So i just officialy signed my life away!

PVT Solares

I am 19 years old as of November 11 2008. And i leave to For Benning for basic training Jan 21st, cause my braces dont get removed till Jan 15.

i am 11x infantry airborne.

Did i make the right decision....you know...the whole joining the army thing?
I wanna join SWAT or just become a plain police officer and i cant til im at least 21 years old. when im done serving ill be like 22, but with army experience by my side as well. Im hoping that the army will look really good on my resume and help me become a police officer.

I figure by the time im 22, ill be fit, tough, and mentally ready for police action.

Ill be studying as well, i already have some college credits and i want to get my associates.

You think i made a good decision?:salute:

(reason why i wanted airborne was becuse when i chose to be infantry, my recruiter said, Hey on top of that you can also do airborne, and im like....you know what...i have always wanted to jump off planes....lol OK! sign me up.)

I have no regrets joining the army, my family is with me 100% and they are very proud of me. Alot of my family joined as well.

Sorry for any messed up grammar and bad spelling.

Definitely a great decision, congratulations! Looks like you've planned it all very well. Wish you the best of luck. Please do prioritize your education, try to aim for a bachelor's degree. It'll be worth overcoming a few extra difficulties.

Definitely a great decision, congratulations! Looks like you've planned it all very well. Wish you the best of luck. Please do prioritize your education, try to aim for a bachelor's degree. It'll be worth overcoming a few extra difficulties.

i will :) Thank you!

maybe i'll continue my education in NYU cause i may get my police job over there. I was born in NY but i live here in Arizona. But i also cant leave my only family i got here in AZ, its just me my lil sis and my mom. the rest of my fam lives in NY. I'll feel kinda bad.

I think he is a bit young... I wish the army kept young men like you in a reserve to let the battles to the older men who have steadier hands...

Anyway, learn fast... You have a huge opportunity to learn a lot and to become a strong man... And I'm not talking about muscles.

Never forget one simple thing. Whatver what you will have to do in life, whatever the objectives, there is method to reach it.

Think carefully, think about what you have to do, and what you will need to do it safely. Never dismiss your safety or the safety of your fellow soldiers. Give yourself the means to succeed.

thanks guys.

Ya im young. But im very mature for my age. I dont act like any of the friends i hang out with.

Im open minded and think outside the box. Im not going to be like alot of the young kids i hear about in the military causing trouble and whatnot.

I wanted to start as early as i could becuase theres nothing like becoming something i have always wanted to do for the rest of my life and still seeing the same friends that said i couldnt do it still working at Target as a cart attendent and have not taking any steps towards their future.

I just wanna go up to then years from now and say.....*nods head up and then brings it back down* "And what...". haha.

Man.... It feels great. And if i die, god forbid, i die in a blaze of glory. IM not afraid.

Take each and every school they offer, apply for any and all schools you can, receive as must training as possible in every aspect of military, keep your head on a swivel at all times either in combat or the mall, be totally aware of your soundings at all times.
By loyal to your God and your country, and befor eyou know it you'll be changeing your name to SGT Solares :)

Congratulations PVT Solares, I think you made a wise choice.
but my retired self is still a little too loyal :):salute2:

I think he is a bit young... I wish the army kept young men like you in a reserve to let the battles to the older men who have steadier hands...

Enter my 14 year old who can drop a moving deer at 350 meters with a 30/30, and no scope, lets talk steady hand :)
Age nas nothing to do with it, skill has everything to do with it.
hence "train well, fight well"

19 isent young. the experienced soldiers who are 23 lets say, got expereinced because they served from 18 years old.

oh, PVT Solares...Always keep your helmet on tight and your flak-jacket well fitted. free tip for a long life with all your inner parts:)

Enter my 14 year old who can drop a moving deer at 350 meters with a 30/30, and no scope, lets talk steady hand :smile:

Deer not shoot back, grasshoper:)

Last edited:
19 isn't young. the experienced soldiers who are 23 lets say, got experienced because they served from 18 years old.

oh, PVT Solares...Always keep your helmet on tight and your flak-jacket well fitted. free tip for a long life with all your inner parts:)

Deer not shoot back, grasshopper:)

I never said deer don't shoot back, I was implying that being young or old makes little difference to a steady aim. I hope deer never shoot back, tracking my food is one thing, being in a firefight with my food would be totally screwed up.
trust me Grasshopper, I know all too well how good a shot a young person can be.

Wolfen, I get your point. And Sherman is absolutely right too.

But a steady hand goes with a steady mind... I dont mean a steady hand to hold a gun. But we cant compare the mind of a grown up man and the mind of a a very young man who was a small boy some years ago...

I think that if a country got experienced men (in life), they should keep their youth safe and let the war for men who have more experience in life...

You have to be aware that these kids will face the horrors of battle. That they will be carrying guns and also carrying the power of life and death...

