Soccer

Nah... Last time we didn't play all that well... I'm not expecting to WIN the World Cup (although it'd be nice), but I'm definitely seeing a lot of improvement from our side of the pond as far as involvement in soccer goes.

Cut us some slack... We haven't been around as long as you. :p

Oh come on you are the world power, better euqipment better weapon systems more soldiers more everything- please let us keep the soccer world and stick to Baseball and Football ;)
Nah, I think you are quite correct there is a growing interest in American Soccer and that's good for soccer world wide but still you have a long long way to go- I don't know if you'll ever keep up because every superb player will go to europe, the fact that some American clubs invest much money to hold 1 pro like Beckham doesn't change that in total.
Sidequestion: what German players are known or even prominent in America (even for newbies to the sport)? That would be interesting to know (old and current players included)

Last edited:
Futsal? Looks a bit like indoor soccer...
and the word itself is very funny at least for a German tongue.
I play both field and indoor both defense/ right defense or defenisve midfield.
I'll go to the tryouts of the University Soccer club tommorrow, they reached the university finals every year- maybe I'll get a chance ^^

Yep its the indoor soccer. In the past when I was a teen (24/35 years ago) it was known for "futebol de salao" and got abreviation "futsal" nowdays..

Oh man..how cool you know and enjoy to play it, please dont ever stop playing any soccer as long your body allowes of course. Is it funny wording in German..why? LOL

I love the fast pace, the tennis shoes characteristic noises it makes when playing and the breathing, and how you can feel the players vibes, their sweat, etc... it is just wonderful. I can trully seat and watch a full game and not get tired of it. I have problem to stay quiet and steady seated situations..lol.

Here in the US it is not much popular not much know, yet..I guess on the West Coast North California you can find more teams, not here in the East Coast...I so wished young adults and adults had a team in my area!

If you do not mind please take pictures of your team and you playing and post here. I trully miss it a lot.

Soccer has gained a foothold in the US because it's something 6 year olds can do without learning any real skill. It's hard to hit a baseball; anyone can kick at a ball. By the time you reach the high school level, though, anyone still playing is serious about it. The US is getting better, but right now they're just shy of where Poland was in the 70s-80s: Good enough to get close, but not to win.

On a separate note, the high school team around here played the #1 ranked team in the state the other day, who was 12-0-0 coming in. The local team... I think they were about 5-4-3, not great, not terrible, but they lost to a team the #1 team beat 9-0. Plus, the goaltender was red carded the game before and thus couldn't play. So for them, only losing by 4 was going to be considered a win.

Final score was 0-0. The papers are treating it like it was the World Cup. :D

That's hard to explain, many words with el/ al are considered funny because 1. there are many weird bavarian dialect-words with that endings and 2. it's mostly a grammatically "belittlement" (Verniedlichung) like Hänsel und Grätel is the small version of Hans und Grete- same with -chen ending. Is that understandable? Hmm guess not even I don't really get it ^^.
As for the pics, I never saw anyone with a photo camera near our playing grounds but maybe I can recruit someone to do some... ^^ BUT I found pictures of my first soccer club, the TSV Wacker 50- Neutraublingen- Bavaria/ Upper Palatinate (B-youth) ;)
Guess who's me...
fuball32.jpg

fuball42.jpg

fuball52.jpg

Last edited:
"Guess who's me..."

I guess one of the blond ones ? Maybe #12? ...awwwww..sooooo cute!

I have a little cousin in DC she used to play for 3 years, now she doesn't anymore. I used to book my trips there, at the same time she would have soccer games etc lol..Her father and myself were the most fanatic, hyper fans around..lol

Thanks a lot.

Number 12 red is correct ;)
I'm currently a bit of a soccer maniac...
Sunday: Soccer
Monday: 2 hours running
Tuesday: Soccer training 2 hours
Wendsday: 0830 Soccer, 1800 Training --> 4 hours
Thursday: Soccer

Gimme more! ;)
By the way- do you have the same commercial (if you have any soccer commercials in the u.s):
Ribery commercial

Message: "Sweet Breakfast would have been nice... sleeping late would have been nice... but nice doesn't win soccer games"

My absolute favorite commercial:
Ribery Toni

Last edited:
"Number 12 red is correct :wink:
I'm currently a bit of a soccer maniac...
Sunday: Soccer
Monday: 2 hours running
Tuesday: Soccer training 2 hours
Wendsday: 0830 Soccer, 1800 Training --> 4 hours
Thursday: Soccer

Gimme more! :wink:
By the way- do you have the same commercial (if you have any soccer commercials in the u.s):"

Aha..I kind of knew it..somehow..because a parent taking picture of their kid in action even when the kid was not facing the camera!

Great you maniac and must be in excellent shape with all the practices routines. Like swimmers having their very characteristic body, football players do have very strong muscular, thick legs..have you ever try running on beach sand? I used to love doing that..well it is trully special doing sports near the ocean breeze. I guess you mentioned Bavaria? If so I guess you have the Danubio near by...

I guess they might have some soccer commercial on sport tv channels in the US..but I havent seen it yet as I am not watching much tv nowdays and my roomate is into the fightings watch.

But I trully like your links and it sure gives away the camaraderies among most futebol players, maniacs and fanatics because of the love of the sport!
Those 2 represented there were very funny..lol..what a distance goool was that? LOL...boys/men can be very fun and funny creatures...

Thanks for sharing.

Not a bad Idea- I'm currently living in Hamburg City- so the next coast for running is like almost an hour driving (half of the time to get out of the city). But next year I'll be stationed very near the West-coast- Jever- Wilhelmshafen, I'll try it then, thanks for the advice.
Next training tommorrow 18-2000 ;)
Friday will be first and only relaxation-day, Saturday i'll be on a military close combat seminar of about 4 hrs- and sunday the soccer circle starts again ^^
Yeah I have some power in my legs but unfortunately not in my arms - I've no probs at all training but stuff with arms is always annoying . Team sport is more fun and running is connected with moving and not with being locked in a room without any fresh air...

By the way- fo anyone interested there will be a top game in German League this weekend. Saturday 1830 local (German) time. It's current 1st place against 2nd (though they have the same points)- Hamburg vs. Leverkusen... I just hope Hamburg will do fine without 2 top strikers who are currently recovering from injury and will be back after the winter break, there's not much reserve available in the front positions... but both teams are on fire at the moment- it surely is a promising game. So for all who get German League games check it out and enjoy and thumbs up for Hamburg Sports Club ;)
And I didn't get tickets for the game -.-they are already out for weeks and I don't possess a season ticket... :( :( :(

Last edited:
Update on mine and 13th battle for the Spanish Fantasy League:

After 6 days 13th_redneck has 251,5 points, myself 252,5... So, it´s a close match: Winning by one point does not mean anything, on the 5th day I was more than 20 behind... but now coming on strong :)

Rattler

My mind wanted more than my body was willing to give- meaning that I'll have to pause soccer because of shinbone inflammation(?). But I'll switch to strength training until that part of my body is broken too -.-
Damn body limits...
But there's a lot of soccer coming up, Champions League today with Bayern Munic and Wolfsburg and tommorrow it's Hamburg vs. Celtic...

Back