Soccer - Page 27

--

October 12th, 2009  
Rob Henderson

Nah... Last time we didn't play all that well... I'm not expecting to WIN the World Cup (although it'd be nice), but I'm definitely seeing a lot of improvement from our side of the pond as far as involvement in soccer goes.

Cut us some slack... We haven't been around as long as you.
October 12th, 2009  
Fox

Don't underestimate the power of underdog American soccer team.....
October 12th, 2009  
ObjSRgtLw

Oh come on you are the world power, better euqipment better weapon systems more soldiers more everything- please let us keep the soccer world and stick to Baseball and Football
Nah, I think you are quite correct there is a growing interest in American Soccer and that's good for soccer world wide but still you have a long long way to go- I don't know if you'll ever keep up because every superb player will go to europe, the fact that some American clubs invest much money to hold 1 pro like Beckham doesn't change that in total.
Sidequestion: what German players are known or even prominent in America (even for newbies to the sport)? That would be interesting to know (old and current players included)
--
October 12th, 2009  
Nina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox
Don't underestimate the power of underdog American soccer team.....
New generations are embracing it more and more, indeed.

Hope the Futsal becomes popular in the US also...when I was a teen it was my very favorite soccer, most my guy friends played both soccer styles. I was watching most of their futsal games! Very fast pace, very exciting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5E34XzxrAM
October 12th, 2009  
ObjSRgtLw

Futsal? Looks a bit like indoor soccer...
and the word itself is very funny at least for a German tongue.
I play both field and indoor both defense/ right defense or defenisve midfield.
I'll go to the tryouts of the University Soccer club tommorrow, they reached the university finals every year- maybe I'll get a chance ^^
October 12th, 2009  
Nina

Yep its the indoor soccer. In the past when I was a teen (24/35 years ago) it was known for "futebol de salao" and got abreviation "futsal" nowdays..

Oh man..how cool you know and enjoy to play it, please dont ever stop playing any soccer as long your body allowes of course. Is it funny wording in German..why? LOL

I love the fast pace, the tennis shoes characteristic noises it makes when playing and the breathing, and how you can feel the players vibes, their sweat, etc... it is just wonderful. I can trully seat and watch a full game and not get tired of it. I have problem to stay quiet and steady seated situations..lol.

Here in the US it is not much popular not much know, yet..I guess on the West Coast North California you can find more teams, not here in the East Coast...I so wished young adults and adults had a team in my area!

If you do not mind please take pictures of your team and you playing and post here. I trully miss it a lot.
October 13th, 2009  
The Other Guy

Soccer has gained a foothold in the US because it's something 6 year olds can do without learning any real skill. It's hard to hit a baseball; anyone can kick at a ball. By the time you reach the high school level, though, anyone still playing is serious about it. The US is getting better, but right now they're just shy of where Poland was in the 70s-80s: Good enough to get close, but not to win.

On a separate note, the high school team around here played the #1 ranked team in the state the other day, who was 12-0-0 coming in. The local team... I think they were about 5-4-3, not great, not terrible, but they lost to a team the #1 team beat 9-0. Plus, the goaltender was red carded the game before and thus couldn't play. So for them, only losing by 4 was going to be considered a win.

Final score was 0-0. The papers are treating it like it was the World Cup.
October 13th, 2009  
ObjSRgtLw

That's hard to explain, many words with el/ al are considered funny because 1. there are many weird bavarian dialect-words with that endings and 2. it's mostly a grammatically "belittlement" (Verniedlichung) like Hänsel und Grätel is the small version of Hans und Grete- same with -chen ending. Is that understandable? Hmm guess not even I don't really get it ^^.
As for the pics, I never saw anyone with a photo camera near our playing grounds but maybe I can recruit someone to do some... ^^ BUT I found pictures of my first soccer club, the TSV Wacker 50- Neutraublingen- Bavaria/ Upper Palatinate (B-youth)
Guess who's me...

October 13th, 2009  
Nina

"Guess who's me..."

I guess one of the blond ones ? Maybe #12? ...awwwww..sooooo cute!

I have a little cousin in DC she used to play for 3 years, now she doesn't anymore. I used to book my trips there, at the same time she would have soccer games etc lol..Her father and myself were the most fanatic, hyper fans around..lol

Thanks a lot.
October 14th, 2009  
Rob Henderson

I was gonna guess the one with his hands up. LOL