Soccer

I don't think the US really underestimated Brazil in the second half, the Brazilians came back with their game face on and knowing that they would be crucified if they came back having lost in the Confederations Cup final against the USA of all teams.

Next time USA! I didn't see the game here, but it was a very, very creditable result against a team who usually win anything worth winning.

It could be said that you have arrived at the top table.:cheers:

I don't think the US really underestimated Brazil in the second half, the Brazilians came back with their game face on and knowing that they would be crucified if they came back having lost in the Confederations Cup final against the USA of all teams.
That, and the USA made a LOT of sloppy mistakes... Like Rattler said, we're good, but we've got a lot to learn.

Basically in the 2nd half it came down to the fact that the Brazilian players were a lot better than the US players. It really was that simple.

Actually, he said (and re-reading I *hate* this forum software not allowing nested quotes): "...understimated the power of Brazilian vengance..." ("urge" the word lacking, as I understand it, R.?). This is not the same as underestimating Brazil (team), and I responded on that first notion.

I do *not* think it possible for any team to underestimate Brazil, ever... :drill:, they wear all those stars (5) on their trikot for a reason, after all...

brazil_trikot.jpg

Rattler

Last edited:
I am interested to see how many referees we have here. I was a longtime player with just about a clean sheet. In my opinion referees do vary, mostly in attitude. Some refs I always felt comfortable with and could concentrate on my game without any other consideration. On the other hand, around 1964, a few minutes into a cup game against Wells City, I ran fowl of a real nightmare man. What I told him cost me a life ban (sine dine), which was not rescued for a season or so, when I received an apology and a commendation for my career.

After that, some referees stayed continually on my back, and cost me many injuries which went unpunished, and was probably responsible for the necessity of the new right hip I have just received. A marked man, completely unjustified.

Other refs I really enjoyed .

Simply put, once the Brazilian steamroller went to work knowing that they would be crucified for anything less than a victory in a final against the US, they were unstoppable.

I think the US tried to attack but it just lost every opportunity to do so. The Brazilians were simply too good (and too pissed) and brushed aside every attempt the US made at attack.

I am interested to see how many referees we have here. I was a longtime player with just about a clean sheet. In my opinion referees do vary, mostly in attitude. Some refs I always felt comfortable with and could concentrate on my game without any other consideration. On the other hand, around 1964, a few minutes into a cup game against Wells City, I ran fowl of a real nightmare man. What I told him cost me a life ban (sine dine), which was not rescued for a season or so, when I received an apology and a commendation for my career.

After that, some referees stayed continually on my back, and cost me many injuries which went unpunished, and was probably responsible for the necessity of the new right hip I have just received. A marked man, completely unjustified.

It sounds like you were a pro Del Boy. What grade did you play at?

USA arre ranked 13 with FIFA. At this rank they are worthy to compete with the best and Brazil.

I am sure, there are attitudes, and as a ref I try to avoid them.

But, I am also sure, there is experience, and as a ref, I try to make use of it.

Both, of cause, influences - like it or not - decisions.

In my case (I have only fairly recently become ref, amateur class - but have been player and coach for many a years -, and my players are between 14 and 18, my main prob are parents that want to "lynch" you for whatever decision you take or not) I *do* actively keep an eye on players that have a "record" (come it from audience, personal experience, or colleagues).

I understand players (esp in serious matches, which I never had - nor will have - to ref) can go adrenaline-to-upper-underlip-level, but I will *never* allow insults (from my POV this is not so much a player but rather a coach failure, he should explain to them how to act. I understand there are guys that are instruction-resistent, but, again: This is not my prob).

Should I have (which I haven´t had yet) a player with such record (insults) on my roster for the next one, I will investigate, *and* I will keep an eye on him, maybe more than on others.

Dont know whether this helps, I trust it was different in the 60/70´s, but the basics still sound true (and I apologize if that should come over offensively, not meant at all, just reporting to your request)

Rattler

P.S.: FDR, I am trying to let the game flow as ref w/o too much influencing (sure: making a stance in the first 5 min so they do not think I can be ignored or my beard pulled), it is the 2nd (when I was not dead sure about the first) foul I will not let pass without admonition (not necessecarily card, verbal also helps if the players are prepared to listen). Third goes yellow, fourth I will look for reasons to draw 2nd y/red.

My guess, I am one of the refs you would have got along with... :)

R.

