SO YOU THINK DEPLETED URANIUM ISN'T HARMFUL

We could make the same comments on small nukes also. Militarily effective, but....

Yes, and an M-4.
Stand infront of a man willing to use it covered in theraputicclay all you want.
And a Glock, and an AK and a....

Weapons are dangerous.
Point taken if that was your point?

I don´t think civilians care if they are killed by a random bullet or a DU round.
You know...After the fact it is a rather moot point..

//KJ.

Yes, and an M-4.
Stand infront of a man willing to use it covered in theraputicclay all you want.
And a Glock, and an AK and a....

Weapons are dangerous.
Point taken if that was your point?

I don´t think civilians care if they are killed by a random bullet or a DU round.
You know...After the fact it is a rather moot point..

//KJ.
well, duh on getting hit. The point of the guys post is how many of our guys & inhabitants will die from inhaling the micro particles that have a radioactive half life of how long? decades?, centuries? Not @ all a problem with Glocks or AKs, or a sherman tank.

I have to tell you that you guys scare me as it would seem that you have no respect for the sacredness of life necessary to have a healthy society. I am scared to death that you guys will be the ones coming to my house whem martial law is declared.

LMAO like I said in another post get off the meth. Nobody on here is stupid enough to think that DU is harmless, were all either adults or close enough for govt work.
As for them coming to your house during the up and coming martial law, its not anybody from this board you need to worry about.

You said:

Well, basicly it is stuff like this that bothers me. Since bush have been in office he has dimantled our constituion and take our civil liberties via executive orders(most people do not know this)checkout Rex 84 and the FEMA camps. Obama is no better he will bring down our economy(as the U.S. dollar has one foot in the grave and the other on a bananna peel). Is it possible to print anymore money? So you really don't think I have to worry? How come we have so many NATO troops in our country. I thought we were a soveigern country.

Neither man has done anything to dismantle the constitution.
You might want to be careful of what you say on here, this board DOES support the military, the Constitution, and the troops, and some of us are willing to die for those.

Last edited:
well, duh on getting hit. The point of the guys post is how many of our guys & inhabitants will die from inhaling the micro particles that have a radioactive half life of how long? decades?, centuries? Not @ all a problem with Glocks or AKs, or a sherman tank.

No?
Lead poisoning anyone?

The sherman tank can probably rust and have a long term effect on the enviroment in some way.
And I bet one could find a scientist willing to write an article about it too.

The point he is making isn´t a point really.
It WAS when people were less cautious around used DU rounds.
Now with new protection/SOP,s in place, not so much.

//KJ.

-snip- ...the micro particles that have a radioactive half life of how long? decades?, centuries? ...-snip-
Actually, half life of DU IIRC is something in the 4.5 billions of years range, i.e. 4.500 Millions of years).

That would make it about 45 millions of your estimated centuries - or, to put it into perspective, roughly the time our universe has been present since the big bang...

That is for *half* radiation... Double current universe life time for quarter radioactivity, etc...

I am not sure we should set free (and less nano!) particles with such long lasting impact, we have no idea what will be right/wrong in 2000 and less in 200.000 yrs from now, when they will still be present, radiating and deadly. Irresponsible per definition, my take.

Rattler

Last edited:
"I in no way want to anger, demean, alienate, or cause controversey. I am a person who is concerned that a lot of powerful instituions do not have humanities best interests at heart"

You don't want to cause controversy, so you come to a website called "Military-Quotes" and post a bunch of anti-military threads? Yeah, that's a good way to avoid controversy.
And then you cut and paste a bunch of propaganda which is weak on facts to support your arguments? Not a very effective way to "convince" anybody of anything.
BTW, I think you probably mean "humanity's best interests".

The funny thing about elements with the extremely long half-lives is that the longer the half-life, the less radioactivity it produces per time period. The ones with shorter half-lives can emit all their radioactivity in seconds or minutes or days, etc.

I am liking the intellegince shown here. The big bang was somewhere around 13.7 billion years ago. I highly sugguest the guys reading these nonesense articles dig into how these rounds are made to protect the troops.

I dont think the question was whether DU was dangerous per se, any weapon is by difinition dangerous. I think the question was that DU was dangerous to the side that that uses it and bystanders like civilians...

And while thats certainly true, but DU is hardly the first weapon that comes with inherit risks to the operator. For example, thousands of soldiers got gassed by their own artillery in WWI and the Army discovered that wind doesnt always blow in the same direction. And that fact did not stop the armies from using posion gas, chemical weapons are still part of military inventories today. So the situation with DU is not anything new.

I am liking the intellegince shown here. The big bang was somewhere around 13.7 billion years ago. I highly sugguest the guys reading these nonesense articles dig into how these rounds are made to protect the troops.

I guess you are refering to me saying 4.5. Sorry, I stand corrected, you are right, that is the assumed time universe exists indeed.

JFTR, though, my error AFAISI has nothing to do with intelligence (or lack of), when I did my classes 40 yrs ago common scientifical knowledge had the number I quoted from memory, and even with that triple time it does not really substantially change my argument: Releasing stuff with 4.5 billion of years half time might (just might!, we can discuss it in 9.2 billion yrs again...) not be a really intelligent strategy.

Rattler

My post was intended as a compliment. I was drunk so it might not had been worded properly. No insult intended.

Last edited:
To use DU or not to use DU...I submitt that when a column of T72, T64's BMP's and BRDM's are rolling up on you ....ala Khafji...

You won't give two sh*ts about enviromental concerns possible health concerns of follow on troops or even yourself.

You want the bad guys dead and unthreatening and DU will do that. So preach to the patrol leaders and see how far yoy get.

BTDT....AND I'd use it again......fark it.

To use DU or not to use DU...I submitt that when a column of T72, T64's BMP's and BRDM's are rolling up on you ....ala Khafji...

You won't give two sh*ts about enviromental concerns possible health concerns of follow on troops or even yourself.

You want the bad guys dead and unthreatening and DU will do that. So preach to the patrol leaders and see how far yoy get.

BTDT....AND I'd use it again......fark it.

...................yep

My friend who was on an Abrams crew said that it's like getting an X-ray every time you open the ammo box. I hope he was exaggerating.

I wonder if DU is really necessary, I'd have thought a tungsten penetrator would do the same thing.

DU is used for a lot of things, back in the 80's I was involved as an Navy FAA inspector at a A-7 crash site, we couldn't touch the wing counterweights because they were DU.DU is used for a lot of things both that we know of and don't know of because its cheap, and thats one way of making it disappear from the NRC inventory inventory

Back