~Soldier named Jinkins?

MightyMacbeth

I am Honor
Anybody know about him?

A US army soldier named Jinkins if I am not mistaken. He decieved the US army and surrendered to North Korea. The N.Koreans got him and imprisoned him in 1965. He recently got released a few time ago, dont know when. He got married to a Japanese woman that was also captured by the N.Koreans..

Got quite fascinated bout him, thought some might know more or could direct me to useful stuff..

Thanx :m1:

Mighty MAc, a little search on google leads you to a story in the news today about Charles Robert Jenkins a Korean War deserter. I didn't read the article. Frankly, I have no interest in deserters but knock yourself out.
(CBS) In 1965, Charles "Robert" Jenkins, an American soldier, did something impossible to understand. He deserted to North Korea and got stuck there.

For 39 years, six months and four days, he was trapped in a bizarre Stalinist state — hungry, suffering, told by the government how to live, what to read, and even when to have sex. Never before has an American lived among the secretive North Koreans so long and escaped to tell the tale.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/20/60minutes/main959455.shtml

This is what should have happened to him IMO.

[FONT=ARIAL,HELVETICA]On Jan. 31, 1945, Hamtramck-born Eddie Slovik was executed by firing a squad near the village of Ste-Marie aux Mines for the crime of desertion. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, supreme allied commander, personally ordered the execution during the closing days of World War II in order to deter other potential deserters.
During World War II, 21,049 American military personel were convicted of desertion, 49 were sentenced to death, but only Pvt. Slovik paid the ultimate price. In fact, he was the only American soldier to be executed for desertion since the American Civil War.
[/FONT]

ahh.. thanx fellas.
And about his desertion.. well, he doeas not call himself a traitor, why? well he said "becasue If I was a traitor I would have not returned". He, after all these years, turned himself to a US military post in Japan if I wasnt mistaken. He got to trial and was charged, but not very harshly and was a free man again. He went to see his still living mother.. An emotional sight indeed..

Isn't that wonderful. I wonder how his fellow soldiers feel about him :roll:

yeah... true.. hey, why not visit him? must be quite fascinating.. just take it easy when u do, he looks old and crippled.. :)

I agree with u Cooler, and still, he turned himself in... and the US did charge him with stuff, but not like how it would have been like years ago..

and Nix , I dont really know.. just new to this saga 8)

I read the article after all and if you had, you would have read that he deserted because he was scared that his unit was going to be sent to Vietnam.

Definition of a Coward

To be (or) not to be, that is the question.

Some of you will know exactly what I am talking about and some of you won't. Those that know have been there and those who don't - haven't.

A) Definition: COWARD

Being so scared that you can not control your feet as you turn and begin to flee from a horror that is impossible to imagine.
The coward flees, hides and dies a cowardly death ten thousand times.

B) Definition: HERO

Being so scared that you can not control your feet and you turn to stone and are unable to move your feet to flee from a horror that is impossible to imagine.
The hero stands, fights and either dies or lives on the instant with no regrets.

The only real difference is measured by less than a picosecond.

I can in all truthfullness say - There but for God go I!

Nothing wrong with fear in the face of danger. We've all experienced it and if it's not there, there's something really wrong. Your actions in the face of that fear are tell what you are made of. This guy was a patrol leader, on patrol and deserted his squad and left them to fend for themselves. Abandoning is fellow soldiers is something I will never understand. I hope he reunites with some of his former charges and I wonder what he'd say to them? I can imagine what they'd like to say or do to him.

The world is full of fools who don't know how good they have it, even after they were told about the sacrifice of the brave, they still still mock it. They deserve what they get.

Even Jinkins admits he got his punishment. What a sad story.

This reminds me of those Americans who who during the 1920's thought that Communist Russia was somekind of workers paradise, so they left the USA to move there. Well Stalin ended up sending most of those people to the gulag.

Same with those peace activist who now are captured in by terrorist Iraq. They wanted to somehow undermine the US militaries effort in Iraq without realizing what kind of an enemy we are fighting and the lengths of inhumanity they will go spread their terror.

Last edited:
Yawn... he lived long enough to regret a choice made, one made while under the influence of alcohol. Yes he killed something like 20 beers before leading his patrol out into the DMZ. I saw his little mea culpa on 60 Minutes. He also said he did it because the US was sending out more and more aggressive patrols and thought it was going to lead into open hostilities again. This guy's story changes with the wind. Ignore it and it too shall pass... kinda like that bad stir fry I ate yesterday...brb!!

hmmm.. its quite interesting, but u got to look upon the matter with wide open eyes and views.. and try to be balanced..
According to what Jenkins says, that he aint a traitor becasue he returned.. Now everybody got his own deep self.. That man made a mistake.. but I think he has seen enough, and he wants forgiveness, is all..

Back