Sniper rifles

03USMC said:
Are all the stocks for the M40A3 being manufactured by Mcmillain now?
Actually I heard somewhere that McMillan did win the contract for the M40A3.

egoz said:
The problem with sub-sonic ammunition is the reduced velocity and ineffectiveness at at long range. Even worst is that you can hear the bullet coming. If you miss the first time they'll easily be able to pick you up.

Exactly. But when you work in a dense forest what do you do. "Hear the bullet coming"? You mean the target will duck?

i wasn't suggesting that you could dodge a subsonic bullet. you can hear a subsonic bullet coming and going and therefor figure out where the shooter is. combine that with the close distance you have to shoot at and you'll be in trouble. it makes it that much easier to find out where the shot came from than shooting with a full load. which voids the point of having a suppressor in the first place. if you are going to use a suppressor there are plenty out there that will reduce all target indicators without the use of subsonic ammunition.

The people that have been saying that the SVD and the M82A1 are not sniper rifles are absolutely correct. The SVD is a weapon that increases the basic infantry squad's effective range. It is not a sniper weapon due to its 2-3 MOA accuracy, which is fine for its purpose, but not good enough for a sniper to put his faith into a rifle that might miss on the first shot due to a technical problem at extreme range in a dire situation. The problem with the M82A1 is that equipped it weighs over 40 pounds. Don't forget that snipers spend a lot of time as FOs (watching not shooting) and they need a weapon that is capable of both. Dragging 40 pounds in your hands and not even firing is a huge waste of effort and the "best" sniper rifle needs to be able to do both.

With that I present the two best rifles. I say two because one is a military weapon and the other is a hunting weapon. The best rifle that isn't currently employed by a military is the HS-Precision Lightweight Hunter chambered in .300 WM. It weighs in at a mere 5.5 pounds and has a guaranteed MOA of 1 or less. The best military rifle is the M24 SWS. I believe this because of the weight, accuracy, and quality that it presents. The stock is made by the same HS-Precision and is adjustable for Length Of Pull. The action is the venerable Remington 700. Also 1 MOA is very good especially since it is proven with M118 ammo (which isn't what I would call match ammo).

My favorite sniper rifle, well Sako makes good job in that area so its the TRG-41/42 as for larger calibers I'd go for the Barret rifles.

egoz said:
leandros said:
A "sniper" rifle is a weapon used by a "sniper". Killing a man at 2400 meters - do you know who you are killing?
I don't understand. The sniper team knew who they were shooting at. I'm sure they had a high powered scope and spotting scope and ID'd the target before taking shots at it.
The Finns had a different approach in the eighties. They developed a Sako bolt rifle with an integrated silencer in the barrel. To that they matched a sub-sonic 7.62 x 51 cartridge. That's a sniper! For a Finn, anyway!
The problem with sub-sonic ammunition is the reduced velocity and ineffectiveness at at long range. Even worst is that you can hear the bullet coming. If you miss the first time they'll easily be able to pick you up.

Sub-sonic rounds are manufactured by Lapua but not widely used by finnish military and standard sniper rifles issued for regular troops Valmet M85 and Sako TRG42 don't have silencers. A lot of field tests are done anyway and some sub-sonic ammunition is storaged by military but not commonly issued for regular troops. About sub-sonic in special force use i don't know about.

Most users and buyers of sub-sonic ammunition are common private people using sub-sonic ammunition usually in hunting and range shooting and reservists hobbying sniper shooting.

I know this is not exactly about sniper rifle but what can anyone tell me about Carlos Hathcock? Please excuse rank as Im not sure what his rank was. All I know was that he was one of the top USMC snipers.

actually vitaly, M82AI fits the definition of a sniper rifle and so does the SVD, now you may think they are crappy, but technically they are still sniper rifles, and since almost none of you know what that is i will tell you.

sniper rifle

n : an extremely powerful rifle developed for the military; capable of destroying light armored vehicles and aircraft more than a mile away

now i think that the M82A1 fits that description, but then again what does a dictionary actually know.

on another note, the Cheytac intervention is on e badass gun, i need to get myself one of those

actually. most of the .50 sniper rifles are actually anti material rifles, not anti pers rifles... They can be used for both of course. But thanks for the sarcastic remark Jason Bourne, I'm sure all the veterans and soldiers appreciate it.

