So sad......

AussieArmyWife

Hi all, just thought I would share a bit of sad news we recieved yesterday. Im not sure if you already know as Its been all over the news. John came home yesterday from work (yes it was saturday but he had to go and help set up tents and seating platforms for a parade on monday.) and he told me that everyone at work was in complete shock over another accidental death of a 3RAR member.

About a month ago john had to do his first discharge of a dead soldier, after a member of 3RAR was killed in a motorbike accident on the way to work. But yesterday they recieved word that a young guy from their corp that was over in Iraq accidently shot himself in the head. He had only been there about a month, and aparently he was cleaning or doing some work on his weapon in his barracks when it went off, and got himself in the head. Its very sad, as it was his first deployment and he has left behind a young wife and two very small sons. :(

So john has to discharge another member for "deceased". He says its awful to do as it feels so cold and impersonal having to do the paperwork. And everything is so final. But he trys very hard to claim the members family every bit of money they are entilted to, and hopes that in someway that will help a bit. He says its tough to see the other guys around the place so so upset. Its hard for the guys in admin as they never get to meet or get to know any of the guys outside of the office, so it makes it hard to connect with those who have lost a mate.

I just wanted to let you all know, and to say if anyone knew him Im very sorry for your loss! And my best wishes go out to his mates and his family.

The pain DOES lessen ...

I know how he feels ... it can be even more traumatic if the individual that was killed was one of your running mates. I had the misfortune of having to accompany one of my best friends to his home after he had been killed by a drunk driver. I arrived at the funeral home only to discover that the entire family (including his fiancee), were already sitting "Shiva" for him (I'm not Jewish but he was). When his little sister (six or so), came up to me and asked where her brother was ... I can tell you it was all I could do to hold it together (I was in uniform and she knew her brother was also).

So keep it together ... it doesn't get any easier when there are other deaths of friends and fellow warriors.

I commiserate with you, the family and friends of this young man ... it is especially hard when death comes to someone who is so young.

Extend my sorrow and best wishes to friends and family. The pain DOES lessen.

Because it was an accident makes it that much more tragic.
Our prayers go out to his wife and children.
I believe the RAAF are flying the body home today.

Hi again all, I have an update on the situation. My heart goes out to Pte Kovco's family and friends today as we have learned that this morning his body was to arrive in Melb, to only find that someone elses body was delivered instead. Aparently there was a stuff up in Kuwait and his body is still over there. Very upseting for them Im sure, I did hear that the PM called his widow and told her the news only minutes before she was to board a plane to Melb to retreive the body. And as she shoukld she gave him a real serve!!

Other news is now emerging, mostly rumour and non-official reports that he in fact committed suicide. The roumor was going around out at base when we first heard about the incident. But now the news has been broadcasting that no evidence was found that he was cleaning his weapon and reports from people trainined to use 9ml guns that its very unlikely that a 9ml would discharge by itself when cleaning or taking it apart.

I dont know much about that side of things, but I dont think it changes the situation. I cant help feeling that these reports are going to be made or even used as a smear campain again by those people out there who are against the war in Iraq and dont believe we should be there. I cant imagine how his wife, children and parents are feeling right now. I just hope they get his body home soon so his family can begin to grieve.

Back