Sniper rifles

True i'm not a sniper yet but one day i will be, and i also hope to one day compete for the Wimbledon cup.

I choose my sniper rifles based upon personal preferences rather than which one is "better", usually i will also have customizations made for a little extra time and cash. but out of all those i would want an M40A1 the most, then would come the Barrett, then would come the Dragunov, how much did you pay for your Barrett by the way.

I'd have to agree with the 5CAV fellow.

Rifles are designated by their mission, not the marketing folks, or the guys that write games.

In my world the Barrett is an HTI rifle. Granted some tend to use sniper, HTI, and tactical rifle sort of interchangeably.

My favorite sniper rifle is the Stoner MK11Mod 0 with it's suppressor. ( a variation of the Sotner SR-25 LWM.

Canadian Forces Long Rang Sniper Weapon.

Armament:
Ammunition: Amax .50 cal match ball ammunition
Calibre: .50 cal
Magazine Capacity: 5 rounds

Specifications:
Weight: 11.8 kg
Length: 144.8 cm
Barrel Weight: 4.3 kg
Barrel Length: 73.6 cm
Scope Magnification: 16 power
Stock: Two-piece fibreglass with detachable butt stock and bipod stud
Operation: Bolt action, magazine fed
Entered Service: 2000

As well, a Canadian sniper made a 2.4 km shot in Afghanistan with this rifle.

Now is it a canadian rifle because it's made there or because it's used by them?

Shadowalker said:
http://www.sfu.ca/casr/101-ctac50.htm

Heres a link to the canadian sniper rifle! i didnt believe your quote for the range but apparently it is true.

I don't know if the LRSW is Canadian-made, but it's now the standard for snipers in the CF.

Shadowalker said:
What is the best sniper rifle currently avaliable! i belive the canadians are looking for a new one and wondering what you think is best! I perosnally think the british AL Artic warfare/L96 is the best for the smaller caliber rifles and possibly the .50 version is the best larger calibre rifle! what do you think!

There is no best. There are good ones for specific missions.

M82/107=anti material rifles. Shoot a landed helicopter, major commo node or ADA system for example.

M24=the sniper movie type weapon for in a forrest or under normal situations (If there is such a thing as normal in a war).

SPR or M14=the movie "Black Hawk Down" scenario where you have a target rich environemnt and need to shoot often and quikly. You may possibly need to clear buildings and be able to keep the weapon at the ready as you're moving and a bulky M107 would be a horrid answer. Yet you require improved acuracy over a normal M16.

You idealy have a light, medium and heavy system. This way you have a "mix" of capabilities and the sniper team can pick the weapon which suits the mission best. 3ID might have liked a SPR for sniper teams as their were many targets and the city was out of control when they first went in. Now, you may want a M24, or M107 if your thinking about killing people who may try to take cover behind a wall and because the wind in cities is squirly. Yet the 3ID sniper might have found a 15 shot M14 or SPR that is semi automatic and easy to manipulate better because he might get tangled up in something unintentionally where he needs to be able to use his weapon like a psuedo assault rifle.

Just an opinion

e=mc2 said:
M14=the movie "Black Hawk Down" scenario where you have a target rich environemnt and need to shoot often and quikly. You may possibly need to clear buildings and be able to keep the weapon at the ready as you're moving and a bulky M107 would be a horrid answer. Yet you require improved acuracy over a normal M16.

M14 is a DMR, not a sniper rifle nor will it ever be....M24 yes, M40 yes, M14 no. Even the M21 is a warmed over M14 which became the DMR for both the Marines and Army.

Still one fo the best:
http://www.snipercentral.com/m40a3.htm[/quote]

In my opnion has to the Russian dragunov. It's small and compact but packs a big punch.

