Soldier's Widow Asks Bush For Full Report

So, rather than simply stating that we civilians are not allowed to view certain information you'd rather give us a straight-faced lie?

That is contrary to a lot of the things this country stands for.

No one has to be lied to at all, the safest course of action is to hand over a report with the more sensitive information removed rather than blacked out, it can still have all the information relevant to the incident without going into excessive detail.

So, rather than simply stating that we civilians are not allowed to view certain information you'd rather give us a straight-faced lie?

That is contrary to a lot of the things this country stands for.
No it isnt. You seem to be laboring under the assumption that all those myths they are teaching you in high school are in deed facts... NOT. That feeling you have right now, that's called a "crisis of unrealised expectations"... it'll happen more and more frequently as you get older.

No it isnt. You seem to be laboring under the assumption that all those myths they are teaching you in high school are in deed facts... NOT. That feeling you have right now, that's called a "crisis of unrealised expectations"... it'll happen more and more frequently as you get older.

Seriously because if everyone knew what was actually going on there would be mass hysteria, riots, and panic in the streets....

Oh, I know the government is corrupt and full of lying scumbags. I just don't see why you'd want to help conceal this blatant fact by not even admitting that the military censors sensitive documents (don't get me wrong, I do believe in keeping the dangerous info secret).

Has anyone stopped to consider that if they released that particular record to her with the blacked out lines that it might be considered "the real deal" by friends and family?

Let me explain, if some of you were handed a "sanitized" report you would still question the validity of the document. Handing you a blacked version would at least let you know you got the real deal that everyone else got and no one is trying to double talk you.

We do not know what was contained in those blacked out lines. It may have been names and locations. It may have been information on others involved in said incident. It may be to protect another person's privacy.

just consider this: Would you rather the real deal comes to you with a few blacked out lines that you could get an idea of what was blacked out or get a totally different version from the official report?

One other thing, with the totally different version now the powers that be have opened themselves up to allegations of a cover up. Because if one or two points are called into doubt then the entire document is called into doubt right?

Just some points to ponder.

Let me explain, if some of you were handed a "sanitized" report you would still question the validity of the document. Handing you a blacked version would at least let you know you got the real deal that everyone else got and no one is trying to double talk you.

Please forgive my lack of atriculation, this is the point I was trying to make from the start with my posts. :thumb:

We have a winner

Has anyone stopped to consider that if they released that particular record to her with the blacked out lines that it might be considered "the real deal" by friends and family?

We do not know what was contained in those blacked out lines. It may have been names and locations. It may have been information on others involved in said incident. It may be to protect another person's privacy.

just consider this: Would you rather the real deal comes to you with a few blacked out lines that you could get an idea of what was blacked out or get a totally different version from the official report?

One other thing, with the totally different version now the powers that be have opened themselves up to allegations of a cover up. Because if one or two points are called into doubt then the entire document is called into doubt right?

Just some points to ponder.

BINGO!!!

If they don't get this then there is no point trying to explain it any further.

I think people are looking at the term "sanitised" and concluding whitewashed or misleading perhaps "lay mans" or "simplified" report would be a better term.

The first thing I was taught in report writing 101 was to write the report for the audience I was presenting it to which in many cases ended up as requiring two reports, one for my boss which had every conceivable fact, test and point of interest along with summaries, conclusions etc. and another that said exactly same thing for general release that was identical as far as summaries and conclusions but with the technical detail watered down.

Writing a watered down report does not mean you have to lie or mislead anyone but I can guarantee that if I handed out a technical report to the general public with all the technical data blacked out the first thing they would ask is "why is this blacked out, what are you hiding?" which is exactly what has happened here.

Last edited:
But again you open yourself up to people crying foul and saying you are trying to cover something up. Meh, guess it is a matter of degree.

Back