The Soldier's Creed

Gunner13

The latest thing from HQ Department of the Army. Not sure it is necessary (I thought the oath I took when I signed up said it all), but a lot of people are really worried about the Service Support folks out there and their (perceived) lack of focus on combat skills:

I am an American Soldier.
I am a Warrior and a member of a team. I serve the people of the United States and live the Army Values.
I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.
I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills. I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.
I am an expert and I am a professional.
I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.
I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.
I am an American Soldier.

Yeah, I've seen that too. I've also seen and memorized another thing a while back which is also called 'The Soldier's Creed.' Probably unofficial, but I'll post it here:

I am an American Soldier. I am a member of the United States Army -- a protector of the greatest nation on earth. Because I am proud of the uniform I wear, I will always act in ways creditable to the military service and the nation it is sworn to guard.

I am proud of my own organization. I will do all I can to make it the finest unit in the Army. I will be loyal to those under whom I serve. I will do my full part to carry out orders and instructions given to me or my unit.

As a soldier, I realize that I am a member of a time-honored profession--that I am doing my share to keep alive the principles of freedom for which my country stands. No matter what the situation I am in, I will never do anything, for pleasure, profit, or personal safety, which will disgrace my uniform, my unit, or my country. I will use every means I have, even beyond the line of duty, to restrain my Army comrades from actions disgraceful to themselves and to the uniform.

I am proud of my country and its flag. I will try to make the people of this nation proud of the service I represent, for I am an American Soldier.

You are correct sir! That one is from about 5 to 6 years ago, before the Army replaced it with the one on the back of the Army Values Card (which runs):

I. I am an American soldier - a protector of the greatest nation on earth - sworn to uphold the Constitution of the United States.

II. I will treat others with dignity and respect and expect others to do the same.

III. I will honor my Country, the Army, my unit and my fellow soldiers by living the Army values.

IV. No matter what situation I am in, I will never do anything, for pleasure, profit, or personal safety, which will disgrace my uniform, my unit, or my Country.

V. Lastly, am proud of my Country and its flag. I want to look back and say that I am proud to have served my Country as a soldier.

I'm not sure which version reads the best, but this is the only one to ever really focus on the US Consitution and its defense.

Back