Soldier's Account of the War in Iraq

Jim Gooses views

Guys,
I don't mind what Jim is saying as it reflects a popular view outside of the United States of what the war is about.
Maybe right, maybe wrong but a huge majority of people do feel that way.
Let him have his opionion after all thats what democracy is all about isn't it?
The right of free speech and people entitled to their opinion.
What supprised me whilst training with the US military last year, was how one sided and biased US media reporting is of the war and how anyone voicing a view contray to public opinion was vilified as supporting the enemy etc etc.
In Australia we have all views on tv. Those supporting the war and those that want the boys to come home.
Cheers all.

Charge_7 said:
"a huge majority of people do feel that way"

Back that statement up with facts please.

charge i know that you are going to shoot mae down for this but warwick is right. it is an over simplified and widely held belief that the US would go to these lengths to secure oil. i don't believe it but many people do.
and i think that the request to "back it up" is, well, not helpful.

surely you realise that not everyone considers the US the land of milk and honey, and that current actions have made the US unpopular.

the US media is probably your worst enemy, sheltering you from outside opinion. afterall, you can't change if you don't know your doing something wrong!

STOP WATCHING FOX AND TRY THE BBC!

Of course I know not all the world loves us. I dispute the idea though that it is a "huge majority". Show me some figures or it's all hyperbole.

BTW, I watch _much_ more than FOX to include your beloved BBC.

back on the original topic...

As a soldier who spent time in Iraq, I must say I like the written piece. I have not done some of the things written since I was never in direct combat. I never want to know what it is like to lose a comrade in battle.

Charge_7 said:
Of course I know not all the world loves us. I dispute the idea though that it is a "huge majority". Show me some figures or it's all hyperbole.

BTW, I watch _much_ more than FOX to include your beloved BBC.

good for you.

but i do agree that it's not a "huge Majority". but if anything it is a significant proportion.

hmmmm a google search for who dislikes america?

.....i know i know, back on topic!

as i said eirlier in the piece, it's probably the most balanced thing if seen about the iraq war....esp on this forum

a SOLDIERS TALE

Chage 7.
I'm quite happy to run around the world with a couple of clipboards, taking down signatures if thats the figures you need!TIC
Seriously how would you like me to back it all up????
World public opinion is a difficult thing to quantify, but I also served twice in the Gulf and opinions between US troops is also not so cut and dried.
I don't want to arc up a fight, just got my opinion heard the wrong way and I opologise to any Americans that are offended by my post.

Warwick's right. Most people I met are convinced that oil was the reason to go in despite all the evidence against it.

"World public opinion is a difficult thing to quantify"

My point exactly. One shouldn't make statements they can't backup. That's in the rules here so don't blame me if I call you to task for violating them.

Of course oil is a concern, it is not the main concern however. Stability in the region is a concern, it is not the main concern either. The main concern is the security and well being of our nation and I defy any other nation to say that it is not _their_ main concern as well.

Back