SOI

SEMPERFI

I was just wondering how hard SOI is going to be. I've heard many different stories. Some say it is hard as hell while others say it aint to bad. Also, does anyone know where I can get a list of what to bring to SOI? My SDI gave us a list a week before we left but I lost it in a footlocker dump. Any information would help.

Semper Fi

Never been to SOI myself...I went thru the POG version. Basically I would say bring your seabag issue. That is all I brought along with me. Other than that I would not be able to say.

There is a difference between SOI and MCT. SOI is where the infantry go. MCT is where all others go.

SOI = School of Infantry

MCT = Marine Combat Training

You get much more in depth training in SOI than MCT.

actaully, SOI is the school of infantry, then there is SOI MCT and SOI ITB. your gonna scare the kid b/c on EVERYTHING you read about there is SOI this and SOI that, i thought they screwed up when i first arrived, but then i realized there is SOI ITB and SOI MCT.

MilidarUSMC said:
actaully, SOI is the school of infantry, then there is SOI MCT and SOI ITB. your gonna scare the kid b/c on EVERYTHING you read about there is SOI this and SOI that, i thought they screwed up when i first arrived, but then i realized there is SOI ITB and SOI MCT.

Most people I have come across call it either SOI or MCT. One is for the infantry and one is for other than infantry.

SOI ITB = Grunts
SOI MCT = POGs. (People Other Than Grunts)

Like I said, you get much more in depth training in SOI than in MCT. In SOI you will get more hands on experience about the infantry tactics and about the various weapons. In MCT you get - basically - a brief introduction to the same things that you would learn in depth in SOI.

All males in the infantry go to SOI-ITB

All other males and all the females go to SOI-MCT There, they share seperate living accomodations, but do the training side by side.

Take the stuff with you that you left Boot with.. Once you are through with SOI you will go to your unit, usually without leave. SOI will only be as hard as you make it, this is where you will learn and get better aquainted with the things they started to teach you in Boot.

Its not as stressful as bootcamp. You are a Marine and you'll be treated like a man instead of a recruit. It is what you put into it. be lazy and goof off and you'll be treated poorly. They are there to train you hard physically and mentally. MCT is out in the field all the time, but is only 17 days. ITB is 38 training days, and 8 weeks total. Work on lots of cardio for the humps.

Cheers

you can bring a cell phone, just dont bring it into the field. but as far as the respect thing, it depends on the combat instructors mood that day, my PLT back then were hated by the CI's. and bring some singles into the field so you can use the gatorade machine ;). i wish i did that.

Sooners1 said:
Take the stuff with you that you left Boot with.. Once you are through with SOI you will go to your unit, usually without leave. SOI will only be as hard as you make it, this is where you will learn and get better aquainted with the things they started to teach you in Boot.

If your going to SOI for 03 and not MCT go with what Sooner told you.

Forget about your Cell, laptop, playstation etc.

And for godsakes don't run to the San O PX and buy every gungy Marine Corps Jacket, Cap, T-shirt and sweat suit in sight to wear on libo.

Everybody knows your in the Corps and showing up to your Unit with all the Gungy Wear makes you an instant target for the guys in your Plt.

03USMC said:
Everybody knows your in the Corps and showing up to your Unit with all the Gungy Wear makes you an instant target for the guys in your Plt.

wow i couldn't have put it better myself. the things you see in a town with all high and tights are amazing. even if you weren't checking in EVERYONE will know you are a MARINE... trust me!

you know the boots are gonna do it anyways nomatter how many warnings you give them. its just how fast they learn which is important

i got one q. my test is this monday and if i pass..hopefully..ill go to BC on july..after that...whats next...SOI? i m going for infantry....thanx guys

Back