Soldiers flee to Canada to avoid Iraq duty

ajpigger said:
G'day all.
No disrespect to anyone and I admire the pride and protection everyone has for their country, but I just want to know for all those who say 'cowards , traitors etc.' who has been to Iraq??Importantly I am not supporting the deserters just as someone who has been there I wouldn't mind knowing thats all.
cheers

Been to Iraq? Only a few times. :D

I just know what it's like to rely on people who don't want to be where they are and it's not a good feeling.

I haven't had to feel that in a long time, thankfully. My job weeds those that don't want to be there out very quickly, usually the first or second day of indoc. The men I work with outside of my job are also all highly motivated and committed to their jobs. There's nothing like knowing the guy beside you wants and has worked to be there just as much as you.

Exactly what I was on about PJ I look beside me and see highly trained , high driven men who are at the top of there game. But we are the fortunate ones I wouldn't want to be Private Jones on patrol and looking beside me wondering whether the man next to him has got his back. Perhaps this is more of a retention issue but to me I realy feel for the men whose lives may lie in the hands of a bloke who is working out a way to get home.

ajpigger said:
Exactly what I was on about PJ I look beside me and see highly trained , high driven men who are at the top of there game. But we are the fortunate ones I wouldn't want to be Private Jones on patrol and looking beside me wondering whether the man next to him has got his back. Perhaps this is more of a retention issue but to me I realy feel for the men whose lives may lie in the hands of a bloke who is working out a way to get home.
ajp
I wouldn't want to see one of these people beside me when the bullets were flying either.

On the other hand, I remember a certain very very famous boxer during the Vietnam War who refused to answer the draft when his name was pulled out of the hat. He stood his ground and accepted the consequences of his decision. A young 'Cassius Clay' Mohammad Ali opted to serve a prison sentence instead of violating his principles ... I had only the greatest of respect for him (and still do) ... he didn't run ... he didn't show a yellow stripe ... it wasn't because of cowardice or because he was a traitor that he wouldn't comply with his draft notice ... it was a matter of principle.

Every single one of these cowards and traitors made a conscious decision to turn their backs on this country after having sworn to carry out the orders of those appointed over them. IF they had a real heartburn with these orders (for whatever reason), they could have followed the example that Ali set ... they could have refused to carry out the orders and stayed to face the consequences of their actions. Granted, it would have meant a courts martial and more than likely a prison sentence with a Bad Conduct Discharge waiting for them after they served their sentence.

SO WHAT?????

AT LEAST THEY WOULDN'T NOW BE VIEWED BY THEIR FELLOW WARRIORS AS COWARDS AND TRAITORS TO THEIR OWN COUNTRY.

I have yet to serve in Iraq. I have volunteered but my (para) ". . . skills and aptitude are needed in the rear to get the gear to the front more than they are needed at the front". So I was shot down the two times I volunteered to go and quit volunteering.

This does not make one whit of difference though. It is my opinion and the opinion of any number of people who have never served in the military at all, let alone been deployed. These people are cowards of the worst sort. They violated their sworn word, their promise, their oath, whatever you wish to call it. These people swore to defend the US against all enemies foreign and domestic. . . makes you kind of wonder huh?

Marinerhodes said:
These people are cowards of the worst sort. They violated their sworn word, their promise, their oath, whatever you wish to call it. These people swore to defend the US against all enemies foreign and domestic. . . makes you kind of wonder huh?
All enemies foreign and domestic ... but ... only if it's the "right enemy"???

That's what these individuals are trying to tell the world, it's the wrong enemy ... but ... when did we ever allow a soldier a right to choose which enemy he would fight. For the life of me, reading the history of the world doesn't show one single army or government ever giving the foot slogger the option of not fighting because he/she believes they would be fighting the wrong enemy.

So it begs the question ... why would any soldier think it was alright to NOT follow the orders of those appointed over them and go to war with their country's enemies.

We all know it isn't because they have the legal option to do so ... that's not a valid reason.

So why would they believe it was the right thing to do to slink across the US/Canadian border like a thief in the dark.

The answer is so simple it really requires no discussion or thought.

Go back to the top of this post and read Marinerhodes' quote. They are cowards. It's that simple.

Last edited:
I was conscripted. and that is a different situation. Those recruits should have knew that before they even thought about signing up.

But for me I don't mind. I like guns very much and I can kill someone and get away with it:twisted: .

The public decides who the people in power are and the people in power choose who to fight.
To refuse to fight would be... undemocratic :lol:

Oh and Obvious, not all Korean military personnel are conscripted. I am a RoK Marine serving on Baekryoung Island and I am a pure volunteer. Where did you serve? If you live in Seoul maybe you or I can buy a beer when I go on leave.

Last edited:
yingying said:
i know nothing but what i mentioned.:dive:

yingying said:
iraq have nothing.
no beautiful women,no enough water, no clean way,no trees,no sexy girls,but islam.......but only desert and sand.

hell,indeed.

i think it will be very ok for them to be in japan but not iraq.in fact japan posess all .maybe .

That was kind of my point. I have talked to many people that have served over there and are still serving over there. You are wrong on every "fact" in your post. Except maybe the water issue.

Maybe those that have served would be willing to elaborate on the water situation.

Italian Guy said:
"Japan has it all"?

Everybody knows Japan is very poor with raw materials.

He must be talking about Methane clathrate
In territory sea of Japan,it is said Energy of 100 years is there.
But at least 10 years is needed to produce them.

Iraq actually has a lot of water for the region it's in along the Euphrates and Tigris rivers which flow in from Turkey.

the_13th_redneck said:
Iraq actually has a lot of water for the region it's in along the Euphrates and Tigris rivers which flow in from Turkey.

Yup, very lush areas around the rivers, kinda nice when it doesn't smell like raw sewage.

Back