So What Do You REALLY Think of us Canadians....??

CanadianCowgirl

I always wondered what people from different parts of the world thought of Canadians. Do you think Canada really has a culture, or are do you think we're just American "copycats"...? I don't want to fuel any fights, but I was just curious as to how the world viewed Canada and to see if anyone had any misconceptions about what it's like to be a Canadian.....

I really don't know what to think...I never hear anything about Canada. So I don't know...I guess heavily influenced by French culture...

^^^ I'm with Henderson here. I never hear much about Canada so I don't really have any opinion on y'all.

Good guys in the service.
Many people that have grown up in close contact with nature, weather it´d be the woods for hunting or the ski slopes, most canadians I have met have had some sort of connection to nature.

This reminds me of a joke about Canada (which is, indirectly, a backhanded-slap on the US).

Q: What's the real tragedy of Canada?

A: They could have had British culture, French food and American technology. They wound up with British food, French technology and American culture. :mrgreen:

-----

Seriously, though -- I may be a bit biased since I have family in Toronto, but my impression of Canada has always been more than just our neighbors to the north...maybe like the younger brother that we keep an eye out to make sure they don't get in trouble, yet we also benefit from their perspective and support.

They've always gotten a bad rap since they harbored the US's draft dodgers during the Vietnam era, but the reality is that they were a major player during World War II, they've been supporting the GWOT much more than we hear about, and they've had military personnel permanently stationed at NORAD for quite a while -- I don't think even Mexico has military personnel permanently assigned to NORAD.

Don't believe me? There's a reason I keep the Canadian memorial video on my MySpace page.

I always thought that only the east side of Canada was influenced by French. I remember a while back, they held an election to break away from the rest of the country.

I have worked with soldiers from Canada, and we have a friend of the family that is from Canada. Our neighbors to the north that know how to be great professionals.

They can also drink everyone in the states under the table. :D

They can also drink everyone in the states under the table. :D

Yep I've heard you're a lousy drinker... :sorry:

I see USA and Canada as I see the Scandinavian countries, we speak almost the same language, has almost the same culture and we travel with no passports and feel fine about it. But you are an American and a Canadian just as you are Norwegian and Swedish but the borders are blurred.

I think they're a bunch of naked tree-huggin coconut body cream wearing cowpolks, eh.

haha, well I'm not overly sure about the tree-huggin part, lol

:p As for the whole East side having French culture, that's probably more of a judgement call Only one province is considered 100% billingual out of all of Canada, and that's New Brunswick. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland don't really have much French influence...or at least not nearly as much as NB

never thought much about them until I got IM then most are very rude people i have spoken too, end up uninstalling it :-(

Well I think they're people just like any other. They have their good and bad. I have trained with the Canadian Forces and had many a French Canadian friend while growing up. In fact, there's a neighborhood in the town I used to live in called "Little Canada" and I remember stopping at my favorite coffee shop each morning in which only French was spoken and with with an unmistakable Canadian accent. Good people, all things considered equal.

One thing I notice throughout the different provinces, is that the smaller towns and provinces are very friendly. A lot of places I've been, everyone waves to everyone else, even if they don't know each other. They also don't mind striking up a conversation with a complete stranger....it's a nice feeling when you're away from home

ajchenmph i agree with you. I live in buffalo NY, so i go up to canada like every other weekend for one reason or another. you guys arent too bad in my book. (much better than mexico) I think of canada like a little brother. cool, but kinda glad i dont have to put up with you all the time. your border patrol people are fun to.

I've been to Canada acted like a drunk American ass (thought that's what we are supposed to do)....The bars limit your the content of booze in your drinks (this I dont like)...The girls are hot and smell good, the guys smell like butt...

They love American Cigs (almost started a fight over a Marlboro Red, I was told to bring those...lol)

Um they are cool it's Canada they like snow and the woods are funny and well the they are like USAs' lil bro (or sis)....

I think Canadians rule but when all else fails, blame Canada....ha ;)

Too passive and cheerful, sometimes I wonder if you guys would even blink if I punched your mom in the stomach right in front of you.

I've only ever met a handful of Canadians and found them to be just like Aussies (you can take that how you like:peace:) with badly done American accents:lol:.

As for the French problem, I'll reserve my judgement.

Back