Sniper requirements?

Cdt Matteo

I'm interested in becoming a Sniper after a few years of service. Does anyone know the requirements and procedure that it takes to become a Sniper? Do I have to be in any specific part of the Army (example Infantry). I want to be in the armored then after a few years join the Snipers. I'm a very good shot with my .22 :sniper:

We must all have an aim in life, (no pun intended), but your first objective must be to get accepted into the Armed Service of your choice. There will be people there who will soon spot you if you show the necessary requirements to be accepted for further training as a sniper. All of this will be subject to there being a need for trainees at that time.

I really don't have any knowledge in what is required, but I should imagine that there is a lot more to being a sniper than just being a good shot. A strong desire for absolute perfection in all things would not go astray.

You should be in great physical shape. Being a good shot will get you to sniper school but that alone won't get you through it.
Plus, anyone can hit anything with a .22. Move to a higher caliber and try hitting longer ranged targets.
And I'm not sure how the Canadian military will have this but I don't think there is a way you can be in armor and then become a sniper unless you changed your MOS to infantry or another MOS that supports snipers. The military will only send you to a school if they feel you should go. They're not going to send you there just because you want to go.

You should be in great physical shape. Being a good shot will get you to sniper school but that alone won't get you through it.
Plus, anyone can hit anything with a .22. Move to a higher caliber and try hitting longer ranged targets.
And I'm not sure how the Canadian military will have this but I don't think there is a way you can be in armor and then become a sniper unless you changed your MOS to infantry or another MOS that supports snipers. The military will only send you to a school if they feel you should go. They're not going to send you there just because you want to go.

That farthest I've shot is 400m at a pie tin. :sniper:

You need to be able to see a man's face that cannot see you and kill him. Watch him die. See his brains splatter out the back of his head and do it again and again and maintain the ability to look in the mirror and sleep at night. Got that stud?

It's very doubtful it'll ever even get to that point.
But he's gotta get past that .22.
And I wonder if he can hit that pie tin at 400m over and over and over and over again.

400 mikes at a pie pan isn't even close to what you need for marksmanship at that level. Not to mention land nav, field craft etc.

First concentrate on being the best troop you can be.

BRASS. Don't forget BRASS. Breath, Relax, Aim, Slack, Squeeze....if you ever make it into the Canadian sniper unit...

There are alot of soldiers that are deadly long range shooters that end up dropping out due to the likes of land navigation, cover and concealment practices and the mind over matter aspect that comes with MOS designation. No one can predict how they are going to act or feel until the actual taking of a life.

Shooting is just the start of it, and it is something that can be learned over time. Fieldcraft, immense self discipline and patience is what you need. Also don't forget, one of the functions of snipers is battlefield commentary, so you need to have outstanding observation skills.

So like I said, outstanding marksmanship will only get him to the door of sniper school assuming his MOS is okay and he's got no physical issues that bar him from entering. And that's only the start.
And like 03 said I think I said it before to some other aspiring "snipers." Concentrate on getting in to the service first. The world inside is extremely different from what you think it is. You might be trying to get into sniper school or you may be busting your ass off trying to get into a cushy staff job. You never know what'll happen to you once you get in.
The whole issue with being able to take a life through a telescope is so far ahead in the future that I'm not going to even bring it up.

Good point 13th Redneck and 03USMC, it's a long way off. I shouldn't start thinking of becoming a Sniper atleast until I'm a couple of years in service (makes sense). Thanks for clearing that up.

PS: It's not that I didn't know about the other requirements, it's that I thought they weren't as important as being a good shot. But upon further thought, they're much more important. If you can't lye down for a day looking at one general area, being a Sniper is not a choice. Etc...

If you join up and you find yourself excelling as an infantryman and you are hitting high expert over and over and you are in excellent shape and still don't find humping around in the hills and forests too boring or tiring, go ahead and tell your company sergeant or whatnot that you want to give it a go in sniper school. You may reach this phase before your second year in service is up actually. You don't necessarily have to wait several years before you go to sniper school, but leave that decision to until you get in.

400 mikes at a pie pan isn't even close to what you need for marksmanship at that level. Not to mention land nav, field craft etc.

First concentrate on being the best troop you can be.

I wasn't doing it for military purposes, i was just messin around.

Back