Soccer

The Cimboms have some of the most fanatical fan base anywhere in the world. Also I think domestically they've been struggling against Fenerbahce so it makes any European competition even more important for them

I used to follow football heaps, but now I dont have the time and I cant be bothered

But i go for Inter Milano [We got thrashed by Manchester a few days back :(]

Frankfurt No. 1? Seems a little weird compared to Mallorca and Barca especially from a Spanish fellow

...of *German* origin (echtes Frankfurter Würstchen) fellow *living* in Spain since ´83... While I got my new passport allright in JAN, I will never forget the times in the "Waldstadion" on the knees of my father when I was 4 yrs old seeing the "Diva" perform (look, I saw this game with DiStefano and Puskas live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKJA8Kq_fxU, and this was when I became - in Germany - Barca fan, as they played - on our bw screens - in black, white was the antichrist then... :wink:), the times with "Der Zahnarzt" Dr. Kunter as a night blind (everybody gotta suffer when SGE was playing in artificial lighting) goalie, the times with our world champions (Hölzenbein, KHK), the times with Stein, Uwe Bein, Okocha, Yeboah, Gaudino and (Bye Bye Bayern!) Topmöller, you name it, until Jupp Heinkes :)rambo:) ruined it all...

This stuff just won´t go away from your feelings, no matter what is your passport espeically when for some time they played *The* best soccer of a European club, even if we are a yo-yo team now and always doing the same as Real Mallorca classification-wise (today the decisive game against Espanyol! Live in the internet somewhere at 1600 GMT as it is for free)...

Interestingly I live house to house (village to village) with the brother of Maurizio Gaudino...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMi2leYimLM (as for the refrain, about time, 1959 is - even for an old fart like myself - a *loooong* time ago...)

Any more questions? :horsie:

Rattler

Last edited:
Portsmouth FC, a small club, great heart and a little bit talent, also some very odd fans. Not top flight but always dangerous, I like to think them as Insp Closeau, to the Premiership Cato.

Someone once said, “Football (soccer) is a game for gentlemen played by hooligans, Rugby is a game for hooligans played by gentlemen.”

Still don't get it why them freakin' Tommys call it soccer not football- isn't soccer older? Anyway- you must have a Doctor degree to understand American Football- starting with yards and so on ;)

Still don't get it why them freakin' Tommys call it soccer not football- isn't soccer older? Anyway- you must have a Doctor degree to understand American Football- starting with yards and so on ;)

You don't need a doctorate to understand American football, all you need is a case of cheap beer, a hat with two can holders and one straw, a 42" plasma tv, and a $215 Jersey of your favorite player.
Oh and lets not forget a bowel of chips, and pretzels on the coffee table.
THAT.....is why I watch Baseball, Rugby, and football (soccer)

Love Soccer. Don't love the price I gotta pay Direct TV to get MLS.........So I watch Mexican League on Univision.

Love Soccer. Don't love the price I gotta pay Direct TV to get MLS.........So I watch Mexican League on Univision.

Thats why I have cox cable :)
that and teh fact that i live a little too close to Oceana Naval Air sataion to use sat tv

The Brits are the Tommy's, the Americans are Yanks, amongst other names I've heard.

American football is really simple, there are 2 sides, each with at least 3 teams - the defence, the offence and a "special" team. The defence defends, the offecne offends, sorry attacks & the special team gets trotted out when they want to try something different.

Within each team there are 2 batlles going on, 1 is basically a wrestling match, between people trying to get the ball and people trying to stop them; The other is an athletics race between someone who has the ball and someone who wants it. I'm sure that I'll be corrected by my American comrades.

However the thing that I j=have never understood is - WHY IS IT CALLED FOOTBALL? There are only 2 times when a foot will touch the ball, to kick off & to try for a field goal / penalty goal!!

Apart from that the best way to understand is to drink beer, argue with the ref & wonder what would happen if they had to play rugby!

Someone once said, “Football (soccer) is a game for gentlemen played by hooligans, Rugby is a game for hooligans played by gentlemen.”

In American Football they don't kick the ball; In Soccer they kick the man when they can't kick the ball; In Rugby they kick the ball when they can't kick the man.

1st: Sorry if i used the wrong term, but I still don't think the Germans called the American Soldiers Yanks... or did they? Well doesn't matter.

2nd: I didn't say I don't like it- actually I watched Super Bowl, which was amazing and additionally I recently got Madden NFL 09 for PS3 to play and learn the game a bit, still think It's the most complicated game after cricket ;). Don't know why that is...

I will admit there are a lot of rules to American football, but European football isn't exactly a cut and dry system either... Try explaining the offside rule to a Yankee. ;)

Back