So Far From the Bamboo Grove

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0688131158/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Basically it's a list of no nos of books. I read this back when I was in middle school and it's basically a story of an 11 year old girl who is escaping from northern Korea (which is referred inaccurately as North Korea since it took place in 1945 and the separation took place after the Japanese had long left).
In the story, most Koreans are blood thirsty killers who want all Japanese people dead but offers no explanation as to why this is so. A few Koreans are seen as "nice" Koreans (also read collaborators).
The book's details may be accurate but it leaves a lot of things out that paints a very inaccurate picture.
First off, it turns out the author's father was a government official in either northern Korea or in Manchuria obviously representing the Empire of Japan. It is no wonder that they were marked for death.

But Korea is a land too far away for some people to make any sense of so let's put it in a more familiar turf.
This story is very much like a story of a Nazi government official's daughter's escape from a newly liberated France. Harrowing experience? I bet it was. Did the French want her dead? For a very good reason, yes.

Personally, I can't believe that this sort of book was able to get in the hands of American schools.

It's like this one time this girl said, "Koreans sided with the Japanese." This may be so in some cases but then you could also say that the Dutch, the French, the Jews, the Belgians, the Poles and a lot of other people I have forgotten about were on the side of the Nazis.

Bad book.
If you see it in your school, educate your teacher about it.

yeah heard about this, there was an uproar while back where a korean parent denied their child to read it and it was mandatory for their school.. this book is like the diary of anna frank, except the jews were the 'bad' and the germans were the 'good'... lol

Back