So things are going great in Afghanistan?

Slip sliding away...

I wondered with all the effort being poured into Iraq how long it would be before Afghanistan went tits up AGAIN. And we have to worry about Iran now too... this is one huge Charlie Foxtrot.

This is nothing new. We've seen the major increase in Taliban and Al'Qaeda activities within just the past few months, but it's always like that in the spring/summer. Many are getting back from their trips to Iraq and are now employing the TTPs they've learned there. IEDs are quickly becoming the order of the hour.

As far as the US goes, at this time, US SOF are about the only ones going on the offensive, everyone else is hanging back for the most part. The same goes for the rest of the CF there. Very few within ISAF are going hunting.

The security along the Paki border is another problem, they're filtering in from Pakistan.

We're not using the locals to our advantage anymore, and this is allowing these groups to get a foothold in certain regions.

bulldogg said:
Your last point is pretty serious in my opinion.

It is, but on the same hand, it is nothing that couldn't be remedied by a few changes, more manpower and the right tools. "Loose foothold" would be a more appropriate term.

SOF teams are getting 75% of the actionable intelligence themselves and conducting 90% of the effective operations, and there's just not enough guys to cover all areas.

Having been on the ground yourself would you agree with a claim that the vast majority of Afghani's do not want the Taliban back?

Politicians and the news keep saying that reconstruction and freedom are doing great in Afghanistan. While I can swallow the latter, I haven't seen a single picture of video showing some modern stuff being built or sold in Afghanistan. So until I see a shred of evidence, it's all lies to me.

PJ24

Explain something time, there has been a long standing row about not sending in enough troops to Iraq, but I always thought we didnt send enough to Afghanistan as well. I mean we have approximatly 12000 troops including other countries for a country almost the size of California with some of the most inhospitable terrain apart from antartica. Now we are hearing all these reports about the Taliban-al-Qaida re-emerging do you think we need more boot in Afganistan? Personally Im more worry about Afganistan than Iraq.

bulldogg said:
Having been on the ground yourself would you agree with a claim that the vast majority of Afghani's do not want the Taliban back?

Yeah, I would agree with that. Most aren't too fond of the Pakistanis either. They know the border is open, and they know that Pakistan has their hand in the cookie jar too.

mmarsh said:
Explain something time, there has been a long standing row about not sending in enough troops to Iraq, but I always thought we didnt send enough to Afghanistan as well. I mean we have approximatly 12000 troops including other countries for a country almost the size of California with some of the most inhospitable terrain apart from antartica. Now we are hearing all these reports about the Taliban-al-Qaida re-emerging do you think we need more boot in Afganistan? Personally Im more worry about Afganistan than Iraq.

I don't think the problem was not sending enough troops to Afghanistan, it was removing too many SOF assets at one time. It is difficult to manage Afghanistan with conventional forces, not because light infantry can't do the job, but because they're bogged down with a lot of red tape and micromanaging from their commands.

As for if we need more boots on the ground now, definitely. Things aren't horrible in Afghanistan right now, but they have the potential to spiral downward unless we can stomp the little fires as they are lit. As it stands, we just don't have enough guys to do that right now.

mmarsh said:
I mean we have approximatly 12000 troops including other countries

I meant to address this in my other post, but forgot. There's actually a bit more than that. Current ANA strength is around 21K, ISAF is about 10K and US forces are around 18K.

The problem, again, is that most are conventional.

PJ24 said:
I meant to address this in my other post, but forgot. There's actually a bit more than that. Current ANA strength is around 21K, ISAF is about 10K and US forces are around 18K.

The problem, again, is that most are conventional.
Is ISAF countrywide? I know they're at least in Kabul, Kunduz and Mazar-e-Sharif.

if you were going to pick a place not to fight a war afghanistan would probably by first choice, i think the taliaban are gaining confidence because they know sooner or late the allies will decide its not worth the effort and leave. just like the russians did and the british before them and so on back thru history.

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
Is ISAF countrywide? I know they're at least in Kabul, Kunduz and Mazar-e-Sharif.

Yeah, PRTs (Provincial Reconstruction Teams) are in about 10 provinces. It used to be that everyone was off doing their own thing, but over the past couple of years cooperation and communication has improved tremendously so that's made them more effective within their scope.

Strongbow said:
Do you believe the Taliban are now gaining in confidence?

They do every spring. There's always a spring offensive, but it's been worse this year. With many of the Taliban leaders returning from their stints in Iraq with the insurgency, they've got a whole new bag of tricks (TTPs) to use. What they've learned in Iraq has allowed them to rack up a few casualties that have in turn, given them more confidence so they're starting to get more brazen.

They have also jumped on our complacency. There are only a few areas and groups that have teeth right now, meaning they're going out, getting intel and acting on it. Everyone else is reactionary, meaning they aren't actively seeking the bad guys before they hit.

bush musketeer said:
if you were going to pick a place not to fight a war afghanistan would probably by first choice, i think the taliaban are gaining confidence because they know sooner or late the allies will decide its not worth the effort and leave. just like the russians did and the british before them and so on back thru history.

Canada won't be leaving any time soon. :bravo:

Back