Dragunov_SVD.jpg

yeah the drag's a good reliable weapon

And the best sniper rifle is either the new LRLCR .50cal or the barrat .50

We have 2 sniper rifles in the Canadian Forces now... The first older one being the C3 7.62mm Parker Hale (British made) with a Mouser action and of course the Macmillan Tac 50... The data on the longest kill is correct... And now we are looking for a medium range sniper rifle... It is still in the testing stage but I think the are going to go with the .338... FN in my opinion makes one of the best sniper rifles right now, but of course technology is always changing.... I'm trying to find out where the contract to make them came from.... I think they are from Phoenix though... Strange because lately we have gotten away from buying kit from other nations...
Oh yeah: in my opinion the Dragunov is more of a good battle rifle than an actual sniper rifle... It's range isn't that great, but it would be a good weapon for a designated marksman. For Real sniping I think you would need something else

There are a lot of new excellent SWS's out there. But they all depend on what you want to do. The 308 is a great round, very versetile out to 800m (the Marines claim 1000m, but that's REALLY pushing it). For long range accuracy and velocity you need a 338 Lapua or better. Well actually, the 300WSM/Win Mag will do the work too. I know the M40 SWS had a long action built because they wanted to be able to accomidate the possible change to a 300WSM instead of using the 308 to get those extra long shots in.

But let's not forget that before all of this amazing balalistics technology and optics technology came out. There were guys with 6x scopes killing people at amazing ranges. Gunny Hathcock used to hold the record for the longest kill at 2250m with a .50 BMG, and that was back in Vietnam. It was recently broken in Afgahnistan though by a Canadian/American sniper team. They got a kill at 2430m with a .50 cal (American version).

A "sniper" rifle is a weapon used by a "sniper". Killing a man at 2400 meters - do you know who you are killing?

The Finns had a different approach in the eighties. They developed a Sako bolt rifle with an integrated silencer in the barrel. To that they matched a sub-sonic 7.62 x 51 cartridge. That's a sniper! For a Finn, anyway!

Problem with most sniper rifles is that they are usually developed by theorists shooting mainly at the range.

Damien said:
the m82 is awesome... I saw one at an air show. barrel's almost bigger than my thumb... I'd really hate to be on the wrong end of that gunfight.

I'd hate to carry it!

Actually the USMC Sniper System was designed with the suggestions and input of USMC Scout/Snipers.

leandros said:
A "sniper" rifle is a weapon used by a "sniper". Killing a man at 2400 meters - do you know who you are killing?
I don't understand. The sniper team knew who they were shooting at. I'm sure they had a high powered scope and spotting scope and ID'd the target before taking shots at it.
The Finns had a different approach in the eighties. They developed a Sako bolt rifle with an integrated silencer in the barrel. To that they matched a sub-sonic 7.62 x 51 cartridge. That's a sniper! For a Finn, anyway!
The problem with sub-sonic ammunition is the reduced velocity and ineffectiveness at at long range. Even worst is that you can hear the bullet coming. If you miss the first time they'll easily be able to pick you up.

03USMC said:
Actually the USMC Sniper System was designed with the suggestions and input of USMC Scout/Snipers.
Hence the new Monte Carlo stock on the A3. Still need to adopt the suggestion of a magnum round.

"In my opnion has to the Russian dragunov. It's small and compact but packs a big punch."

Dragunov's barrel's quality is very various that causes different accuracies between average and shot gun, but Dragunov would be much better if the barrel would be changed to a high quality one with tight tolerances.

And to answer the original question: Depends on ranges to fire at. For long ranges +600m i like our SAKO TRG-42 but for shorter ranges (usually available) 100-400m i would take a 7.62x51 semi auto rifle with an accurate barrel. FN-FAL, G3 or FAL's austrian copy Stg58 equiped with a sniper scope and bipod. A good scope would be Zeiss Diavari, at least 6x.

Semi auto for short ranges because with larger magazine capacity and rate of fire it is much better than bolt action rifles when presents a threat to get close contact with enemy and semi auto's worse accuracy doesn't matter at shorter ranges.

Back