Sniper shot that took out an insurgent killer from three quarters of a mile - Page 2

--

January 7th, 2006  
bulldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis Trooper
When I was skimming the forum, I was thinking of seeing some unbelievable stuff, but this guy is legendary. It reminds me of the time my uncles friend shot a cow from half a Kilometer away, get this, with a musket.
Poor cow.
January 15th, 2006  
UBIQUE

What is really impressive about this shot is that it was done with a .308 not a 50cal, now that's skill.
January 16th, 2006  
headspace

^^^ I thought that.

I also thought how glad i was that I invested properly in a Leupold & Stevens scope. It was difficult to find, but worth it.

I can't imagine the skill it takes to make windage and elevation adjustments during a fire fight. I suspect it becomes a "flow" moment - i.e. just natural.
--
January 19th, 2006  
CanadianCombat

Thats pretty amazimg but its not the farthest kill, I'm sure everyone allready knew that.The Top three longest kills are made by two Canadians and an American Marine.
August 7, 2002; A Canadian sniper in Afghanistan has been confirmed as hitting an enemy soldier at a range of 2,310 meters, the longest recorded and confirmed sniper shot in history. The previous record of 2,250 meters was set by US Marine sniper Carlos Hathcock in Vietnam in 1967. The Canadian sniper was at an altitude of 8,500 feet and the target, across a valley, was at 9,000 feet. Canadian sniper units often operated in support of US infantry units, which were grateful for their help. The record lasted only one day, until a second Canadian sniper hit an enemy soldier at 2,400 meters. The Canadian snipers were firing special ..50-caliber McMillan tactical rifles, which are bolt-action weapons with five-round magazines. The Canadian snipers were the only Canadian troops operating without helmets or flak jackets as they had too much other equipment to carry. Each three-man team had one sniper rifle, three standard rifles (Canadian C7s), one of them with a 203mm grenade launcher.

either way anyone that can shoot as good as these guy scares the crap out of me. Good thing their on our side.
January 21st, 2006  
Ted

I once read the the Walther SA 2000 was designed to shoot accurate up to 2500 meters. But that is theory.... Has anybody shot this rifle before and can confirm it's accuracy?

My "shot of the century" was hitting a cast iron bell (approx. 1 ft) at 500 meters with a 1852 Lee Enfield front loader. The rifle had a .58 cal and shot a huge slug. Mine got jammed while reloading and when I was ready to fire I was one of the last on the range and lots of people watching. I carefully aimed at my target at a 100 meters, fired and hit the bloody bell at 500. It was ridiculously out of aim, but people only heard the solid and loud clang of the slug hitting the bell. I rarely got more compliments on my fine shooting skills as that day. And of course I never told them where I was aiming at...... Why spoil a perfect moment?
January 21st, 2006  
Dean

The WA 2000 was a limited production rifle that was designed from scratch to be the most accurate semi-automatic sniper rifle in existance, and they may well have accomplished that role. It was dropped from production when it became apparent that the asking price of the rifle was too high, and no law enforcement agencies (the presumed clients) simply could not afford it. AFAIK, there were no military sales.
At the time, the claim that it was the most accurate semi-auto may well have been true, and it porbably still is. Nonetheless, the rifle is limited by the fact that it was produced in only three calibres, 7.62mm NATO, 7.5mm Swiss and .300 Winchester Magnum. While they were the best calibres at the time, they have been surpassed by the .338 Lapua round, which has far better performance, particularly at long range. Nonetheless, it must always be remembered that the rifle is only half of the equation. The best sniper in the world could take that rifle and not hit the broadside of a barn. Give him back his own rifle and BOOM! Bullseye.

Dean.
January 21st, 2006  
Ted

Thanks for the info Dean....
January 25th, 2006  
A Can of Man

Anyone who's fired a rifle in the military will appreciate how HARD it is to do.
I envy that guy big time.