Soldier! Can you shoot?

--

August 15th, 2013  
Rowan

Topic: Soldier! Can you shoot?

2.5 cms GROUP at 500 metre me. I was GUN and can still do it.. anything else is a lie and and exaggeration unless you've seen a qualified cocher sniper! I didn't make that. The limit of possibility 2.5 at 500. HOW GOOD WERE YOU?

Be honest comrade/bro!
August 15th, 2013  
Rowan

I was friggin good (But not always!) and I'm not too old! Give me another go at 58 yoa!!
August 15th, 2013  
steve ossie

Pretty good in fact very good but how many rounds did you fire and how many counted for the grouping , and it must have been a very still day , and what weapon were you using. Not disbelieving you pal just interested, but still a good group.
I could get a 1 inch group at 300 mtrs 5 rounds with a 7.62 SLR, on a very good day by just using the iron sites normally it was a 2 or 3 inch
--
August 15th, 2013  
The Highway Man

My usual weapon on patrol was a Browning 9mm. Not too good over 500m I'm afraid.
August 16th, 2013  
steve ossie

The 9mm round would not be able to travel 500 mtrs it would fall to the ground ha ha .
August 16th, 2013  
The Highway Man

I know, but it was good for close quarter civilian scaring in Germany.
August 17th, 2013  
MikeP

I trained with M14s in 1966 and we only used silhouette targets out to 500.

Groupings were never measured.
August 17th, 2013  
muscogeemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP
I trained with M14s in 1966 and we only used silhouette targets out to 500.

Groupings were never measured.
In Germany in 1966 we still qualified on the old "pull" targets. Then I could put a M-14 mag all in the red.

I don't know how big the bulls eye was but it was larger than 2.5 cm and I certainly couldn't do it now.
August 17th, 2013  
Warwick

I pass my yearly qual's on all the weapons on my Ground Defence card. Thats my brag... Not a sniper so not particularly worried about groupings TIC.
August 18th, 2013  
brinktk

I don't really measure my groupings. I know I'm a fairly good shot at 500 meters with open sights. I don't really care what the grouping is though, for me...it is about making the shot when it counts. That's really what I care about. Besides, I've never fired over 200-300 meters in an actual firefight. When I was a designated marksman I didn't shoot over 600 meters and that was with optics...but, I never missed. As far as im concerned that's what really matters.