Soldier Needed 3 Bags; Airline Made Him Pay

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
El Paso Times
July 31, 2008
By Chris Roberts, El Paso Times
EL PASO -- After adding all the extra equipment -- boots, foul-weather gear, uniforms and the like -- required to train before deploying to Iraq, Staff Sgt. Ashley Serrano had filled three bags.
That was one more than American Airlines was willing to let fly without an extra baggage charge of $100.
Many airlines, faced with the rising price of jet fuel and other costs, have instituted luggage fees. And now military officials are having to re-evaluate policy as soldiers, many of whom are at lower pay grades, face significant charges to haul equipment required by their jobs.
Serrano said he was confronted Friday at El Paso International Airport with a demand for $100 for his third bag. When he mentioned he was headed for Camp Bowie -- where Texas Army National Guard soldiers train before deployment -- he said they told him, without a smile, that the Army should have given him a voucher. A soldier traveling with Serrano had three extra bags and was charged $300, he said.
"I have flown Southwest, Continental, and when they saw me in uniform, they didn't even ask," Serrano said. "I flew American a couple of times before, but I never had this problem."
American Airlines' baggage policy allows service members one checked 100-pound duffel-type bag, one standard checked 50-pound suitcase and one standard carry-on suitcase of up to 40 pounds, "for a total of 190 pounds of free luggage," airline spokesman Tim Wagner said in an e-mail. Wagner said the policy has been in effect for at least five years.
Since June 15, civilian passengers pay a $15, one-way fee for the first checked bag, a $25 fee for the second checked bag, and $100 each for the third, fourth and fifth bags, according to the American Airlines policy. Other fees are charged for additional luggage and overweight and oversize bags. Military service members are allowed larger and heavier bags, according to the policy.
"I am not aware of any ability by our agents to waive an excess-baggage fee, even for military personnel -- since they already have the common checked bag fees waived in our policy," Wagner said. "Otherwise, our policy is very generous, as you can see, and intentionally so. We're very proud of our military forces -- and many of our employees began their flying careers with the military -- so we're pleased to be able to help."
Wagner offered to look into the case if the soldier thought the policy wasn't properly applied.
Said Serrano, "You couldn't fit it all into two (checked) bags if you tried."
In the past, troops carrying equipment needed for their specialized jobs would get authorization for reimbursement of excess baggage fees that would be included in their orders, said Col. Bill Meehan, spokesman for the Texas Army and Air National Guard.
"We have had over 15,000 deployments in the past five years," Meehan said, "and this is the first time I've heard about it."
Meehan said National Guard soldiers carry the same equipment as deploying active-duty soldiers. He said Serrano can go back to the unit and request reimbursement. But it wasn't clear whether that kind of request would be granted, Meehan said, adding that Texas military forces officials are looking at the reimbursement policy in light of airline policy changes.
Fort Bliss officials also said they were looking at their policies on deploying soldiers' baggage.
"We are making sure orders are clear about what they carry and what they don't," post spokeswoman Jean Offutt said. "We are looking to see if they can be reimbursed and whether orders can be amended" to allow reimbursement after the trip.
Serrano, with Charlie Company, 949th Forward Support Battalion out of Grand Prairie, Texas, lives in El Paso.
He served a tour of duty in Kuwait in 2004 and is one of about 3,000 guard soldiers training at Camp Bowie for deployment. Serrano expects to deploy from Fort Stewart, Ga., to Iraq "within the next two months."

Back