It's very serious... And today, we are at war with terrorism. And it's a battle that needs a lot of discipline, intelligence and education...

I think that the army should provide physical training... And then, send them to learn about the history of the concerned areas... cultural training, language training, intelligence gathering training Etc etc...

Aiming and pushing a trigger is very important for a soldier, but we wont win any war with just that.
Any kid can carry a gun... Any kid can kill... There is 6 year old kids who can carry guns... and in Africa, some kids do... But it takes educated grown men to solve problems...

Anyway Solares. I wish you good luck. And yeah, you did a good decision. It's a time where brave men like you are needed. You joined in a time of war, and it brings honour on you.

The problem is that it's only when those "educated" men fail miserably at making peace that the the young men must be called upon to stand tall and succeed at war.

OK? How about "failure is not an option"? Everyone can't fail, someone has to succeed in order for another to fail. This convo is getting a little too philosophical :lol:

PVT Solares, congratulations on your decision and I wish you the best in your military endeavor. Whether you stay for a short stint or make a career out of it, one thing is certain. You won't come out the same way you went in. One more thing, welcome to the brotherhood of Infantrymen.

Last edited:

But a steady hand goes with a steady mind... I dont mean a steady hand to hold a gun. But we cant compare the mind of a grown up man and the mind of a a very young man who was a small boy some years ago...

I think that if a country got experienced men (in life), they should keep their youth safe and let the war for men who have more experience in life...

You have to be aware that these kids will face the horrors of battle. That they will be carrying guns and also carrying the power of life and death...

It's very serious... And today, we are at war with terrorism. And it's a battle that needs a lot of discipline, intelligence and education...

I think that the army should provide physical training... And then, send them to learn about the history of the concerned areas... cultural training, language training, intelligence gathering training Etc etc...

Aiming and pushing a trigger is very important for a soldier, but we wont win any war with just that.
Any kid can carry a gun... Any kid can kill... There is 6 year old kids who can carry guns... and in Africa, some kids do... But it takes educated grown men to solve problems...

Anyway Solares. I wish you good luck. And yeah, you did a good decision. It's a time where brave men like you are needed. You joined in a time of war, and it brings honour on you.

Everything you just mentioned boils down to training, here in the US military that very thing has gone to hell in a hand basket, when I first joined we were trained under fire how to distinguish friend from foe. I talk to soldiers today that come ouut of basic and I honestly believe that most of them are doomed if they don;t recieve further training, I have offered my services many time s to train people, but all I ever get told is enjoy my retirement. But every now and then one emerges that is barely 18, has a stedy hand, and a good eye, along with mental disapline to be better than the average soldies.

However as patton said, you don't win a war by dieing for your country.

I congratulate you on your decision to serve your country.
I was a tanker and can think of nothing nice to say about infantry. ;).
I am sure that they fell the same about us tankers.
The simple fact of the matter is that you have decided to place the well being of the country ahead of your own. Thank you for that.

Trust your NCO's.
A simple rule to remember...
Officers worry about the what...
NCO's determine the how.

And now let me address our French Ally.

Cultural, Intelligence and Language training is great...
For Officers.

I can;t tell you how much time is eaten up now by endless training and briefing classes. I need more time to conduct PMCS, officers told me to use SGTs time for maintentance. Had a few words for him. Whatever happened to good, honest, RELEVANT training. Too much time is spent being PC and worrying about paperwork.

Sigh....

Sorry getting off topic.

Kid. Enjoy your time, learn all that you can. Apply for every school the army offers. Air Assault, NBC, Unit Armorer, you name it. It will be worth promotion points. Don;t forget about correspondance courses. They are worth promotion and retirement points. ($). If you can get the Army to pay for a class, take it. Don;t be afraid to ask questions either. Use your NCO's.

You know HokieSMG, I saw some videos about the war in Iraq at the beginning of the war. And we could see the US soldiers at check points rising their hands to sign the civilian cars to stop...

Guess what? rising your hand doesnt mean anything for most of the Iraqis... It could mean "hello" or "welcome"... But it doesnt mean stop...

The sign the iraqis use to ask people to stop or to wait is to put your fingers toward the sky and group them...

You see? this is just an extremely simple cultural aspect the soldiers have to know if they want to ask people to slow down or to stop in check points...

And I'm sure that there is thousands of other details like that I dont know about...

when it comes to battle... Good officers and disciplined soldiers is enough... But here, they have to fight terrorism. They will be dealing with extremely complex situations.

Anyway, It's just my opinion... I know that providing language and cultural training to these kids may cost a lot of money...
But how much money will it cost? really! 10 billions to train 10.000 soldiers? 1 million dollar each if the maths is correct...
Then think about how Iraq would be with 10.000 soldiers with good cultural training... 10.000 soldiers making friends with Baghdad's people...

I'm sorry, but looking at the cost of the war... This would be the most effective weapon on the field...

Back