Soldier Accused Of Smuggling Weapons

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Washington Times
March 15, 2007
Pg. B3

An Army soldier from Bowie is accused of smuggling out of Iraq machine guns that were used in a series of local bank robberies, including one caught on tape by a television news crew.
Prosecutors said Leonard Stephan Lockley, 26, was arrested Tuesday on charges of receiving, possessing and selling machine guns while on active duty near Baghdad.
According to court documents, a witness in 2003 saw Mr. Lockley placing four disassembled AK-47-style rifles into a large black metal chest with a false bottom.
The witness said the soldier told him that he had the chest made and was using it to send the weapons to the U.S.
The court documents state that when Mr. Lockley returned home in 2004, he sold some of the weapons, which were later used in the bank robberies.
He faces a maximum sentence of 25 years in prison if convicted.

What an idiot.....

What a shame tough that our current government does not allow GIs to bring back war trophies. I would have loved to bring back some firearms and other items

As long as he doesn't A) Shoot someone or B) Sell them, then it's just a soldier with his war booty far as I'm concerned. I don't understand why they decided to stop letting people bring back stuff they find on the field.

Of course, I would never take the risk of being caught doing something like that, and this guy was clearly quite stupid.

Last edited:
Back