Soldiers flee to Canada to avoid Iraq duty

sandy

Soldiers flee to Canada to avoid Iraq duty

Duncan Campbell
Tuesday March 28, 2006
The Guardian

Hundreds of deserters from the US armed forces have crossed into Canada and are now seeking political refugee status there, arguing that violations of the rules of war in Iraq by the US entitle them to asylum.
A decision on a test case involving two US servicemen is due shortly and is being watched with interest by fellow servicemen on both sides of the border. At least 20 others have already applied for asylum and there are an estimated 400 in Canada out of more than 9,000 who have deserted since the conflict started in 2003.

Ryan Johnson, 22, from near Fresno in California, was due to be deployed with his unit to Iraq in January last year but crossed the Canadian border in June and is seeking asylum. "I had spoken to many soldiers who had been in Iraq and who told me about innocent civilians being killed and about bombing civilian neighbourhoods," he told the Guardian.
"It's been really great since I've been here. Generally, people have been really hospitable and understanding, although there have been a few who have been for the war." He is now unable to return to the US. "I don't have a problem with that. I'm in Canada and that's that."

Mr Johnson said it was unclear exactly how many US soldiers were in Canada but he thought 400 was a "realistic figure". He had been on speaking tours across the country as part of a war resisters' movement and had come across other servicemen living underground.

Jeffry House, a Toronto lawyer who represents many of the men, said that an increasing number were seeking asylum. "There are a fair number without status and a fair number on student visas," he said, and under UN guidelines on refugee status they were entitled to seek asylum.

The first test cases involve Jeremy Hinzman, 26, who deserted from the 82 Airborne Division and Brandon Hughey from the 1st Cavalry Division. A decision on their applications is due within the next few weeks. If they are turned down the case will be taken to the federal appeal court and the Canadian supreme court, according to Mr House, a process that would last into next year at least.

All deserters, past and present, are placed on an FBI wanted list. Earlier this month, Allen Abney, 56, who deserted from the US marines 38 years ago during the Vietnam war, was arrested as he crossed into the US, a journey he had taken many times before without problem. He was held in a military jail in California for a few days, then discharged.

"They have resuscitated long-dormant warrants," said Mr House. "I know 15 people personally who have crossed 10 or more times without problems and then all of a sudden they are arresting people. It seems like it would be connected to Iraq."

Lee Zaslofsky, 61, the coordinator of the War Resisters' Support Campaign in Toronto, said that he was impressed by the young men who were seeking asylum. "Some have been to Iraq and others have heard what goes on there," he said. "Mainly, what they discuss is being asked to do things they consider repugnant. Most are quite patriotic ... Many say they feel tricked by the military."

During the Vietnam war between 50,000 and 60,000 Americans crossed the border to avoid serving.
E-Card-escape-plan.gif

http://www.network54.com/Forum/211833/thread/1143597335/last-1143613275/Hundreds+of+US+deserters+flee+to+Canada

Last edited:
It is an all volunteer Army, when you sign up, you forfeit the right to pick and choose when and where you will obey orders.

If Canada protects these people the US should cut them off from all the assistance we provide non-gratis for the defence of Canada.

No offence intended to the members of the forum from Canada.

Actually, the rate of desertion is far lower than during the previous administration (i.e. "peacetime"). This article was recently published in USA Today (exerpt below):

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-03-07-deserters_x.htm

Desertion numbers have dropped since 9/11. The Army, Navy and Air Force reported 7,978 desertions in 2001, compared with 3,456 in 2005. The Marine Corps showed 1,603 Marines in desertion status in 2001. That had declined by 148 in 2005.

The desertion rate was much higher during the Vietnam era. The Army saw a high of 33,094 deserters in 1971 — 3.4% of the Army force. But there was a draft and the active-duty force was 2.7 million.

Desertions in 2005 represent 0.24% of the 1.4 million U.S. forces.

Opposition to the war prompts a small fraction of desertions, says Army spokeswoman Maj. Elizabeth Robbins. "People always desert, and most do it because they don't adapt well to the military," she says. The vast majority of desertions happen inside the USA, Robbins says. There is only one known case of desertion in Iraq.

Most deserters return within months, without coercion. Commander Randy Lescault, spokesman for the Naval Personnel Command, says that between 2001 and 2005, 58% of Navy deserters walked back in. Of the rest, the most are apprehended during traffic stops. Penalties range from other-than-honorable discharges to death for desertion during wartime. Few are court-martialed.

Here's a chart they present:

http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2006/03/06/desertionsdrop.jpg

Hundreds of deserters from the US armed forces have crossed into Canada and are now seeking political refugee status there, arguing that violations of the rules of war in Iraq by the US entitle them to asylum.

And how would they know, even if that was true? Ah well, cry babies will be cry babies and cowards wil be cowards. Let Canada have 'em!

They are lower than the lowest of the low. Cowardly mongrels that they are. I agree with bulldogg in part. I would futher stipulate that we should institute some form of agreement with Canada that they send our criminals back to us.

They do not have to desert from the US to avoid duty overseas. There are procedures in place in the military for people that refuse to obey lawful orders. It is called a Courts Martial and most often times will result in a Dishonorable Discharge and leave your name off the Federal Wanted List.

The Cooler King said:
In the United States Military, desertion is punishable by death. I believe a little justice is in order.

I had originally included that in my post but I did not want to detract from the posters topic by getting into a human rights discussion.

Well, I agree with you, King. Please don't discussion the human rights with me. Got it? Do what the Bulldogg said. ^^^

They are cowards... They should have thought of going to war when they signed up to join the armed forces.

I guess they just wanted the military to fund their education and they wanted to take advantage of the service but well, they didnt know about the hard part of the service :-D

That is hilarious, if you dont want to go to Iraq just discharge.

RAInf said:
That is hilarious, if you dont want to go to Iraq just discharge.

Like MarineRhodes said, it isn't that easy. In the US military, you sign a contract, you are bound by that contract to serve until you have completed your term of enlistment. In other words, once you sign the papers, you can't just quit becomes things aren't going as you like.

For the military to simply discharge them would result in a huge loss of money. The Fed govn't spends a lot of money on these guys from processing to training. It also sends out a weak message if you're allowed to quit at any time with no recourse.

Missileer said:
30 lashes with the cat-o-nine tails and a wash down with salt water.

Still won't make me happy. I say lock em up in Leavenworth or other military prison for the remainder of their contract. Then BCD them and let them find their own way home.

Well, I believe that they should be tried by Court-Martial and if found guilty of their crimes. Sentenced with the appropriate punishment. And than get a swift kick in the ass from every service member that served their country.

5.56X45mm said:
Well, I believe that they should be tried by Court-Martial and if found guilty of their crimes. Sentenced with the appropriate punishment. And than get a swift kick in the ass from every service member that served their country.

I could go for the caning that I heard about a number of years ago. Can't remember where I heard about it tho.

PJ24 said:
Like MarineRhodes said, it isn't that easy. In the US military, you sign a contract, you are bound by that contract to serve until you have completed your term of enlistment. In other words, once you sign the papers, you can't just quit becomes things aren't going as you like.

For the military to simply discharge them would result in a huge loss of money. The Fed govn't spends a lot of money on these guys from processing to training. It also sends out a weak message if you're allowed to quit at any time with no recourse.

Then why are these jube ****s joining the Army if they are not prepared to go on operations?

RAInf said:
Then why are these jube ****s joining the Army if they are not prepared to go on operations?

Many of them don't think things all the way through I guess. They go in thinking it is a free ride to college and don't think of anything else they may have to do along the way.

They are raised to think, by their parents and/or society, that they are entitled to get something for nothing.

Back