So whats my job gonna be

14Juliet

Air defence command control computers communications and inteligence tactical operations center enhanced operator/maintainer is whats on my contract :?

The goarmy.com site says

An Air Defense Tactical Operations Center Operator is a member of the Army's field artillery team. Artillery are weapons that fire large ammunition or missiles to support infantry and tank units in combat. The Air Defense Tactical Operations Center Operator primarily supervises or serves as a member of an early warning team.

Here are the duties of an Air Defense Tactical Operations Center Operator:

* Detect, track and identify aircraft
* Broadcast early warning information
* Perform operations and intelligence duties in Air Defense units

Now I know artillery can pertain just to air defence but whys it give a definition of supporting tanks and infantry? Is that just somebody going by the literal definition? I also thought I remembered from the video they were shown setting up sensor equipment on the ground. Not that I mind it, I'm just wondering. Pure air defence sounds incredibly boring. What is there to shoot down when American airpower is present but our own planes? From what i've heard from people from the military, if you dont have a useful job they have you do other stuff at times.

I was also told it had some to do with coordination between the branches.

Anybody ever known anybody who was a 14J or familiar with the job?

I used to teach at the Air Defense Artillery School in Fort Bliss, Texas. I don't think any ADA job is "not useful". Everyone get tasked to do details no matter what your MOS is, that's something you need to get used to. Supporting armor and infantry is what Air Defense does, it's what all artillery does.
If enemy aircraft decide to attack the guys on the ground, somebody's got to stop them, right? That's you.
If you're worried about having enough to do, trust me you'll have plenty to do, especially in training. I use the term training to describe any time you're not actually engaging the enemy. You will train, train, train and just when you're good enough, you'll train some more. The Army will require you to be nothing but the best at your job. Those guys in the tanks and on the ground will depend on you for their very lives.
Setting up equipment on the ground is common. Much of the equipment you'll use is on the ground.
As far as the 14J job description goes, here it is:

Major Duties: The early warning system operator supervises or serves as a member of a manual early warning network (MEWN) section, team, or platoon in operations and intelligence functions. Major duties for MOS 14J at each level or skill are:

Skill Levels
Skill Level 1 MOSC 14J1O. Detects, tracks and identifies aircraft, correlates tracks, and broadcasts early warning information. Operates and performs preventive maintenance checks and services on the team vehicles and power generation equipment. Performs operations and intelligence duties in Air Defense units. Performs map operations. Operates over radio nets.

Skill Level 2 MOSC 14J2O. Performs duties in preceding skill level, supervises lower grade soldiers and provides technical guidance to the soldiers in the accomplishment of their duties. Inventories and destroys classified material and performs security functions.

Skill Level 3 MOSC 14J3O. Performs duties in preceding skill levels, supervises the operation and organizational maintenance for air warning systems. Establishes, supervises and participates in unit level training for crew certification programs and Air Defense exercises. Performs intelligence duties and serves as unit liaison.

Skill Level 4 MOSC 14J4O. Performs duties in preceding skill levels. Supervises operations, and organizational maintenance for all air warning systems. Provides technical guidance to subordinate soldiers. Performs operations and intelligence duties at battalion and higher level. Directs, instructs and evaluates tactical operating procedures. Monitors unit equipment readiness and prepares monthly unit readiness reports (URRs). Trains, evaluates, and certifies air warning systems personnel at the unit/battalion level. Assists in supervising maintenance records and maintaining supportive stockage proce dures. Assist in designing and implementing the maintenance program.
Physical demands rating and qualifications for initial award of MOS. The early warning system operator must possess the following qualifications:

(1) Physical Demands Rating: very heavy

(2) Physical Profile: 222221

(3) Normal color vision

(4) Minimum score of 100 in aptitude area MM & GT.

(5) Security Clearance of SECRET.

(6) U.S. citizen.

(7) Formal training (completion of MOS 14J course conducted under the auspices of the U.S. Army Air Defense Artillery School) mandatory.

Enjoy :drill:

Thanks. I'm going to Ft Sill in a very short time then going to Bliss for AIT. Sounds like fun. I just worry that I might not take the job too seriously being as how our ground troops havnt had a problem with enemy air and I cant see it happening anywhere where our air is present. I guess scud missiles are something else though. Plus it sounds like the early warning system is pretty important in the event of any actual enemy invasion anywhere in the world. I'm sure i'll be fine :twisted:

Oh I believe you will take the job seriously. I explained how much the people on the ground will depend on how well you do your job. I don't know how more serious than that it can be. Remember that whatever job your doing, and whatever detail you might be tasked with, show a positive attitude and you'll be alright. Good luck.

Nice title

That is a great title, however thinking on what is going on in the world today, Iraq doesn't have many planes or aircraft. When I was in Iraq all you guys did was run remote control planes, pull guard duty and monitor the radio. On the positive you get a T.S. Depending. However as I said earlier, if you got a job where you don't do anything and you get deployed and they have no work for you, then expect stupid meaningless details like guard duty on a tower.

Back