Soldier survives attack; captures, medically treats sniper

AJChenMPH

Forum Health Inspector
You have got to be kidding me. And there's video to boot! :shock:

Army Times said:
July 15, 2005

During a routine patrol in Baghdad June 2, Army Pfc. Stephen Tschiderer, a medic, was shot in the chest by an enemy sniper, hiding in a van just 75 yards away. The incident was filmed by the insurgents.

Tschiderer, with E Troop, 101st “Saber” Cavalry Division, attached to 3rd Battalion, 156th Infantry Regiment, 256th Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, was knocked to the ground from the impact, but he popped right back up, took cover and located the enemy’s position.

After tracking down the now-wounded sniper with a team from B Company, 4th Battalion, 1st Iraqi Army Brigade, Tschiderer secured the terrorist with a pair of handcuffs and gave medical aid to the terrorist who’d tried to kill him just minutes before.

See the video of the attack.

Read the account of the incident from the 256th Brigade Combat Team.

tschiderer071505.JPG

Pfc. Stephen Tschiderer is a native of Mendon, N.Y.

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-976420.php

hes certainally a professional medic (a professional infantryman might not have left a breathing terrorist around :evil: )

Locke said:
hes certainally a professional medic (a professional infantryman might not have left a breathing terrorist around :evil: )

Very true although professional sniper wouldnt have given him the chance.

However you have to admire the guy's pressence of mind and professionalism I certainly dont think I would have been enthusiastic about treating the "sniper".

I believe he furthered our cause far more in sparing the sniper and treating his wounds than he ever could've in eliminating one more terrorist. Here is clearly shown the difference between what we hope for the world and what they do. And that has relevance beyond words and is worlds away from one more dead terrorist.

He did a helluva job. And exactly what he was trained to do. Kudos to the Medic.

That being said. I will say. He's a better man than me. I don't know that I would have worried much about treating him after he tried to pop me.

Interesting just how Hollywood really exaggerates all the blood and the impact when a man is shot in a movie. I don't understand though, was he wearing a vest with ceramic plates? Because that's the only thing, as far as I know, that can stop a 7.62 round, assuming the Iraqis were using an AK (SVD perhaps?), but even then broken ribs, unconsciousness and such are common occurances after being shot. He got up pretty quick and moved lively after falling on the ground.

War's full of surprises.

Oh yeah, that guy is truely a good hearted american man. If it was me, and I caught up to the guy who shot me? oooooh man abu-garib would look like a roudy college party compared to what I'd do to him.

Im surprised he survived a 7.62 hit. Those bullets pack one hell of a punch! I guess it depends where and how far he fired his rifle from.

Personally i would let the sniper live, but not without something to remember.

Now guys that the kinda soldiers Id like to serve with no matter what. :)
Marines Never go Down with out a fight.

03USMC said:
That being said. I will say. He's a better man than me. I don't know that I would have worried much about treating him after he tried to pop me.

True. I'd be more than a little irritated with the man. :m16shoot:

Back