So you think you aren't a Republican?

I believe this may be a biblical quote of sorts.

Give me a fish and you will feed me for a day. (AKA government handout) Teach me to fish and you will feed me for a lifetime. (AKA a job.)

Yes, rich people are greedy, they became rich by being greedy. You know what they will do if you give them a tax cut? Expand their business, creating more jobs, and making more money for themselves as well as those that they gave jobs.

I don't mind people getting richer then others, that is the way the world turns. But IMO you step over the people who can't fend for themselves. I'm not talking lazy bums, but people who are truly in need of aid.

You can let them rot and say..... should have worked harder, byt then you miss a few things. If you combine the reward of hard work with the help for the truly needy then you start to get a system. It is wrong to make it onesided either way!

Sigh Ted, I agree with you. Im not for Universial healthcare, but I do beleive every American citizen (not pesky illegals) regardless of economic status should be able to attend a good college. Do this then no one can say they didnt have a chance to suceed

In my family, the subject of College wasn't even discussed. We weren't dirt poor because we had to look up out of a hole to see the dirt. My Father did the best he could with no education. A lot of his generation were hit hard during the depression and there were no social programs. Now, before anyone gets the idea that this is a pity party with me as the honored guest, I knew that there was only one way to go, the Service. I've posted before why I joined at 17 years old because I was smart enough to recognize there were more kids than money. Dad was knocking down a cool $400.00 per week and there were four of us. Then, rather than see my Niece and Nephew go to an orphanage, Mom and Dad took them in. It's sort of like serial memory in a computer, if the chip is full and you load another bit in the front, a bit is shifted out at the output.

Now, that was the best shot I had and I took it and much to my surprise, I found a home. Three meals a day, enough clothes for three people, and not only two pairs of boots, but a pair of shoes. But, best of all, my own bed. The first time in my life that I had Life and Medical insurance, all this for free. The first thing I did was fill out an allotment for Mom and Dad which was a Godsend for them.

I tested and received a GED after having to study pretty hard because we moved so much, I was behind in every subject. After my three years of Service, I went to Community College first then on to University of Texas Arlington and then to UT Dallas because of the better Electronics department. I finished at night because I got a day job and could quit one of my part time jobs.

Now, I sometimes think that I make an obscene salary in these, my later years. But, I could have given up back in 1962 and went to work for a sawmill at 90 cents an hour but something told me that I'd better take
that walk into town to the Recruiter. I have never regretted that decision.
Anyone who is healthy in mind and body can go to College these days. They may have to work two jobs like I did while I was in the Army and when I got out. I even had my own contracting business until about five years ago and taxes started to eat my profit.

The thing is, in a this free Country, which I love deeply, you can do and be anything you choose if you meet the health issues I mentioned, and now, industry is changing to meet the needs of handicapped who would not have had a chance in life when I was young. I didn't "pull myself by my bootstraps" because I had the help of others along the way.

Damien435

As I mentioned before, many of those who do get assistence already have jobs. Nobody is saying that the government needs to give to lazy people. But the often repeated anology that those that are poor are lazy and its their own fault is simply a myth orchestrated by those who have no intention of giving up any part of the pie. I think Missileers story proves that. All the left is saying is to help these individuals who need it, and to level the playing field so that those who want a better life can get it if they choose. This was once known as the 'American Dream', unfortunatly uncontrolled capitalism has wrecked it.

Economics 101, Market economies grow by the spending of middle class, thats why the consumer spending index is so important. Your're right, most Rich people (I'm talking the Billionaires) are greedy, and greedy people DON'T SHARE, (hint: thats why they are called greedy ;) ). They also dont buy anything. When they get a free lunch (cause thats what a taxcut to the wealthy is) they either stick it under a mattrass or invest it in the stock or bond market. In either case that money is not circulating in the economy other than artificially inflate the stock market (market bubbles). And thats why trickle down economics never works.

The economy had its own ebbs and flows, while policy can effect it can never fully control it. One such strategy to jump start an economy is to lower taxes not to the wealthy, but to the middle class. Middle class people have little in terms of investments or savings but they do go out and buy frigerators, ipods and Xbox 360's. Thus allowing business to grow.

Rabs

Im actually in the US right now, but you all know I work abroad. France has a Universal Healthcare system, it is hands down better than any HMO here. The comparison from a consumer standpoint is night and day. The only catch is that its sometimes abused and its not cheap, but it diffenatly worth it.

I agree with you last point, most studies point to lack of education as a prime reason for poverty. You educate your population, you willl solve the poverty problem to boot.

Last edited:
mmarsh said:
Damien435

Economics 101, Market economies grow by the spending of middle class, thats why the consumer spending index is so important. Your're right, most Rich people (I'm talking the Billionaires) are greedy, and greedy people DON'T SHARE, (hint: thats why they are called greedy ;) ). They also dont buy anything. When they get a free lunch (cause thats what a taxcut to the wealthy is) they either stick it under a mattrass or invest it in the stock or bond market. In either case that money is not circulating in the economy other than artificially inflate the stock market (market bubbles). And thats why trickle down economics never works.

I have to differ with you about all billionaires not circulating cash in the economy. Look at people like Gates, he has a huge employee base from which other smaller employers hire employees. To make money, you have to spend money. Sam Walton would have still been in Arkansas running a grocery store had he just invested in lower paying stocks and bonds. Re-investing in your business grows that business which employs people who spend money and the economy strengthens, at the same time the original source, the rich guy, makes more than he could with stocks and bonds which he only has to claim as income instead of writing off re-investing in their business.

Back