Solution to sea borne and land borne pirates (criminals) - Page 2

--
Boots

January 18th, 2009  
c/Commander

Our new LCS would be perfect for this anti-piracy mission. Pity we've only got one...
January 18th, 2009  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
And to BritinAfrica, consider that the original purpose of a military naval vessel, before fighting other nations, was to fight piracy. Therefore the expense in using the navy to fight pirates shouldn't be a factor, as its the NAVYS original mandate.

It shouldn't be a factor, but the area's required to be patrolled are so vast and I really don't see any government tying up numerous naval vessels for long periods of time on anti piracy patrols.

Personally I don't see any problem with stationing military personnel on commercial ships to man 50 cal Brownings who are paid for by the owners of the vessels. The cost of those personnel would be negated by lower insurance premiums.
January 19th, 2009  
wolfen

Heres a novel idea, since I seem to be the mil-forums warmonger I can say this.
You want to get rid of the pirate problem? simple, kill the pirates. Use the navy of your country for what it is intended for.
--
Boots
January 19th, 2009  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen
You want to get rid of the pirate problem? simple, kill the pirates. Use the navy of your country for what it is intended for.
Easier said than done. You have to find them first. The Ocean is a rather big place and once the hijack a ship you are just as likely to kill civilians.
January 19th, 2009  
HokieMSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen
Wolfen, I'm going to 1 up you here as the warmonger. Lets use our fleet of B52's in a role similar to the linebacker campaign during Vietnam. Carpet bomb any costal facility that might be used to harbor pirates. Once a ship is taken we should be able to track where it is. Then bomb the snot out of that location, once we have retaken the ship and rescued the crew. Sooner or later they are going to figure out that it doesn't make sense to keep doing it.
January 19th, 2009  
wolfen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
Easier said than done. You have to find them first. The Ocean is a rather big place and once the hijack a ship you are just as likely to kill civilians.
Well since we know teh basic area they operate in, that should narrow it down by a few of the seven seas
January 19th, 2009  
wolfen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieMSG
Wolfen, I'm going to 1 up you here as the warmonger. Lets use our fleet of B52's in a role similar to the linebacker campaign during Vietnam. Carpet bomb any costal facility that might be used to harbor pirates. Once a ship is taken we should be able to track where it is. Then bomb the snot out of that location, once we have retaken the ship and rescued the crew. Sooner or later they are going to figure out that it doesn't make sense to keep doing it.
I was being nice and humane when I said use Navy's, Personally if they used a MOAB, I wouldn't shed any tears, but my lack of caring about the enemy is one reason they don't let me play anymore.