So, our dog got ahold of a possum last night...

jillyz12

It happened in our backyard around 9pm. My sister knew something was hiding in one of the bushes back there, and of course our dog Kirby didn't want to come inside while it was out there. Jan finally got Kirby in, but he drove her crazy, wanting back out. So this time she went with him, but now the possum was walking along the top of our fence. So Kirby calmly stood on his back legs, grabbed the possum's tail and pulled him off the fence. Apparently, the possum was not amused. But it could have ended a lot worse. I know they can be quite nasty, and they've got some hellacious teeth! Jan got Kirb inside right away and Petey Possum made his escape.

I was wondering if anyone here knows any tricks for keeping potentially dangerous animals like possum out of a yard. Because we also have a raccoon living in the sewer in front of our house and that critter is big. MUTANT big!!!! I think he's smart enough to keep his distance, though. Thank God....we would NOT want Kirby to tangle with that bruiser! So, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, folks!

You have a lucky dog, those possums tend to fight back.
Sorry I haven't a solution to your problem, I know exactly how it feels to be surprised by one. A few years ago one almost got me as I was dropping my garbage.... wow.... what a surprise that was... shut that lid quick and let my son handle it from there...Good luck

Your dog should be fully able to take a possum, or at least scare it away. If not you could try poisoning it but as far as across the board deterrents go I think it may be hard. Other then that you could shoot it?

It happened in our backyard around 9pm. My sister knew something was hiding in one of the bushes back there, and of course our dog Kirby didn't want to come inside while it was out there. Jan finally got Kirby in, but he drove her crazy, wanting back out. So this time she went with him, but now the possum was walking along the top of our fence. So Kirby calmly stood on his back legs, grabbed the possum's tail and pulled him off the fence. Apparently, the possum was not amused. But it could have ended a lot worse. I know they can be quite nasty, and they've got some hellacious teeth! Jan got Kirb inside right away and Petey Possum made his escape.

I was wondering if anyone here knows any tricks for keeping potentially dangerous animals like possum out of a yard. Because we also have a raccoon living in the sewer in front of our house and that critter is big. MUTANT big!!!! I think he's smart enough to keep his distance, though. Thank God....we would NOT want Kirby to tangle with that bruiser! So, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, folks!

A friend of mine runs this place in California she recommended reading the following to see if it was of use...

http://yuwr.org/faqs/

However as a Kiwi I am with Headwards just shoot the damn thing and your problem is solved long term.

This reminds me of a Radio DJ in CA a few years back.. He was from NY City and had recently moved to a LA suburb. Some squirrels got into his attic and he went on for days (on air) about how terrified he was for himself and his family. He actually abandoned his house until exterminators could remove the squirrels.

This is a prime example of how much distance there is between “city” folk and the rest of us. Giving up your house to a squirrel? What a joke!

Despite their imposing teeth possums are really pretty benign creatures, they are not aggressive and will retreat given any chance. They are noted for their defense of “playing dead” when threatened, they will lay in a ball and not respond to provocation until it is safe to retire. Don’t leave pet food outside overnight and the possum shouldn’t be a problem.

Both animals become familiar with humans and our pets rapidly. Raccoons are highly intelligent and can be aggressive. They have great dexterity and can open trash cans, containers and cupboards. They can also carry diseases, more so than possums, and should be discouraged from staying around.

I, from experience, don't recommend poison. The animales can get into an attic, under the house, or in a wall space. When they die there you have a very great problem.

Is it one of those white possums with a hairless tail and red eyes? I saw some like that in Florida and they were excessively creepy and bold.

It isnt too hard to make a possum trap if you dont want to kill it- just get rid of it by driving it far away and releasing it. A simple pressure plate in a box with some bait will work if it is bold enough. Something along the lines of a tilting board with a sinker wedged under one side of the board attached to fishing wire holding the (heavy) door open was what I used to use when I lived on the farm as a hobby.
Also if you want your dog to get confident at pest destruction you could wound the possum or tie it up and let the dog finish it off? May backfire if it has rabies however, and may seem a bit cruel.
Possums like peanut butter and stuff like that from memory.
Smoking the trap to get the human smell off it once your ready to set it may help, depends how much time you have to spend on it and im not 100% on whether it works.
it sounds like your possum is fearless to take on a dog though!

Muscogeemike makes a really good point about the poison idea, probably should scrap it.
I used to love making bows and arrows and hunting pests when I was young, bamboo and shoelaces will work if you dont have a rifle.
Either way I think we can all agree it is high time for you to declare war on these creatures and take no prisoners.

Back