Sniper rifles

Shadowalker

What is the best sniper rifle currently avaliable! i belive the canadians are looking for a new one and wondering what you think is best! I perosnally think the british AL Artic warfare/L96 is the best for the smaller caliber rifles and possibly the .50 version is the best larger calibre rifle! what do you think!

Personally I think the Heckler and Koch PSG-1 is probably one of the best .308's available to mankind. I really enjoy my AR-30 .338, but it doesn't have the durability a military sniper would need. You can't really go wrong with a Barrett .50. I guess it depends on how much bang you want for your buck.

PSG.90 is swedish designation for L96 there is also the PSG-1 which i think is more a police sniper rifle with the MSG-90 being the military rifle. Is the MSG-90 used by the US?

I've owned a PSG90(AW) SWS w/ Hensoldt Sight 90 (Swede Army issue) since the 90s and I love it. It is one of the best SWS in the world.

H&K PSG-1 is an over priced very overweight assault rifle, IMO. An "ok" LE rifle, but not a viable option for military sniping. A Remington PSS will do just as well, and it and costs much less than the PSG-1. The MSG-90 is better suited for military applications, but I am not a big fan of it either.

what do you think of this for a rifle :
http://www.world.guns.ru/sniper/sn55-e.htm

I've fired the NTW as well as the RT-20. We also did testing on the 20mm (Vektor GA-1) vs. 12.7mm. The 20mm obviously has a lot more punch, esp the SAPHEI, HEI, API & PRAC rounds but again, obviously isn't as accurate as the 12.7mm. Still, the 12.7 just cannot do what the 20mm can. The recoil is a bit of a pain, but all in all, a 10 on the fun factor.

Nice, some where i read one of the shells it fires is a grenade? I take it this rifle isnt very easy to transport!
How does the build standard compare to european and US standards, as from what ive read the south african arms industry is advanced and produces good quality weapons!

SniperWannabee said:
Everybody know that the best is the M40A2 Custom Marine Corps sniper rifle

The M40A2 is a 106mm RCL. Say "Hey, how about that M40A2, it's the best custom Marine Corps sniper rifle" to any S/S in the Marine Corps, and they'll look at you as if you have two heads. ;)

Off by one

RnderSafe said:
SniperWannabee said:
Everybody know that the best is the M40A2 Custom Marine Corps sniper rifle

The M40A2 is a 106mm RCL. Say "Hey, how about that M40A2, it's the best custom Marine Corps sniper rifle" to any S/S in the Marine Corps, and they'll look at you as if you have two heads. ;)

Give him a little slack, just off by 1, A1 vs. A2. :p
Still wish they would have made in the the 300 mag version

US Marine Corps / Remington M40 & M40A1 (USA)

M40A1
Caliber: 7.62x51mm NATO (.308 Win)
Length: 1117mm (M40A1)
Weight: 4.08 kg empty w/o scope; 6.57 kg complete weapon
Barrel Length: 660mm (M40); 610mm (M40A1)
Magazine Capacity: 5 rounds in detachable box magazine
Sight: Redfield 3-9X (M40); Unertl 10x with Mil-Dots and BDC (M40A1)
Stock: Remington one piece wooden (M40); McMillan fiberglass (M40A1)
Max Effective Range: 800 meters

After beginning of the Vietnam war, US Marine corps decided to purchase some bolt action sniper rifles. In April, 1966, Remington offered to US MC its sniper rifle, built in the Remingtons' custom shop on Model 40XB target rifle action (target tuned model 700 action with heavy barrel). Initially, 800 rifles were offered under the designation of the M40 Sniper Rifle. Total of 995 M40 were built by Remington for US MC. Original M40s were built on Remingtons' model 700BDL actions, with one piece wooden stocks.
In the 1970's, whel initial M40s began to wear out, US MC began to rebuild its inventory into M40A1 configuration. M40A1 built around the same 700BDL actions, but with differend stocks (polymer, by McMillan bros), and with the different scope. M40A1s are built in Quantico by qualified US MC armourers wrom parts supplied by Remington (actions), Winchester (magazine floorplate) and other contractors.
M40s were used in Vietnam and in later companies with great success, proved itself reliable and deadly accurate weapons

SAKO TRG 42

Caliber: 8.60x70mm (.338 Lapua) (TRG-42)
Operation: Bolt Action
Feed: 5 or 10 round box magazine
Barrel: 27" (TRG-42)
Weight: 11.2 lbs (TRG-42)
Length: 46.5"
Trigger: Two-stage; adjustable for length, pull, horizontal or vertical pitch.

Features:
-Aluminum base stock attached with polyurethane forestock.

-Polyurethane buttstock with aluminum skeleton.

-Fully adjustable cheek piece (height, windage and pitch).

-Fully adjustable buttplate (distance, angle, height and pitch).

-Advanced stock design for right and left handed shooters.

-Detachable centre-fed box magazine.

-Independently removable trigger assembly and trigger guard.

-Double-stage trigger pull adjustable from 1 to 2.5 kg (2 to 5 lbs.). Also adjustable in length and vertical or horizontal pitch.

-Silent safety catch inside the trigger guard.

-Safety locks the trigger mechanism and the bolt in closed position with firing pin blocked from the primer.

-Long action only.

-Three massive locking lugs, 60 degree bolt lift.

-Receiver fastened by three fastening screws.

-Without open sights, auxiliary folding peep sights for emergency use.

-Integral 17 mm dovetail on the top of the receiver for optical day and night sights.

-Heavy free-floating hammer-forged barrel; deeply blued. Available also in stainless steel.

-Extra accessories include, e.g., muzzle brake/flash-hider, silencer (.308 Winchester), foldable bipod, match sight mounting set, night sight adapter, different slings and swivels, cleaning sets, heavy-duty transit case.

SAKO TRG 42 Picture

Re: Off by one

RnderSafe said:
Lil Hulk 1988 said:

I gave you the slack by not pointing out that you agreed with him intially. :lol:

:roll: Got to quit skimming and read the whole message :shock:

You got me there.....

Semper fi....

Re: Off by one

RnderSafe said:
Lil Hulk 1988 said:

I gave you the slack by not pointing out that you agreed with him intially. :lol:

Ever fire the RAMO M600? The flash is horrendous....wish I could have tried the Barrets before getting out.

the m82 is awesome... I saw one at an air show. barrel's almost bigger than my thumb... I'd really hate to be on the wrong end of that gunfight.

Back