Salient said:
I know this is not exactly about sniper rifle but what can anyone tell me about Carlos Hathcock? Please excuse rank as Im not sure what his rank was. All I know was that he was one of the top USMC snipers.

Salient, I watched "Sniper" on the History Channel and if my poor old brain wasn't malfunctioning at the time, I think they said Carlos bought his own, a Remington, but I don't recall the caliber but it was probably .308.

I think if I was inclined to train as a sniper, I would have to pick something smaller and lighter than an anti-tank weapon. These poor guys have to crawl close enough to a group of trained spotters for a shot to even qualify for training. In some things bigger is better but in rifles, 7mm is enough for me. Remember, James Bond favored a .32 cal. beretta auto. I think that was to demonstrate that he was confident enough in his manhood not to need anything larger. :)

Actually the first Rifle used by Gunny Hathcock was a Winchester Model 70 (PRE 64) chambered for the 30-06 round and the ammo was Lake City Match Grade.

Well Jason, upon further research I have discovered that the same dictionary that states your definition for sniper rifle also states the same exact definition for precision rifle, and Hot-diggity-damn am I pleased to find out that my .22lr CZ 452 Lux Precision Rifle is "an extremely powerful rifle developed for the military; capable of destroying light armored vehicles and aircraft more than a mile away". So I guess that shows what an inanimate object written by people with next to no knowledge on military subjects called the "Dictionary" knows. Oh wait, Why am I telling you this? You already stated it so clearly yourself.

If that .408 Cheytac rifle is supposed to be a standard caliber sniper rifle and not large caliber like 12.7mm or bigger then its a little bit too heavy for its role after all cheytac weights 12kg and barret m82 is about 13kg unloaded so Im just wondering which one is more practical :?

Hmmm...

Having built more than a few Sub MOA rifles such as: M1D, M1NM, M1A NM, M1903A3, Mini 14s, Remington 600 and 700s, a bench rest rifle made from an XP100, a 45/70 Remington rolling block, and three SKSs I won't call my self an expert on sniping but I do know how to build a damn fine rifle. There are lots of great rifles out there but I always thought that there is no such thing as a "best" sniper rifle.

Let me explain my reasoning. Honestly if I wanted to make a long distance kill I'd use a use a tank gun. I've hit troop targets out to 3200m with 105 sabot from a M60A3 at night. If I wanted to do something close I'd use a T/C Contender in .22 Hornet. Close and quiet a Supressed 22lr bolt gun. What I'm getting to is that you use the best tool for the job.

It's the shooter that makes the gun great. I built a super tight **** hair from not closing chamber 308 win. remington 700. One of my best guns ever. Brand new match reamer that cut the fluted Hart barrel like butter. I had trued the action so everything was in alignment. Pulled every trick in the book and a few not in it on it. This thing cut a single ragged hole with 5 rounds in targets out to 300 meters all day long and the price tab was $4K parts and labor in "92". I give to the customer and two days later he's on the phone bitching at me. I have him come in and he brings in a target that looks like it was shot with 00buckshot at 60 yards. We take the gun to the range after I cleaned it. Both me and my boss shoot it with factory ammo. Flawless. The customer looks at us like it was some sort of trick. He gets behind the butt loads his own special loads and can't hit shit. I'm a good shot but that gun made me look great. Give a great shot the same gun and look out.

I will say this if the gun is built on a Remington action by a good smith you can't go wrong. My caliber choice would be .338 Winchester Magnum that headspaces on the neck not the belt. The .300 win mag and 7mm rem mag are nice but the 338 is king.

Here is Chinese 12.7mm .50caliber sniper. Don't have much information on it, but it seems the scope is kinda in the wrong place?

post-11-1061527095.jpg

Back