I am sure, there are attitudes, and as a ref I try to avoid them.

But, I am also sure, there is experience, and as a ref, I try to make use of it.

Both, of cause, influences - like it or not - decisions.

In my case (I have only fairly recently become ref, amateur class - but have been player and coach for many a years -, and my players are between 14 and 18, my main prob are parents that want to "lynch" you for whatever decision you take or not) I *do* actively keep an eye on players that have a "record" (come it from audience, personal experience, or colleagues).

I understand players (esp in serious matches, which I never had - nor will have - to ref) can go adrenaline-to-upper-underlip-level, but I will *never* allow insults (from my POV this is not so much a player but rather a coach failure, he should explain to them how to act. I understand there are guys that are instruction-resistent, but, again: This is not my prob).

Should I have (which I haven´t had yet) a player with such record (insults) on my roster for the next one, I will investigate, *and* I will keep an eye on him, maybe more than on others.

Dont know whether this helps, I trust it was different in the 60/70´s, but the basics still sound true (and I apologize if that should come over offensively, not meant at all, just reporting to your request)

Rattler

P.S.: FDR, I am trying to let the game flow as ref w/o too much influencing (sure: making a stance in the first 5 min so they do not think I can be ignored or my beard pulled), it is the 2nd (when I was not dead sure about the first) foul I will not let pass without admonition (not necessecarily card, verbal also helps if the players are prepared to listen). Third goes yellow, fourth I will look for reasons to draw 2nd y/red.

My guess, I am one of the refs you would have got along with... :)

R.
Try being a young kid officiating games with players who are older than you... They ALWAYS question my calls and judgement, and most of the time, I've been playing longer than they have.

It sounds like you were a pro Del Boy. What grade did you play at?

USA arre ranked 13 with FIFA. At this rank they are worthy to compete with the best and Brazil.

No such luck Dougal, nothing i would have liked more. Just a routine mid-field ball-winner and distributor; never stopped running. Played 12-18 in a great National Association of boys clubs team in London who became just about unbeatable, including guys who became top amateurs with Barnet, Clapton, Leytonstone and Walthamstow Ave. One of them was the best player I ever saw - Kenny Bennett. Then came Army service so that was Regimental level with guys like Bill Pinkerton the Queens Park goalie,( with Alex Ferguson,) who flew up to his home ground Hampden Park from Wiltshire to play each week-end. After that, wherever I lived, I played for the local club until I had to retire through injury. Just a runner and a worker, and battler, but never dropped I am pleased to say. I was very lucky as a kid in London to have seen all the greatest players at their peak. How about regularly watching Dave Mackay and Danny Blanchflower in tandem. My ban was inflicted by the Football Association (Somerset), I later played in the Wiltshire Premier league for Warminster. So a long career, but at roots level.

Like Rattler, I am very interested in boys' football , having had 6 boys go through the system . ( some with Bristol Rovers, one with Arsenal, I was at The Emirates with him last season). I have always been ready to pass on the good sporting tradition of playing hard and fair for 90 minutes and then shaking hands. I am always ready to stick myself up as an example of a sound and clean player running into trouble not of his own making, simply by losing his temper at the wrong time with authority. I always tell them that no matter what the provocation, they should always smile, offer their hand and walk away. And then play even harder to win.

What a great game. I agree iwth Rattler re. refs' attitudes - a good ref would often have a word in your ear as he passed.

Last edited:
Well, lately I have been trying to improve my style as ref (following this instruction vid below), but I somehow cannot find a pink whistle anywhere... :(

Improving Your Soccer Referee Style

I love that vid, there used to be a longer version (in better quality) available, if anybody finds it let me know.

To be fair, it was the ref´s retirement match (IIRC it was in Brazil, but not sure) and people really seemed to like it.

Rattler

P.S.: Ouch!

Ouch!

Last edited:
Hahahaha! I loved the second one! I've received the first one in many an email from my fellow AYSO refs with various subject title lines.. "Hey Rob, you could learn a thing or two from this fellow." or "Hey Rob, he kinda looks like you reffing a game!"

They pick on me cause I'm the baby. Hahaha.

OH ****! Hahahaha. That looked PAINFUL! I remember playing indoor one year, and we had a kid who could kick a ball from one corner to the opposite corner on a regulation field playing... I stood in front of him on a free kick... Broke my glasses clean in two and knocked me senseless for a few minutes. LOL

Back