Soccer

South Korea 0-0 Saudi Arabia.
Typical match where South Korea created a lot of chances but it just turned into a rugby match in front of the opposing goal line. My heart doesn't even jump when someone takes a shot, I nearly fall asleep when South Korea takes a corner (because no one can remember the last time South Korea scored off a corner kick)... pure crap.
I just watch so I can bad mouth the team.

As I remember it, South Korea used to score great goals in the World Cup. Fast and furious football and hot-shot strikers. Am I right?

Guus Hiddink and a touch of luck with the linesmen.
No hot shot strikers.
The goals were pretty evenly spaced out between players.

Those great goals from distance were ancient. Basically stuff from the '80s and '90s.
2002... there were two from distance and one was a fluke off a deflection.

Great game indeed. Wow, so many good head goals. The first goal had an awesome engineering, a most excellent display of constructive teamwork.

Guess Ronaldo had one his bad days, lol. Good job Deutschland! :drunkb:

Those great goals from distance were ancient. Basically stuff from the '80s and '90s.
2002... there were two from distance and one was a fluke off a deflection.

Thanks. 80's & 90's are recent stuff for me, you understand; My 'ancient' soccer recollections are the forties! Mostly, I remember great goals and games, but of course South Korea would not have been high on my priorities.

By the way, regarding your old British fancy, Aston Villa. A few days ago, among a number of Taliban dead in Afghanistan was one with an Aston Villa tattoo, according to news reports!

Great game indeed. Wow, so many good head goals. The first goal had an awesome engineering, a most excellent display of constructive teamwork.

Guess Ronaldo had one his bad days, lol. Good job Deutschland! :drunkb:

Yeah, Portugal was way favorite, but Germany exhibited an attack soccer that was just great to watch (though the defense sucked big time, as all through the tourney).

The guy that had the bad day was Ricardo...! (just for the record, I think Ronaldo is overrated, glad Madrid bought him - his tricot number will be a bit larger than the ones of his companions: Raul 7, Kaka 10, Ronaldo 94.000.000 :) )

Great game, if Germany can follow that style...?!

Rattler

USA advances to the semi-finals! It needed the perfect storm, and the futbol gods delivered! I know they'll probably be crushed in the semis, but I'm proud of our boys!

Brazil played fantastic futbol against Italy, who looked almost like they were awaiting their departure from the tournament.

Well, the carnage begins tomorrow... I'm praying for the US, but I think we'll see Spain walk away with the big W.

1830Z today.

Don´t despair, while Spanin´s National Team probably atm is the best in the world, it won´t be on the field, just a B version: Iniesta (the Brain) and Senna (the contention) and some more are injured and cannot play, and the Mister (del Bosque) has changed the style to play for the extremes rather than the famous tiki-taka through the center.

This did not look good at all in the last game, and my guess US has a (slim) chance to surprise today.

OTOH, give Villa or Torres one good pass, and there you go...

Looking forward to the start now,

Rattler

It's at 0300 Local time... hmmm... I guess I have to get up for that?
There will be no replay of that match so I guess I have to!!

Back