SOCOM May Need Additional Funds For Irregular Operations

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Defense Daily
June 13, 2007 By Jen DiMascio
Special operations accounts for fight irregular conflicts might need a boost in the future, the nominee for the assistant secretary of defense for special operations and low-intensity conflict told lawmakers yesterday.
Sen. James Inhofe (R-Okla.) asked Michael Vickers whether funding to deal with irregular forces, currently at about $25 million, was adequate.
Vickers said Special Operations Command (SOCOM) might require additional funding for equipment in the future, given its expanded role to face the war on terrorism.
"My understanding is the Special Operations Command in the past few years has spent most of the funds, I believe about $15 million or so. As we move to give greater emphasis to an indirect approach for the war on terror and to a global unconventional warfare campaign, that level may need to be revisited," the nominee said.
Vickers did not provide details about how large the growth might be.
In addition to funding for that broad account, Senators raised questions about more specific equipment needs.
From the perspective of Vice Adm. Eric Olson, nominated to receive a fourth star and lead Special Operations Command, transforming the fixed-wing aviation fleet remains a challenge for the command.
SOCOM has budgeted for "satisfactory" rate of growth in the size of its transport aircraft fleet--not an ideal one, Olson told Sen. Mel Martinez (R-Fla.).
SOCOM has an immediate requirement for 37 C-130 aircraft, Olson said.
"In working with the Air Force we have in our budget request enough funds to accommodate 20 of those across the future year development plan and to deliver 12 within that plan," Olson said. "Ideally, there would be more rapid growth but that is a satisfactory growth rate for us."
Meanwhile, Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) asked Vickers whether lawmakers should take the advice of the Congressional Budget Office and kill the Airborne Laser program.
According to Vickers, the program should remain funded through its first lethal shot test in 2009. Vickers added that the weapon provides an important boost-phase intercept capability that is lacking and would be less expensive than other air defense weapons like the PAC-3.
"I think we ought to continue with R&D and go forward at least to 2009 to where we can see just how well it works," Vickers said.
Thune told Defense Daily he is considering whether to amend the SASC bill to restore funding cut from the Airborne Laser program. Noting that near-term capabilities are a higher priority than long-term technologies, the bill cut $200 million from the president's $548.8 million request for the program.
"We'll see," Thune said of the effort to add back some of those dollars. "We've had a spirited discussion about it already."
Thune said Senators across the partisan divide, including Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) and Sen. Joseph Lieberman (I/D-Conn.), have discussed additional funding for the program.

Back