im afraid that we cant have them again since they are too old and if Somalia would not have this civil war i think they were going to be retired in 1992. Due to Civil war Somalis Air Force is inactive

Fighter
F-15C/E x 90
OR
F-16E/F x 120

Training
Embraer EMB 314 Super Tucano x 20
Aermacchi MB-339 x 20

Transport/Maritime Patrol
Boeing 747-8 Freighter x 4
C-130 x 20
CN-235MPA x 20 (Maritime Patrol)

Helicopter/Attack Helicopter
UH-1 Irequios x 60
UH-60 Sikorsky x 10
Apache AH-64 x 12

Aerial refueling
KC-130 x 4
KC-135 x 2

VIP
Boeing 747-400 x 1

Nice wish list. At best someone might sell Somalia a couple texans and a Kingbee might....without incurring the wrath of the civilized world.

EMB 314 super tucano is better and cheaper than texan II 6 its made in Brazil and most countries have all ready ordered.

Good luck with that. Doubt even Brazil would sell to Somalia.....however there are Piper cubs going cheap all over the world.

that lay out may well be a appropriate for Somalia, but only after an effective nation state has been established but as for now that will only remain a wish list...

although some of the equipment would be to expensive and may not meet the needs required by a future Somalia.

i would recommend some more realistic equipment like more cost effective ex-soviet stuff...

i reccomend these because they would provide capabilities that do not exist currently and because you would more likely to be able to afford them and more likely be able to by them because western sellers would still be suspicious of Somali buyers even after a government had been set up

Stuff fighter planes, Somalia should focus more on multi-purpose helicopters which can be used for both civilian and military roles.

Mi-8 anybody?

Cost analysis, I see some of the layouts of the Somali Air Force presented here show a mix of Western and Eastern aircraft. Lets not forget some western countries do not use the Metric System. So having some gear with metric, and some with standard presents a broad array of issues, and also buying the training needed by the country you purchase the gear from, and the exchange rates of the different currencies you will need to use, If I was in charge of buying and Air Force from the ground up, on the question of hardware I would purchase all my gear from the same country, so it would be simplified on the question of how extended my country's allocated resources are across the board.

Last edited:
Sukio along with Captiva303 and Zastava Arms thanks for your great replies

USMC i have clearly stated that i do not mean that these hardware are going to come to Somalia with the current situation in SOmalia. Therefore i mean if things settle in Somalia.Which i doubt it will unless Somalis want change.Anyways thanks for your reply anyways.

Captiva303 we have had an air force with 500 Aircrafts why would the western sellers be suspicious? We had diverse air force with at beginning we had Italian/American/English aircrafts later on The Somali Goverment had signed an Friendship deal with USSR after signing the deal Russians shipped over hunderds of hardware and trained and helped the Somali Air Force after while we had good relationship with China they shipped some copies of MIG 19. So we have had all the aircrafts at the right moment they were at the time new super modern aircrafts we had alot hardware that other African nations didnt have. I think personally we should have the latest aircrafts at all costs. Ex-soviet stuff is going to Somali Aviation Museum like it did before we had MIL4/8s in Museums.
The UH-1 Irequios we had them in large quantities they are the only hardware we used to have in the whole wish list. Somalia was once nearlly going to re-produce the UH-1s but due to civil war it never became reality.

Since the F-15 is supreme air fighter i think Somalia should have to balance the power in East Africa since Ethiopia has SU-27s and Eritria also has Su-27s either we should go Russian or American. If we are going to be Russian i think SU-30 is great but personally i would go for F-15 or F-16 since Russian hardware is not reliable. What i mean is that the level of training and spare parts you got in the days of Soviet union is over. Malaysia bought few had trouble with Russian aircrafts due to spareparts and training they turned to China for spareparts it happend to us in 1970s.
The only problem purchasing F-15s is that you wont get them easily like the SU-27-30s. Japan, Isreal, Saudi Arabia have them they are US Allies. I think personally that the Americans are not going to sell their most supreme fighter unless they found replacement and i think they are the F-22 is going to replace the F-15. But the F-15 is going to be active in limited numbers they cant solemly rely on the F-22.who knows SOmalia may have oppertunity to buy in future or may not. Until that time F-16 might be alternative they are produced by US, Turkey, South Korea, The Netherlands and many more countries. So i think F-16 is realistic choice we could buy license and produce it ourselves.
The problem with Fighter aircraft is that you have to be either American or Russian most other countries have not developed their fighters to the standard of the Russians or Americans. So you cant choose diversly really

Who wins F-15 vs Su27
Who wins F-16 vs Su27
Who Wins F-16 vs MiG29 we all know the F-16 like in Yugoslav war

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back